why is the goverment so stupid?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by teela, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Why on Earth do we just sit and wait for so many things in life???????

I think that if a person waits..Hell be allways waiting.....OR (she ( 8) :lol: )

If we wait for anyone else to do, or say something, we been waiting for,well be taking it to the grave..

Just Do It ........Yourself..only you can sort out your life,NO one else..

If we need a rain water tank..Lets bloody well go and get one..

If we want solar panels....Lets bloody get one and do it.

If we want a long healthy safe life or ourselves and OUR families.....Lets Bloody well Do It....

Permaculture................JUST DO IT

2. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

You're right, Tezza, as the old saying goes, "if you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself."

Calum MacLeod waited decades for a road to be build on his Hebredian Island home, but none was forthcoming. So he bought and studied a book on roadbuilding, and took his wheelbarrow, crowbar and shovel, and for over ten years, set to work building the bloody thing himself.

His own funeral procession was among the first vehicles to use Calum's road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calum_MacLeod_(of_Raasay)
    https://www.scotland.org.uk/guide/Raasay
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calums-Road-Rog ... 1841584479

3. CarbonAtor4NewDirection

CarbonAtor4NewDirection Junior Member

It is up to you the people to decide whom has the best policy on tackling Climate Change. I'm constantly coming across many younger generation people you have been labor supporters but now are voting for the Greens. My only comment to them is simply to be sure that the preferences go to Labor. I believe that Liberal have shown absolutely nothing in eleven years that they are in any way friends of the earth and responsible with their measures in tackling Climate Change.

I do recommend that by voting Green you are also fully aware of Labors 10 point action plan in tackling Climate Change. This plan has great scope and delivers a fresh alternative with a glimmer of light that sees a opening to real change.
    yes, I agree- to lead by example, this itself says leaps and bounds over any words including political speak.

Must say personally that the initiative shown by the Cooroy Climate Change group of locals is a leading example. It would be fantastic to see this type of initiative to spread all over Australia and be recognized by all levels of Government in power.

When Australia said no to Gordon below Franklin Dam Hydro Electricity project ;
    This showed the weight of people power and that Government being elected by the people are always accountable to them. Let this be a clear example to cast your vote this election and that I hope a conscious decision that the environment comes before economic policy.

4. teela

teela Junior Member

Tezza, I think you missed my point entirerly. What I was trying to say is it is up to the Gov to put in place some sort of guidlines and financial rewards for a environmently healthy options when building or renovating homes. As I've said before every new home built should have a decent sized rain water tank and a solar hot water service.
    If my old electric hot water service should kick the bucket tommorow I'd have no choice but to replace it with another electric one as at the moment I'm skint and can't afford a solar hot water service, (they are more than twice the price of an electric unit) even though I would prefer solar.
    So sure I would love to go ahead and 'just do it' as Tezza suggests but I can't, it's not that easy. If this global warming thing is as serious as they say it is then the Gov should get serious too. You make it sound like I am just looking for a Gov handout Tezza, well I'm not. When I finally move to my new home, rainwater tanks are first on the list, I will pay for them as I did here...but there are many who can only dream about affording such things..for some people a rain water tank would be like a luxury item, I mean why pay thousands of dollars to have rainwater when water comes out of their taps free everyday?
    If it was the law we'd all just do it, like paying taxes or registering our cars we'd just have to so we would, but there needs to be financial help for those who can't afford it, so we can all do our bit to save the planet...rich or poor.

5. CarbonAtor4NewDirection

CarbonAtor4NewDirection Junior Member

I have often thought that superannuation was for the future when workers retire. But what is that future with climate change ? So I would like to see super money by the superannuation industry being invested into green businesses and industry/technology. This also could be invested into other alternative measures training and education etc. If the Government gave tax break incentives to the superannuation industry so they prioritized a certain percentage of funds to (Climate Change friendly GREEN CARE industry) this could see a positive directional shift by the private sector. Our superannuation money is our money and we should have a say to responsibility placed on super fund managers. This we can say is - "A duty of Care" in legal speak that both the Government and Business must be accountable for.

Ultimately we the consumer should have affordable and more efficient Green friendly energy in our homes and business.