Worldwide Reforestation/Permaculture Festival!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by JasonChang, Jan 19, 2012.

1. JasonChang

JasonChang Group for banned users

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

This Permablitzer is on dialup.. there is no way I can view that. :(

In fact, I would go so far as to say the people that really need festivals like this are the ones that will have a hard time viewing. Heck, I cannot even get Highspeed no matter how much I want it, and Satellite here in America likes to block ports in the modems they hand out, and limit access without telling people as such, they are baiting and switching a lot.

Cable and DSL in the rural parts of the US is a joke. Yeah we gave millions of dollars to bring highspeed to cities, but if you live as a farmer outside of a city you are boned and out of luck like a 2nd class citizen.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with the show, I'll be thinking warm fuzzy thoughts for it.

3. JasonChang

Just wanted to address a common criticism of the idea:

Festivals are not sustainable and cause more pollution; which most festival's today are guilty of.

My answer to that criticism is to make it a "Zero Waste" festival like Harmony Festivals: https://www.harmonyfestival.com/greening And have mandatory "Green" Shared Ride transportation options.

And develop a formula that makes sure that all the energy that goes into the festival would have to produce a natural system that outputs more than it took in.

So for example a large festival would have to reforest 1,000 acres of desert (or whatever the formula ratio is) and ensure its preservation/sustainability.

So the idea welcomes every criticism so we can provide a good solution.

Please let me know your thoughts / criticisms / support of the idea.

I really believe it can/will do some much needed good in the world.

4. JasonChang

Thanks for the reply! I was unaware of the poor internet connections in rural areas. If feasible maybe the festival sponsors can provide permanent broadband setups for the reforested site? I'm not sure I'll have to think about that one some more.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

:( My town has broadband, but not a single ISP will hook my farm up with broadband (nor any of my neighbors) because it is too costly to bring it to the farmers. In addition, 2 years ago, the wires to my house were changed because they were the ORIGINAL phone lan lines from when the telephone poles first went up in the early 1900's. It was then that one of the local ISP companies polemen workers told me to get it tested to see if we could get DSL. We harass them monthly now because the people who work on the lines say we are close enough for DSL & other highspeed options, but the engineers at the company won't allow the work due to $$$$$.

Good luck all the same.

6. JasonChang

ahh ic interesting. i never really thought about this issue before, but i guess it makes sense as the population is very low in rural areas. I wonder if Google has anything in the works for this type of issue.

I was thinking as we transition to a Sustainable Food Production Economy, something like Massive Food Forests should have an interactive system setup that shows on a map when / where specific fruit and vegetables will be becoming ripe so the farmers will know when / where to harvest.

Kind of like a Google Earth, but for keeping track of massive food forests.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck with your broadband :)