yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lillypilly, Aug 27, 2005.

1. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

hello every one,
    having problems with our new cirtus trees. mainly the first one in the row.
    it started with yellow leaves just at the top new leaves. i sprayed it mag and seaweed spray. over the last weeks it got worst, yellow all over, a few dead leaves and a few ants. could it be scale???. the old lemon tree had really noticable scale on most of the tree. we cut down the and burn it. the other older about 4 yrs i think, has grown well since its been looked after however the leaves at the top have now gone yellow as well. any ideas what to do... :?:

2. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

I don't kow about citrus but I recently had my camelia's yellow leaves assessed by a nurseryman and he said it was a lack of some nutrient and suggested sprinkling epsom salts around the dripline. Haven't done anything yet as I need to reconfirm and take down some notes.

Tam

3. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Have the leaves gone yellow all over, or do they stilll have green veins?

If they have green veins in the leaf still, then that could be a sign of iron deficiency. Zinc deficiency also has a very similar symptom.

If it's all over yellowing then it's possibly a lack of nitrogen, where as a mottled patchy yellowing over the leaf can often be an insect problem of some sort..

Heres a link to a page with many photos of deficiency and toxicity symptoms in citrus that might help.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/CH142

4. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

the 6 other trees behind them are all well. can you do a home test of the soil. they seem to be fading into yellow.

5. matta1

matta1 Junior Member

citrus

Citrus are hungry buggers worse than a teenage boy! Yellow can mean many things but as already suggested likely a nutrient deficiency. Soil test By APAL cost about $120. As I always say there is no point growing or fertilising if you dont know your soil chemistry gone are the days one can succeed by the seat of their pants most soils are out of wak and very depleted. But it is not uncommon for citrus to show yellow at first flush if you have a lot of mulch it may not be broken down sufficiently to supply the needed nitrogen a thing called nitrogen draw down.
    Regards Matt

6. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

the leaves are starting to look better. they are less yellow today pale pale greenish yellow with green veins. i have been giving seaweed and chook poo pellets would these be missing trace elements. is there natural orgainc way to replace these missing things. why aren't the trees near by being affected. this tree had looked a bit yellow since we brought it home. the other mandarin differnt variey is growning really well. thanks for all your help. and joel thanks for the site.......... with the different leaves........ :)

7. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Rock dust is good for mineral replacement, I haven't been able to find any lately but I'm sure it's available somewhere. Men of the trees did some experimenting with rock dust and found it to be very beneficial.