World’s First Lab-Grown Burger to be Tasted in London

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Peter, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Peter

Peter Junior Member

2. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

3. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Totally wrong.

4. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

Why?

5. Peter

Peter Junior Member

It is unnatural.
    When lab's use nutrient solutions they never declare the exact contents and many nutrients are chemical not natural.
    If this were to happen there would be huge amount of job losses.
    Other people would imitate this and who knows what might be inside.
    That's just a few reasons.
    Cheers,
    Peter

6. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

But just think of all the methane that wouldn't occur (and consequently the climate change effect), all the land that wouldn't be wasted on growing animals, all the food that could go to humans instead of animals, all the CAFO's that would go out of business and all the antibiotics that we could stop taking (half of the worlds antibiotics are used on CAFO's) and therefore reduce the risk of super bugs? Why should we be supporting employment to create pollution while wasting land and food while reducing our ability to manage serious risks that could potentially wipe out millions of people (think SARS etc.)?

And what is 'natural' to you? Is a beavers den natural but a human house isn't? I piss into a tank of water to save my nitrogen for my plants, damn better stop using chemicals on my plants. And considering you are nothing but a structure made from chemicals with a supporting electrical system why is 'chemical' so scary. Or should I assume you don't use chemicals in anything you wear, eat, drive (or bike or walk) or in fact use in anyway?

Okay, just so you don't jump down my throat I simply put up these questions as a devils advocate for you to unpack your argument and think it through. There will be hundreds of reasons on either side of this debate which will need analysis over the next generation before we see it on our supermarket selves. Consequently we need to be rational in our review of it and not jump to conclusions. We have done this well with some systems and badly with others, we now have more information than ever to make decisions that will incorporate cradle to cradle factors (cradle to grave plus recycling) and hopefully be more prepared this time but paranoia or assumption will not help the discussion.

Just because it floats and doesn't look like a duck doesn't mean it's a witch (from Monty Python and the Holy Grail).

Cheers

7. Peter

Peter Junior Member

If cattle farmers were made to grow garlic for cattle feed the methane would be reduced.
    This lab produced food is no better than GM crops.
    The chemicals I am talking about are dangerous to people so they should not be used.
    Just my opinion and until these labs "prove" what they are doing is not harmful then I will stick to my opinion.

8. Earth's Internet

Yeah sure, what food for some is poop for others. And I'm sure the Scheiße Burger concept was peer-reviewed after all.

Scientist Makes Poop Burger

Maybe the Industrial Science behind the Burger will label it - "Soylent Brown"

[video=youtube;MkTG6sGX-Ic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkTG6sGX-Ic[/video]

My but the world's enlightenment just keeps getting better and better

9. Peter

Peter Junior Member

I don't trust any of them any more.
    The US has now made a law that no one is allowed to sue Monsanto if they get sick or die from food containing their products.
    I am off to catch a plane.
    Cheers

10. Earth's Internet

Well, the USA and Britain also allowed animal feces and ground up rendered animal parts to be added to herbivore feed and look how well that went ? It was viewed as okay though because it was Science-Based ? Joel Salatin even references this when he talks about Poop in your Chicken Nuggets.

11. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

12. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Mmmm, sounds positively scrumptious... :sweat:

13. matto

matto Junior Member

I imagine the calf fetal serum giving this product a wonderful glaze on the BBQ.

PETA really have the bull by the udder with this one.... "After slaughter and bleeding of the cow at an abattoir, the mother's uterus containing the calf fetus is removed during the evisceration process (removal of the mother's internal organs) and transferred to the blood collection room. (3). A needle is then inserted between the fetus's ribs directly into its heart and the blood is vacuumed into a sterile collection bag. This process is aimed at minimizing the risk of contamination of the serum with micro-organisms from the fetus and its environment. Only fetuses over the age of three months are used otherwise the heart is considered too small to puncture". https://www.humaneresearch.org.au/campaigns/fetal_calf_serum

14. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

Or "He says that one sample of muscle cells taken from a live cow during a biopsy could create up to 20,000 tons of cultured beef." according to the researcher responsible for the burger.

15. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Let them test this by trying to get a permit to import into Australia. Bet it would be stopped at the application stage.

16. matto

matto Junior Member

I was going by PETA's website, saying they needed to use fetal calf serum to grow out the cells collected from cows.

However its done, Ill stick to my soy protein

17. Earth's Internet

Maybe they'll call it PETA Bread