Why not fruit and vege from China?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Grahame, May 18, 2011.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Oh dear me!!?

3. annette

annette Junior Member

Lucky no one seems to be injured by the exploding watermelons. Apart from the questionable fertilisers etc. being used, China has another problem. The inflation rate is very high and everyone knows that they can't keep raising prices so they are cutting corners in agriculture. Even if it is not safe. Those watermelons were cut up and fed to pigs and fish. You know you can't buy australian smoked oysters anymore? All from China. I personally would not eat anything from China for many reasons. It may not be safe and too many food miles.

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yep the way things are going china is going to be our food basket, all f&v all seefood products raised in the heavily polluted water so their rivers and deltas, the fresh f&v irrigated with the same water, and once our farmers have gone to the wall for the sake of shop profits we can easily be held to ransome.

len

5. geoff

geoff Junior Member

Why would China become our food basket? All the economic forces seem to be set against that idea. Start with negative consumer sentiment over here, which is ever increasing thanks to the myriad stories such as this one. You've also got increasing internal consumption which will mean less and less escapes for export, increasing socioeconomic status which implies that their current near-to-slave labour (by our standards) will be a thing of the past and ever increasing fuel prices, all meaning that current margins wont be able to be sustained over the long term.

The shops can only hold us to ransom if they have something we can only get from them. The permaculture movement, amongst others, is all about ensuring we aren't able to be held to ransom because we will be looking after ourselves to a greater extent than ever before (ETA: ) in the last 20 or so years, since we gave up feeding ourselves in the first place.

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

There is a bit of a problem building with Chinese investment in Australian farms. It is happening in this area with dairy farms for example. There are too many people going after too little food already. So there are more than one way for a hungry beast to skin a cat.

7. gardenlen

i guess that means all our seafood still comes from china's polluted waters no matter what, due to some fringe lunatic political thinking about stopping all fishing on the east coast.

you go to a fish and chip shop nowadays (we don't i just like to see what's going on) gone are the days of asking for a piece of cod or snapper and chips all they sell is fish and chips the fish is basa, of course straight from the polluted mekong delta for aussie consumption.

so what i can take from the thread now is that pemaculture is somehow going to feed the whole of australia?? when bellies are empty people do extreme things, look at egypt.

by the time their slave wages catch up it will be too late as our farmers will be on the doll queues,fresh (if it can be called that) f&v is already now expensive for us at the lower end and with the carbon tax and its brother the carbon trading that will push the price of homegrown stuff through the roof, which will for that important period mentioned favour imported foods.

i would be thinking not everyone in permaculture grows enough let alone the lot and would be some who grow almost none, the best we can do is supplement, so carry that to the rest of our suburbs there is very litle food growing going on.

bring permaculture back to grass roots and start the snowball rolling as molleson tried around 30 years ago and there after it all got lost.

you seen the pirce of fresh fish lately nothing under around $25 a kilo' and most from somewhere overseas. want a mariana mix for a stir fry or pizza dig deep most of the ingredients will come from asia.

len

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Locally produced, organic, paying farmers fairly, reducing corporate agriculture and marketing.
    This is the way to go

9. gardenlen

agreed michael,

just what molleson would suggest, heard him do so at the permaculture show they have up here in brissy, but guess what even here not many mention it?? know why because the horse has well and truely bolted there is not a single housing estate around us that could allocate a couple or so 20 or 30 acre parcels of land for farmers to grow staple crops (if people want other they can grow there own if modest homes were built of say 700sq/mt properties, instead of yuppy lover mcmansions on 400sq/mts blocks with side rooves almost touching). and guess what the new developments aren't changing.

why? a great thing like permaculture lost it all; lost the grass root people, people don't know there is an alternative way unless it is shown to them, when i was a kid all our produce came from local farmers none even bought from other states, eggs, milk (pure and healthy fresh as the day), brasing or boiler chooks for those special sunday meals no such thing as chickens they were needed to lay eggs. as fresh as eggs double, triple yokers. and now that p/c is more like a worship inclucing the worship of earth science, it has been sullied. instead of now jacking up against people like me come outside the square and comfort zone take a look, the rot started with p/c for sale you got one contributor here says that unless you do expensive course you have no idea about p/c, wow what away to think, and not one manager/moderator bought him to task.

when i was a kid brissy had its markets in town but no, the yuppies demanded we had to be cosmopolitan, i see shows on tv where great cities still have their markets in town, almost no food miles. at the brissy markets they had porters to run your purchases up to the station where porters were employed to load it on your train and at your station porters loaded it on barrows that you used to wheel it to the car. food was more than affordable it was cheap. have a look at cosmo' brissy not even a decent affordable public transport to get to the markets and you need to join up to even buy there.

the land that once fed us is now all houses. the habitat is gone as well all a loss no gain.

len

10. Michaelangelica

https://sustainableportland.org/bps/index.cfm?a=340299&c=51589

https://nsw.greens.org.au/people/de-brierley-newton

https://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/cityfutures/SOAC/makingperiurbanfarmersonthefringematter.pdf

https://permaculturepathways.blogspot.com/2010/10/local-food-zoning-your-food-supply.html

https://sydneygreenring.blogspot.com/p/food-and-gardening.html

https://www.suite101.com/content/th...-at--your-local-sydney-farmers-market-a350433

11. gardenlen

looks good sounds good, but that is not what is happening up this way, the farmers were first pushed out to the lockyer valley which they polluted with dieldren and DDT and the land is still contaminated., and now out to what they call the western downs all the way clear felling millions of acres of needed habitat and further away from those of us who buy and eat their food, hence lots of food miles.

len

12. annette

annette Junior Member

Most people look at price when buying food. They want to buy australian but if the foreign one is cheaper, that's what they buy. Not all but the majority. I buy milk that directly supports farmers $3.19 but most will pay the $2. I don't judge it because people do what is best for them, in the moment, without thinking about long term consequences. It's a bit like the frog in the pot. You put a frog in a pot and gradually increase the temperature until it boils to death. It won't jump out as it doesn't notice the gradual destruction.

However there are lots of good things happening. Community gardens, more organic markets etc. Education is only viable when people want to learn. They can't see or don't want to see where we are heading and some though don't care as long as they get what they want. But I know people will need to change sooner or later.

Personally I don't try and change anyone to think differently. I try and walk the talk and I find if someone is interested then I will plant a seed and offer advice. Offer encouragement and praise any little effort. Do my garden and bring in extra produce for others to share.

Then chop wood, carry wood...........

13. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Im afraid that made in china or produce of china just means crap. electricals that last until the day after the warranty expires, screws and nails that can be bent in my hand, school sbuilt with soft steel and fall down, melomine in milk.

all that china is worried about is the dollar.

not worth risking anything from there

14. gardenlen

as annette says,

the pensioners get paid so little what are they to do starve in order to try and buy aussie made in processed foods, as far as i know there are no aussie made white goods might be assembled here but all componentry from asia. even in plumbing you may find that a tap brand saying aussie made is just assembled here with asian made components. even dried apricots i haven't seen aussie ones on the shelf for a long time, yup the horse has well and truely bolted, but don't be like the climate worship and develop per-capita figures to blame the individuals of the country, pensioners and other low income people need to eat. up here they have those yuppie markets where permaculture/organic product is sold way too dear for us pensioners to even think about going there. now where was that aussie grown asparagus? and is that aussie olive oil on the shelf realy aussie?

len

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm hoping to stay alive long enough to watch the events unfold with interest. Will Australia cope once cheap imports dry up after petrol prices hit the roof? Can we recapture previously lost industries so we can meet our own needs? I sure as heck hope so because it could be a really unpleasant retirement for me. Purely selfish of course! I can grow my own foods, but what if I need to replace roof sheeting, or buy a bucket to use as a compost toilet? Will they exist????

16. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

As the saying around here goes, plan for the disaster... ..hope for the best.

To that end, my wife and I keep working on the food production over the housing repairs for the last year. I realize a disaster can happen in my community easily as there is only three, 2 lane road for an hour to get to a major highway to get to a major city / metropolis 3 hours away. This winter due to a re-occuring landslide over the highway, we lost one of the 2 lane roads for several weeks making prices spike slightly with regards to gas and food.

That is certainly what people do, no matter where they are. I have actually been scolded by friends by paying a little extra for organic vs well, non-organic. Wal-mart has moved into the area, and has actually shut down a local grocery market by lowering its prices so much that people stopped going there.

I believe the problem at large though is apathy. The media (news sources) by and large produce what they are told to, not what an actual news story is. Imagine if CNN was allowed to actually break the atrazine / roundup story? Or the GMO foods so that the masses understood and demaded action! Question is will it happen? I am unsure since in this country, FoX News has been called an "entertainment show" and does not need to produce factual news.

It is problems like this that cause the apathy, & it is our awareness needs to get across to the masses.

17. gardenlen

mm not so sure we can narrow it down that far, people want full bellies, people on very low incomes that is we are one of those families and would like to not have to consider cheap imported food, but when you have greed of gov' and retailers this is the end result.

in our group here i realy don't think we reach the masses, even in my own posting list, and unless it is sport or the like the masses won't watch it on news/current affair programs either, but on the other hand it was amazing how the end of the world bullsh happening on the 21st got around so far and wide.

len

18. Michaelangelica