Wild ducks eating my garden !

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by strud, May 19, 2008.

1. strud

strud Junior Member

I've just got 2 new garden beds running with peas, braod beans onions etc all coming up now and was very happy until I realised the local wild ducks quite fancy my peas and radishes.

What do y'all suggest ?

Putting netting over the whole lot is too much an effort. Sitting aroung to pop them off is out as well.....

Anything in particular they hate or wil scare them ?

Can't leave the dogs out in that area.

2. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

Re: Wild ducks eating my garden !

Hi Strud,

What a great yield! Wild ducks! Wild ducks are in extremely low numbers across Australia, with probably less that 10% of all native waterbirds remaining. You are doing a really good job at supporting the biodiversity of Australia's birds! see
    https://www.birdsinbackyards.net/finder/index.cfm

But, since we need to grow food:

1. My domestic ducks keep the wild ducks away from their areas.

2. Is the area fenced? they might not land if there's not much room.

3. Once fenced, it is pretty easy to lay a net over.

4. perhaps a scarecrow in the shape of a hunter - complete with orange vest and (fake) gun should probably work.

5. Plant extra peas and radishes and accept some losses.

Kind regards,
    Tamara

3. MikeB

MikeB Junior Member

A cheap and effective bird frightener if to hang a couple of old CDs on some fishing line above the garden beds.

String the linje between two uprights and from that tie another length of fishing line to hang the CDs off. you could also draw an eye on each CD on one side. Looks a bit funny but the wind blowing the CDs around causes flashes of light and the birds don't like it too much. (Unless you have bloody Mynah birds and they to play with them - mongrels.)

Easy to make, cheap but effective and last about 12 months before the refective foil layer starts to break down. (Please don't use your installation discs for your computer, program discs or anything else you have installed on your PC) Scracthed CDs/DVDs work very well.

The other option is to do nothing and enjoy the ducks. At least you know they are safe in your yard.

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

If you find something that works (CDs, painted eyes, etc) be sure to move them around, or they will lose their effectiveness.

Sue