"... work is love made visible." Paul Joseph

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by helenlee, Jun 10, 2014.

1. adiantum

adiantum Junior Member

I cannot see the Southern Cross or Canopus or Alpha Centauri at all from here. I have, in my life, seen them, but only because I lived in Bangladesh for three years, and there they all barely crept above the southern horizon part of the year.....

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

We have the PROPER set of stars down here. The ones that God had left one when she was done got tossed up your way...

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

lol ... lol ... lol ...

That made me smile a lot : )

I would never have been game to say that, but, yeah, that's how I feel too : )
    I have a real "thing" about the Southern Cross. My daughter & I were discussing the stars the other night & she was teasing me by saying that one of the stars in the cross would probably burn out & fall out of the sky. Then we both rolled around laughing thinking about all the tattoos & bath towels that would become obsolete : ) : ) : )

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I thought you could see the Cross from all countries, but that Australia was the only place you can see it every night of the year? (Which means nothing because the amount I know about the stars & planets you could write on a cigarette paper & still have enough left to roll a racehorse.) : )

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Tony would never allow it. Think of the cost of replacing all the flags in Canberra!

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I deliberately didn't include flags : ) My old man was a WW2 veteran. He had a rabid hatred of having flags printed on anything. Apparently it contravenes some important military codes of ethics, & perhaps even some laws??? We never had any sort of flag nor the Cross printed on anything when I was a kid & I have never even considered it as an adult.
    He also used to go spare about people having flags on poles in their yard & leaving them flying all the time. Apparently you're supposed to take it down at night? All sorts of flag protocol ... I used to know some of it but can't remember it anymore : /
    A legacy of having old parents ... I have more than a couple of weird ways : )

Tony? Don't mention bloody Tony. He's probably budgeted to do away with flags & have us all stamped with a bar code instead : (

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I was talking to songbird a few times last winter (his winter) & was thinking the same thing : ) I was luxuriating in the gorgeous summer weather here while reading about snow storms & looking at photos of beautiful sparkling snowfalls on my screen. It's a strange feeling to experience connection & distance & difference simultaneously : )