wrecking the coast

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by teela, Feb 16, 2007.

1. teela

teela Junior Member

We've just been holidaying in QLD, hired a car from Brissy then drove up the coast to Tin Can Bay, through to Hervey Bay and nearly into Bundy.
    We loved the quiet little towns like Tin Can and Burrum Heads, but I fear for these places they wont stay small for long. Every where we went there were proposed housing estates or new estates.........a huge land grab.
    I've already done the drive from Sydney along the coast to Brissy in 2002. Apart from a few national parks that area was already built up. Once sleepy seaside towns....... now highrises and housing estates. The whole trip was a big disapointment to us.
    Eventually the whole NSW coast and QLD through to Cairns will be just one big long suberb!
    Can't blame people I suppose, I'd like to live on the coast myself....but what about animal and bird habitat? Wheres the water going to come from? Wheres the sewerage going to go?
    I fear for our coastline, its fragile beauty could so easily be ruined.
    Stop this urban sprawl now!

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yes i did the route fromwest oz to gin gin last febuary ...

Sorry Surfers Paradise was the pits..Got photos to prove that its one big disaster waiting to happen there..

Does anyone know weather Surfers paradise was actually a surfers paradise or what..

The name seems so nice yet the place isnt

Tezza

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

My dad and I flew from New York to London one night, in 1987, and I commented that we flew over streetlights and intersections [on the way north] for about 1 hour. It seemed to be solid humanity as far as you could see.

My Dad said that the Australian coast from Sydney to Brisbane would look like that in 20 years [now] and Sydney - Cairns would only be 20 years behind.

It was a depressing sight. The only way that will stop is if we 'thin the herd'.

floot

4. frosty

frosty Junior Member

global warming and the sea level rise might sort it out

posted by Greg watson on the sunball list

frosty

5. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

the planning of new developpements does not seem to be very strong. It seems that decisions are made after a developper is intersted in a site rather than city councils make a plan first and then developpers are searched - am I right? The only thing helps is massive protest, demonstrations, occupations of the construction sites etc.