Why is Tarragon hard to grow

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by katherinejones24, Aug 22, 2013.

1. katherinejones24

katherinejones24 New Member

I bought a pot from a garden centre, repotted and it did the usual sickly slow growth with dying leaves. As it said on the label it likes poor soil I added sand to the compost and still very small new growth with lots of browning leaves. Why is it so hard to grow perennial herbs?

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Hi Katherine, It shouldn't be that hard to grow. What sort of position do you have it in? Are you saying you planted it straight into compost rather than a light potting mix?

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Mine dies right back during winter and shoots again in summer. Are you sure it isn't just responding to a change in seasons?

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Tarragon has really REALLY annoying seed to plant growing conditions & I too have grown to hate starting this plant off. I can get Lemongrass to grow easier which makes no sense what so ever to me.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Be sure that you only plant French Tarragon. It is the culinary type that has new growth that tastes buttery, and older growth that goes into kind of a licorice. It has slender, pointy leaves. The other tarragon, that is often what the seeds are, or one that doesn't have "French" in front of it, is usually a kind of Russian Tarragon that tastes like gasoline to me. I've never found seeds for French tarragon, but I haven't looked that hard. It's usually in all the nurseries.

Mine grows best in fertile soil, not heavy clay, lots of compost, regular watering. It's not a really heavy feeder, but you'll get more if you feed it at least once a month. You want new growth to always be shooting off it if you like the buttery taste.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

My one dies back and re-grows
    It is tough as old boots and one of the few survivors of the last drought.

7. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

It needs trimming after transplanting as most herbs.

8. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Tarragon does not like wet feet. Lemongrass does(at least for my observations). I've never actually grown Tarragon, for the record.

From wikipedia: