wood stoves

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by teela, Oct 26, 2011.

1. teela

teela Junior Member

I want a wood stove. Can anyone recommend a good brand/type? I want one that is efficient on wood and can keep the house nice and warm. I've been looking around on-line and seen some nice ones in the Grass Roots mag...they arn't cheap. Let me know what sort you have and how well it works for you.
    Thanks

2. annette

annette Junior Member

Hi Teela, I've been looking for one too. Have seen a few second hand ones on ebay but they have been too far away to go and pick up. Where are you that you are near a volcano?

cheers
    Annette

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

There is a discussion list just on stoves; a very important international environmental concern.
    I think it is based here:-
    https://bioenergylists.org/
    Linked with the biochar-in-soil 'movement'

Also
    https://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Not too sure where you are, if you arent in NZ then this is of no use to you, but, I had to replace our free standing firebox.
    I got a Lady Kitchener from Firenzo.
    Its a carbon neutral stove that has a proper wet back as opposed to a hot water booster and I can cook on the top.
    There is an oven hood that you can get which means you can then bake on it as well.
    That looks alittle like a bbq hood, cant tell you much about that cos I havent got that yet.
    It isnt a woodstove like the old Aga stoves tho but does heat the whole house on not much wood.
    You can get eco flue kits to go with them which make them even more efficient.

5. teela

teela Junior Member

I used to have an old Simpson woodstove in our other house and the one before that was an old Metters. Both were similar. I loved cooking on them especially in the middle of winter. They both required a fair amount of wood, but we used to get our wood free back then...now we have to pay for most of it. I've been in this place 3 years now and for me that's 3 years too long without a woodstove. I am thinking about an Aga but don't know much about them. And I'm not sure if I should just hunt down another second hand Metters or buy new. If I do decide to buy new, before I part with my hard earned cash I'd like to hear others experiences with the newer ones. I'm not really wanting a wet back (a woodstove that heats water). I want one that I can keep going 24/7 cause where we live has cold winters and I can't stand being cold. I also don't want the firebox rusting out within a few years or anything like that.

Annette the volcano is dormant and I'm in SA :)

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
  7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

South Australia - probably.

8. teela

teela Junior Member

Been a while since I started this topic. After a whole heap of research I have since purchased a Jindara Cottage woodstove/combustion. I am hoping it will serve me well for the next 10 years at least.
    Has anyone else got this type/brand? I'd like as many hints and tips on how to get it to perform at it's best. I haven't put it in yet...infact it's still at the shop. Bring on winter!