Windmill aeration for pond any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by daisy_dukers, Oct 6, 2007.

1. daisy_dukers

daisy_dukers Guest

Well my new house has a rather large pond in the backyard that was used for raising fish by the previous owners, unfortunately either they took thier areation system with them or there was never one installed.

I have been researching my aeration options and I am leaning towards a windmill aeration system.

Does anyone have any experience in windmills.
    Koenders is the brand I am leaning towards...

My other option is a electric compressor type setup that will cost me around 80 bucks a year to run...It is considerably cheaper though...

I will also be adding a large continuous use water pump for a couple of fountain type effects.

I would also probably use Bubble line rather than a couple of airstones.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ppp

ppp Junior Member

you do not have to go to the complexity of air compressors to provide aeration of water.The fountains you spoke about will provide aeration as well, the more "splashing" and time in the air the better.

Alternatively, you could build a system using the power of the wind to directly "splash" the water. Perhaps just a small paddle.

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

I agree no need to rush to buy just yet..

What do u want the pond for?

Generally a few goldfish can survive no airetion...depends on pond size..

freshwater crayfish dont require airation depends on size

Most eating fish will require oxygenation depending on pond size..

Windmills only work in the wind...

If interested we have another regular poster he has a web page you could visit if u wanna raise something fish visit backyardaquaponics
    baring that google it

Im doing it at my place and have seen his system in the flesh..

Tezza