Winter vege suggestions

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by pebble, May 9, 2007.

1. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    I have a small bed (a bit over 1m x1m) with a couple of inches of dryish compost on top of clay soil. It's under a plum tree and so the ground tends to be dry, and gets half a day's sun at this time of year. I was wondering if I could grow some winter veges there.

I don't like brassicas sorry. I'm thinking maybe corn salad from seed, and silver beet from seedlings but am not sure what is likely to grow. Something easy would be good.

I live below 45 degree S on the East Coast of the South Island of NZ (coastal Otago). Not much rainfall (relative to southern NZ) although the climate is damp in winter, and somewhat mild with intermittent heavy frosts.

tia,
    pebble.

2. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

sorry I have no idea about your climate, but I reckon you can't grow much
    1.) under the plum tree
    2.) with heavy frosts.
    The roots of the plum tree make it difficult working the soil and draw nutritirns out of your veggies. And I reckon, in your climate there is too much shade (?) under a tree.
    Don't you have a sunnier spot? Perhaps you try something like a mist bed to raise the emperature (old fashioned gardening books have recipies how to make this sort of bed)
    Endivie might be good and roots and perhaps you like these chinese brassicas? lambs lettuce is yummy.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    It's a spot where I've just shifted a compost bin from, so am trying to make use of it.

The plum is cut high, so there is no shade from it at this time of year.

My mum reckons you can't grow anything under a plum tree either, but at the moment I have mallows and parsley growing under the same tree, plus assorted herbs. That's with very little input from me, so I figure if I gave it some attention and water I might be able to grow something in the leftover compost.

The frosts... intermittent and I can usually keep chickweed in the more sheltered spots. There is a large shrub on the southwest side that may give some shelter from the frosts too. We'll see ;-)

What is a mist bed?

I could probably rig up some kind of cloche or glass over the bed.

Endive sounds interesting - is that an annual?

I'm never sure what lambs lettuce is, as the name seems to get used for several plants???

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Oh, lambs lettuce = corn salad (valerian family). Yes, very yummy. I'd be pretty happy if I could get that going.

5. Plumtree

Plumtree Junior Member

Silverbeet seems to grow well almost anywhere! If you water it well maybe the plum tree won't be a big factor. It is deciduous and will drop some leaves allowing more sun in. What about Kale, broad beans or even snow peas????

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    The tree really is high enough and the sun low enough to not make shade a problem. There is shade from trees at the other end of the property though (evergreens unfortunately), which is why the bed doesn't get sun until midday.

Silverbeet, good. I wasn't sure if it was too late to plant them.

7. Plumtree

Plumtree Junior Member

You know your climate best! We are high and it gets very cold. Our silverbeet is being planted progressively and is still growing well. THe weather has been unusually warm so most things are growing. In my experience, nothing grows when its very cold but it does have a head start when things warm up.