Worlds gone Mad

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Terra, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Terra

Terra Moderator

I dont know why i punish myself doing this , it would be easy to just switch off . I was reading on the PRI down about 8 articles was a SWAT team raid on a fresh milk "seller" of course in the USA . So here i am wondering what is actually behind this sort of legislation (Im a sucker for conspiracy lol.) How many years of jail would one do for sharing something as divine as horror of horrors fresh milk that was milked by hand . A quick scratch around found a big list of similiar stories on gardens chooks ect , could a handfull of people really undermine the massive corporations that must be driving this , even if produce was freely availiable how big a percentage of the masses would swing away from what they are used to , vac wrapped and availiable 20 hrs a day .

https://permaculture.org.au/2011/08/05/armed-raid-on-raw-food-producers-the-fda-hasnt-changed/

stuff this im off to prune the vines
    Rob

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    I haven't read the PRI article but am aware of the issues. The problem is that some foods are potentially dangerous when sold raw (raw milk carries distinct public health risks when sold in large amounts). In NZ you can sell 8 litres of raw milk per person per day from the gate. This acknowledges that some people choose to drink raw milk and they can buy direct from the farmer. Makes sense to me - I always want to know the farmer in a case like that. I don't think that raw milk should be sold via ordinary food chains, where you can't tell what's happened to it or which farm it came off. I also don't think it should be transported large distances or stored for the longer periods of time that that requires.

Probably the laws should be changed, but I'm not holding my breath. I think we're better off encouraging small, local producers of raw milk to sell from the gate than enabling big businesses to sell it via the mainstream markets. In the end, with peak oil coming, we need to be working towards every neighbourhood having a small dairy herd anyway, so lets not fight for something that's just part of the unsustainability of our species in the world.

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Terra, I think the world went well past certifiable a while ago. What you are seeing is the last throws of any sanity dissolving into a gibbering blob rocking back and forth in the corner.

The depths of insanity ain't a pretty place.

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Oh yeah, that is definitely an accurate description of me this last 2 weeks. I am utterly fried mentally, & I know it. :(

5. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

In that case Paka, I recommend you stop listening to, watching and reading anything 'NEWS' related. It is not much more than infotainment, and it is a very negative and non-empowering type of Infotainment at that. Better to get out and walk, read a book, discover the fairies in the bottom of your garden, anything really. NEWS is all meaningless drivel. You already know what is right for you and your world and what is wrong for you and your world. Best to go out now and concentrate on just living it the way you wish it to be.

6. Terra

Terra Moderator

We hardly ever see or hear good news its all mayhem , dont watch much i prefer ABC radio lots of interesting segments .

7. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

The banning of raw milk nonsense dates from the early industrial revolution in the US. Humans lived in filthy conditions in the city, imagine how they treated cows? Dairies were set up next to distilleries to make use of the mash leftover from distilling spirits. Feed the cows waste from making liquor. Kinda permaculture idea, except they didn't take the feedback that this made cows very sick, and their infected udders poured pus into milk, that was then distributed with no refrigeration to the urban masses. Of course people got sick. Homegenization and pasteurization started as a response to this. So, yes, it is problem associated with an industrial food system, but it is the industrial food system of 150 years ago.

There are plenty of large dairy farms in California and Pennsylvania where raw milk is legal and nobody ever gets sick. Why? The standards for bacterial levels in raw milk are multiples stricter than for pasteurized milk. One case of illness and the farmer is in trouble with the feds. When the rules were made, they made sense for what was happening at the time, though it might have made more sense just to shut down the disease ridden dairies. Today, the rules are just denying educated consumers choice about what they take into their body.

Futher, raw milk is far LESS at risk of serious bacterial contamination than pasteurized. Yes, that's right, live milk naturally inhibits bacteria, while bugs run through pasteurized milk like wildfire. Live milk still has an immune system, pasteurized milk is rotting from day 1.

JMO.