work wanted

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by mariet, May 6, 2006.

1. mariet

mariet Junior Member

I am on a break from my permanent job and can't afford to actually have a holiday. But I do have an idea that somewhere there is an opportunity for me to have a paid break where I can work and learn new skills. I wonder if there is anyone who needs a worker for a couple of weeks, preferably in an organic farming situation. I grew up on a farm and am most interested in food gardens, having been self sufficient in all vegetables for the last 4 years and fruit for the last year. I also have a passion for sheep's milk cheese and it's production. Anyone with a good idea for me please let me know. I think that the idea of long service leave and no money could be depressing but I also think there are opportunities out there if we just care to look! Cheers, Marie

2. Bluerose

Bluerose Junior Member

3. jackie

jackie Junior Member

Went of an organic sheep chesery in Tassie south of Hobart . Called Grandvewe Cheeses. https://www.grandvewe.au.com phone (03) 626704099 Haven't checked the website but . au.com looks back to front. They seemed quite a new business in a lovely strawbale building. They also do orgainc wine. could be of interest?? Hope this helps.

4. mariet

mariet Junior Member

work wanted

Thanks for the ideas. With wwoofing isn't it just accommodation provided, not wages? I will try the cheesery, sounds like something that would do the trick. Ta

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Marie,

WWOOFing is a cultural exchange program: You provide your host/s with 4-5 hours-per-day of your time/expertise/willingness-to-learn, and in return they provide you with three meals-a-day, a warm bed, and as much cultural/social/evironmental activities as you can negotiate.

Sure, WWOOFing will generally not 'earn' you any money, but whilst you are actively WWOOFing you will not be spending it either. So the money you save in food, housing, etc., can offset any ongoing expenses you may have; mortgages, car loans, insurance, rates, etc.

Have another look at WWOOFing, Marie, because the contacts you make can almost certainly lead you into paid work.

Cheerio,

Mark.

6. mariet

mariet Junior Member

work wanted

Thanks Mark, you're right about the opportunities. I've been trying to line up a bit of pruning work in SA and some olive picking. So far it's worked really well, I have tentatively lined upabout a week's work and the offer of a house for 10 days. Nothing organic though and as you say no learning, plus no food!, and still a fair bit of travelling to do. I may just go the woofing option. Cheers, Marie