Why I make a crap permiculturist

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Grahame, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Confessions of a serial avoider...

It's days like this when I am sitting inside out of the rain nursing a head-full of hay-fever I get to thinking about why I find it so hard to get things done.

1. I am too easily distracted.
    2. I shirk the more difficult things in favour of easy fun things
    3. I just don't know enough and learning enough is complicated by 1 and 2.
    4. I am basically disorganised (as a result of 1, 2 and 3)
    5. I need more support but would never ask for it.
    6. I have no idea what I'm doing.
    7. I'm human

By themselves these things aren't particularly problematic, but when you put them all together it is very difficult to be effective. Even knowing that fixing one would help with others I am a victim of being who I am.

I'm sure there are more and that I could put this more eloquently but well, see items 1,2,3,4 and 6

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Ironically, I think most of these traits are what attract me to permaculture.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    "2. I shirk the more difficult things in favour of easy fun things"

Surely this is an asset in a permaculturist. As is #7 ;-)

4. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I was never good at maths but i reckon 1+2+3+4+5+6 = 7

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

I thought that was the permies credo? It's the way I am LOL

we are lucky or I am - I can afford to be lazy because I don't have to grow something to eat - some people have no choice

6. JoH

JoH Junior Member

Sounds familiar. I am also a sufferer of numbers one thru seven.

I have started developing a new philosophy/strategy over the last few weeks and think it will work for me. (inspired by Joel Salatins book "you can farm" which I am currently reading.)

1) Who cares what it looks like and what others think
    2) Good enough is perfect
    3) If what you're doing dosnt work, keep tweaking until it does
    4) Stuff ups can be the beginning of something brilliant!
    5) There is no such thing as: "I cant do this or that" .... It just means I have been too lazy/scared to learn
    6) Just start....even if I have no idea how "it" will turn out.

Since I have been doing this I have been so much more productive and much more creative (the chicken coop I built over the weekend is made from an old table I found in the hard rubbish! It is extrordinarly ugly but my baby chooks dont seem to care and it cost me bu**er all.)

7. permup

permup Junior Member

So Grahame,

What you're basically saying, is that you are lazy, and that by posting it in this way, you give yourself an excuse to continue in this vein? I bet this doesn't make you just crap at Permaculture. How can anyone be a victim of who they are??? You have a brain, and in that brain is the ability to decide how you behave and what you do. If you don't like these traits about yourself - change them. I would put money on the fact that you are able to.

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Seriously though Paula, Don't pull your punches luv - why don't you tell me what you really think! :D

I'm not physically lazy, I can work all day. But I have a mental laziness that is sometimes a little crippling. Could be just analysis paralysis I guess. Or lack of confidence. Could be I was just having a crap day. Could be I just expect miracles.

I agree my post was a little self indulgent (if not tongue-in-cheek) - I'll try to keep it strictly professional from now on. I guess all that personal stuff can get in the way of good permaculture [​IMG]

It's good to have a professional psychologist on-board to get me through it though ;). I agree with you - people who are having difficulties should just get over it eh.

Thanks Joh, they are really good positive points. Thank you.

And others, I see your points. Maybe all those things could just as easily be things that make me an effective permie. ;)

Lots of love
    Grahame

9. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I have felt similar to the things you talk about at many times Grahame - I tend to go with Paula though. Just do it! I refuse to be a victim and you should too. You have shown many times that you have a genuine thought process and a careing handle on life just use it and be true only to yourself and care a little less about others.

If that don't make sense then we will blame the wine.

10. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    I thought it was tongue in cheek, sorry if it was meant to be taken more seriously.

11. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

You are all right of course.

Mark, your true genius lies in putting the idea of wine in my head though 8)

12. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi Grahame,

After re-reading my hasty response I feel rather sheepish and am sorry I was so harsh. Upon reflection I think I gave you the schpeel I've wanted to give to a family member who is exceedingly lazy and a perpetual victim (vented my frustration on the wrong person). Truly, please forgive me.

13. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Paula sometimes people are lazy for a reason. When i am not able to work on the things i like working on, I am lazy. Also depression makes me "lazy". Sometimes, often actually, depression has made me unable to work on things I would like to work on even. As a lazy person, i no longer care too much about what other people think of my laziness. But i was never a victim. I am fairly intolerant of victimhood. As a result of all this personal insight, i no longer care about the laziness of others either. If i do care and think i've a right to, then i asked them to give me a hand. Its a great strain reducer not to care about what other people are doing or not doing.

I was just thinking today that the harder i work in my garden, the messier it is becoming. I actually don't want a messy garden - with pots and piles and things lying all over the place. Before i started there was a fair bit of junk lying around and i have got rid of that now I seem to have replaced it with useful stuff lying about. There was also a lot of very wild greenery. So much so that friends of father called this place the Wilderness. But there was nothing to eat here so it could hardly be called paradise. I think the reason it is like this is because i am not the sort of person who starts one job and doesn't start another until its finished. I like working on several things at once and moving between them all through the day. It may not be very efficient or tidy but I enjoy this way of working more. But I am aiming towards creating a paradise - visual as well as gastronomic so i think the only way to fix this is work on not making such a lot of mess as I go. Mind you the wet season and a dodgy mower does not help. Everything grows so damn fast and especially the grass and weeds.

A year or so ago i ready a funny little book called 701 habits of highly ineffective people by an aussie actor. Obviously a spinoff from the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey. I thought myself a particularly ineffective person at the time having come through a costly period of depression. Anyway it was a nice book and if you ever come by it, read it. It was a relief to notice that i had only a relatively small percentage of ineffective habits listed and I enjoyed reading of those habits i didn't have and about some famous ineffective people.

14. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Thanks Paula I understand and no problems here. I didn't mean it to sound so victimish but I'm glad it has generated some discussion about the way permies feel at times.

And thank you for your post Sunburn, I think depression of varying degrees is what drives some people to Permaculture. There are a lot of things about modern society that don't exactly lift us up. But Permaculture, its people and it's principles can be very uplifting and inspiring.

I feel renewed and energised again today :)

15. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Was it the wine my friend?