Women’s Only PDC in Far North Queensland with Rosemary Morro

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Michaelangelica, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Women’s Only PDC in Far North Queensland with Rosemary Morrow
    Courses/Workshops — by Kym Kruse

Sunday 29th November – Sunday 13th December 2009
    Walkamin • Near Cairns • Far North Queensland
    Don’t miss this unique opportunity to take part in a very special two week Women’s Only Permaculture Design Certificate Course, taught by one of the best, internationally renowned teachers in the world. Rosemary is the acclaimed author of “The Earth Users Guide to Permaculture” and a role model for all aspiring female Permaculturists. This rare Women’s Only event promises to be an opportunity not to be missed. The course will incorporate intensive theory and practice in all aspects of Permaculture Design. This course is being held at FreeRange Permaculture’s demonstration site “Rosella Waters”, a stunning 6 acres situated right on the banks of the Barron River.

Click here for full details (226kb PDF).
    https://www.permaculture.org.au/files/fr ... morrow.pdf

2. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Re: Women’s Only PDC in Far North Queensland with Rosemary Morro

Events promoted as Women Only events really give me the sh*ts. If I advertised a Mens Only event or wanted to create a Men Only club all hell would break loose and every man hating, womens lib lesbian would cry foul, protest and/or demand the right to join. Decades old Mens Clubs have been forced to change their membership criteria yet women are permitted to conduct these events and create single gender clubs without any complaint and frequently receive government handouts to promote such events. The gender balance has tilted too far in the opposite direction, women campaigned for equality, got it and now demand preferential treatment. Because of equal rights, I no longer give up my seat and stand for a woman (unless she is very aged and frail), no longer care about what language I use, things that were taught to me as a child but I now think to hell with it.

3. Salkeela

Salkeela Junior Member

I nearly did a similar rant myself....

As a woman, I can see no reason why I would want to attend a Women Only PDC course in preference to a mixed sex course.
    ARE Men Only PDC courses run?

On a related note - I have taught in single sex schools of both varieties and also in various mixed sex schools. As a result of these experiences (and of my own single sex education) I refused to send any of my own children to single sex schools.

I find a mixed environment to be very healthy.

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I can see reasons fo single sex groups and I can also see your concern and anger
    But sometimes women and men act differently in diffent groups.
    After three years of taking my kids to playgroup I relaised I had become an honary equal "mum the day I had to make my own cup of tea. :lol: :idea:
    Women may defer to amn's opioion. many men "talk over' women without even knowing it.
    One female executive I knew was allegic to wheat (it makes her aggrssive as it does me). So . . .before any important Company Board meeting she would be shure to have a few sandwiches and hour before the meeting . This enabled her to be more assertive and combat the tostesteone filling the room. :!: :wink: :twisted: :lol:

Men's groups are usually all about who has the biggest dick. :shock:
    (Expressed in differnt ways but basically it is a power battle)
    I find them very boring and far prefer the company of women.

I would not send my kids to a single sex school either because boys' tend to 'objectify' girls and girls' 'romatacise' boys in such situations.

However recent reseach has found boys & girls may do better in english maths and science in single sex situations. :bear:

5. Salkeela

Salkeela Junior Member

Interesting comments.

I actually find an ALL FEMALE environment much more intimidating than a mixed environment. Perhaps it is historic and left over from my schooling?

I have to say that the men I work with are in no way like the men you describe. I do however work within a really cohesive and functional science team where the strengths of each individual are appreciated. Sure we have debates (and they can even get quite lively) but the underlying respect is there - coupled with a humour that keeps everything moving along. :)

Perhaps teaching is an area where everybody has more respect for others?
    Actually, on second thoughts, the one place I did experience bias because of my sex was in a school; it was at the Boy's Grammar School I taught in when I was first qualified. Although having said that it later transpired that that school had a lot more problems than I encountered (ie much worse types of abuses came to light). So that is hardly a fair example. Also it shocked me because I have not experienced that bias since (nor had I before).

Maybe you all just need some nice N.Irish blokes. :D Honestly our lads are gents! :wink:

6. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I cant see an issue really.

If a male wanted to apply they would have a hard time rejecting them on the basis of gender unless they specify 'FEMALE ONLY TOILET FACILITIES PROVIDED',[hint hint] which is how small employers can get round it. Otherwise, the organisers could probably be given a hard time by an affronted male.

Sometimes though we need a bit of cross gender respect and understanding. The aim of this course is to empower women in a discipline that often requires 'heavy lifting' and maybe this course will help them with strategies and ideas to do this. We even have a current thread here from a lady who wants to learn 'manual labour'.

Consider that the organisers may wish to attract ladies from some of our cultural minorities that may feel uncomfortable attending a mixed course. The course may be open to women who wish to bring children. Culturally, many women dont like to enter mixed situations by themselves. See this as a unique opportunity for those women to attend a PDC without the nagging doubt of 'who is going to be there'.

Certainly I can see and understand the argument about sexism but is it that big a deal? It will probably involve a couple of dozen people [females] and is hardly a 'plot' by The Sisterhood.

Now, what I would really like to see is someone run a camping type PDC for kids/teens over two weeks and a 'Junior Permaculturist' Certificate issued and a Free PDC offered to any current teachers who attend and assist. Kids could upgrade their JPC to a PDC at a later assessment. Something similar should be organised with the Guides/Scouts.

Just my opinion.... :D

cheers,

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

From the Manual Labour woman - My initial response to Derek's post was "way to go Derek!" But on reflection I suppose it depends on the skills you want to learn and what the skill mix of the other participants is. Selecting by gender alone is probably stereotyping. If I was to do a course to learn how to use - gee an angle grinder for instance - I wouldn't want to find that I was the only person at the course who had never used one and everyone else was there to learn advanced skills. Whether they were men or not wouldn't bother me. The big bad world out there though says that men have to know this stuff, women shouldn't and any man that would have to learn it alongside a woman is a bit of a mummy's boy, and the woman must be butch.

In fact a mixed class would be better - cos then I might be able to catch me a man to take home for later use!

8. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

This did have the wife and I chuckling for ages...

cheers,

9. PermaLearner

PermaLearner New Member

Hey there all, I'm enrolled to do this course and thought it would be a great idea to go to a womans only course. Why? Well I live in SE QLD in the middle of a historic man-drought. I'm really interested in permaculture but to be honest if a half way eligible bloke was on the course I'm sure I'd pay him wayyyy more attention that the lecturer (What, don't look at me like that, its a biological imperative!) So in the end its a good way to get my money's worth from the course.

PS re: Maybe you all just need some nice N.Irish blokes. Honestly our lads are gents!

SEND 'EM OVER ! :lol:

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'll take one too.... :wink: Maybe two if you get a discount for the second one. :shock:

11. skyeriquelme

skyeriquelme New Member

Great discussion.......and largely missing the point.....in permaculture we teach the importance of diversity....which is one of the factors in ensuring resiliency in any system...see Buzz Hollings recent work in extending the ecological concept of resiliency to social and economic systems....SO ... we need to build in diversity not just in our gardens...also in our groups..our courses...our projects....SO mixed courses YES!!!! .....all-womens courses YES !!!....all-mens course..YES!!!...courses for indiginous only YES!!!...courses for Corporate Executives YES!!! courses in Portugues only (or any language you prefer!) YES!!!.......courses for hedgehogs...when I learn to speak hedgehog...why not!!!!

Skye
    UniGaia-Brasil.org

PS - Rosemary - Great to hear you are active!!!!! :rolleyes: