WTF is Chia?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ho-hum, Jul 8, 2007.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Had time to research this a little bit. Interesting looking plant with great qualities.

https://www.chia4life.com.au/index.htm

https://www.eatchia.com/

For some years I have been 'smuggling' rolled oats into the family diet by way of hamburgers, sauces, soups, stews and cakes etc. Rolled oats in bread makes to go a pale grey colour but if you get past that its great.
    I am for 1kg a month for [family of five]. Sometimes I am successful but I always try anyway. Sadly, my kids wont eat porridge. Occasional cholestorol checks for us are just under 5 and we dont particularly eat 'healthy'.

Chia looks like another strategy we can try.

floot

2. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I cannot eat porridge as well but my family ask always for warm muesli. Oats, nuts etc. and you roast it lightly in a pan and eat it whiile hot like normal muesli.
    I once had chia in the garden. It looks great, it is a member of the salvia family, but the amount of seeds you get - forget about it.

3. caldera

caldera Junior Member

i've heard Chia is really amazing

cacao, chia, avocado, banana and honey is simply devine

so when you put chia in a cup (they are little black seeds) and add a bit of water they all stick together.. which is apparently really good for your insides... like a digestive cleanser

4. greeny

greeny Junior Member

I bought a herb called chia. it is about 5 foot high, scrawney annual blue flower head. Very hardy and self seeds easily. The ones here didnt make me at all interested in collecting the tiny and few seeds which tasted a bit bitter.
    If you want some seeds I can bring some to town one day.

5. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

6. Logos_Flame

Logos_Flame Junior Member

Chia is a super food, it was used by the ancient Aztecs who had no horses and were dependant on a system of long distance runners to deliver messages. These runners would run for 24 hours at a time powered by little more than chia seeds. I recently recommended chia seeds to someone who runs in the Canadian Death Race. He made a concoction with chia seeds, maca, and a few other herbs and it boosted his training regimine considerably. there are lots of things you can do with chia seeds, if you mix them with water, they form a gelatinous substance that tastes bland and can be mixed with just about anything.

good article here.

https://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/chia.htm

7. adrian

adrian Junior Member

it's a salvia. (salvia hispanica? i forget)

grows easily, pretty flowers, loads of seed.

i've even seen hippies put it in their bread.

8. adrian

adrian Junior Member

now i think of it, it grew well with corn.

and it sends out plenty of volunteers.

i think the ducks liked the leaves.