yield per m2

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by groen, May 1, 2012.

1. groen

groen Junior Member

How many m2 of vegetables do I need to plant to feed 50 people??? :rofl:

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The answer is (with great certainty) - it depends. How much and of what sort of food are they going to eat? For how long and how many meals a day? What season are you growing in? Where are you and what is your climate? What is your soil fertility?

3. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

A good book about how to design a nearly complete vegan diet in the smallest space is "One Circle" by David Duhon. Using Biointensive growing methods, about 4000 square feet per person is the smallest area determined by study by Ecology Action, this includes land needed to grow compost ingredients. It does not include any animals. The diets in "One Circle" can be grown in 1000 square feet or less but tend to be lacking in calories and some nutrients. I consider this research a jumping off point. How much land depends on what you're growing, if you can irrigate, length of growing season, etc.

Biointensive https://growbiointensive.org/

"One Circle" https://www.bountifulgardens.org/prodinfo.asp?number=BEA-0370

4. wmthake

wmthake Junior Member

I would not like to be the person saddled with the responsibility of feeding those 50 people.
    William

5. groen

groen Junior Member

Thanks for all the responses!
    During(most of) the summer months there will be 50 people at the same time, for the rest of the year there will always be at least 10 mouths to feed. All meals, vegetarian only.
    Warm, mediterranean climate, situated in central Italian hills.
    There is at least 1 hectare available, but because of the hills only 2000 m2 is level enough for a veg garden. This garden will be for intensive veggie growing only - enough other space available for compost, etc. The rest of the 1 ha, I would like to turn into a food forest - being on a slope. But they don't like the idea of many swales...
    ONCE we have done our permaculture bit, the soil WILL be AMAZING... ;)