Yucatan Permaculture

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by YucatanPermaculture, Feb 14, 2012.

1. YucatanPermaculture

YucatanPermaculture New Member

Hello everyone,

I am from Canada, though recently decided to move to Yucatan Mexico.

I've been an organic gardener all my life and have been inspired by permaculture techniques for many years.

In Yucatan I see the prevalent practice of slash and burn. The soil here is primarily porous limestone with a little soil mixed in. There is extensive use of irrigation for both fruit trees and vegetable crops threw the dry season.

The traditional practice called milpa is to clear a section of forest at the end of the rainy season and burn it at end of the dry season. They use these plots of land for a few years and than move onto another area leaving the previous for 6 or more years to recover.

I've decided start an experiment here with some permaculture techniques. I am going to dig swales in the rocky land, employ the use of mulch and plant a food forest. A family here has let me 2 plots of land that are almost 1 hectare each to do my experiments on, and want to be part of this experiment.

I am sure I am going to learn a lot more from the farmers that I could ever teach them. But if I can reduce the need to irrigate, prevent erosion and improve soil quality. I hope to provide an example that can save them time, money and become more sustainable.

If anyone can provide me with more insight, and seed sources for the Yucatan. I'd be more than grateful.

Thanks everyone.

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Welcome to our forum.
    I cant wait to hear more about your experiments.

3. YucatanPermaculture

YucatanPermaculture New Member

Yucatan Permaculture

I started a blog. I've only outlined the intentions and took a few photos so far. Jorge is helping me with many aspects including translating the blog to Spanish.

https://yucatanpermaculture.blogspot.com/

4. Yogi Sinzapatos

Yogi Sinzapatos New Member