Why I hate cities.

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Nickolas, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Nickolas

Nickolas Junior Member

Hey everyone, i had to go to Melbourne not long ago and to be honest I couldn’t stand it. So I narrowed it down and thought I would share.

Why I hate cities:

People ignore you even if you’re in trouble.

The fumes.

It’s expensive.

The noise.

The stressful environment.

Too many people

Everything you don’t want is within 5 minuets.

Everything is too fast.

It gives me headaches.

There is no one that I know, I’m used to going into my rural town and I know almost everyone.

Inhabitants of the same street do not know one another

If you ask someone in the city for directions, he will say, 'I'm sorry, I don't have any time… Sorry I'm in a hurry… Excuse me, I'll miss the train… the bus… the car…' He may add: 'The wall, have a look at the wall.'

People are no longer referred to by their name or the tribe to which they belong, but by a number. City people do not address one another as fellow social beings or even human entities, but as 'You, who live in apartment number x on floor number x… telephone number x, license plate number on car is x' and so on.

Does anyone else feel this way?

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

I was in Adelaide for a couple of days last week. Completely feel the same way for the same reasons. However, I did have to ask someone for directions whilst walking to the central bus station and the person I approached was very helpful and polite. The city scares me somehow. It is so raucous, it is like an assault not on my senses but on my sensibilities. There are too many ugly bits, too much concrete, too much inanity and wastefulness everywhere. I also get a headache just being there. If one is born in the country and lived there for a lifetime (me) and prefers quiet and solitude and peace then the city is anathema. I avoid going there as much as possible. :/

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hehe ... I can't even deal with Coffs Harbour these days. Can't deal with fumes or smoke or fluorescent lights or air-conditioning or being in large buildings or traffic ... I just like dirt roads & open spaces & fresh air & water out of the creek. Have you tried to drink town water lately??? I can't even shower in it, let alone drink it!
    And silence. Silence is really nice :)

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I was in Melbourne for a few weeks over Xmas and quite liked the chaos and diversity.
    Im a city boy originally,love being in the middle of nowhere mainly being a hermit,but t loved the contrast.
    I will never go back to live though.

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

My daughter loves living in Petersham, Sydney for the same reason.
    I like it too - but for about an hour, then I'm done :)
    And so long as no-one smokes on me during that hour :)

6. Terra

Terra Moderator

NO one in the city would have seen the crystal clear moon that I did tonight . No bars on my windows , doors all open to cool the house overnight no thieves to worry about . What don't I like about cities , pretty well everything .

7. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    This.

The assault of the collective cacophony in populated areas is too much for me to bear.

8. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I have to balance hate. It's my way.

Why I miss NYC, the only metropolis I know of in the USA.

Museums, the learning is amazing

Lincoln Center, Vicktor Borge anyone?

Restaurants, It food from anywhere, and some places you never heard of

Theaters, Les Mis, Cats, Miss Saigon, Evita, etc.

Access - I can find anything I want in NYC within blocks of where ever I am.

24/7 - It really was the city that never slept.

People - Friends from NYC are strange, weird, and awesome, like most people in this forum.

Art galleries - From Bombs rocked by Banksey, to cutting school to see Dali.

There is both yin & yang in everything, finding balance in a city... ..that's the trick.

Everyone always puts down cities, but if you are not from there, you usually don't see the inherit beauty in such a place, because it is overwhelming.

9. Terra

Terra Moderator

That's very nice Pak , there are no weeds , there is no spoon, ( love that movie) , but don't trust anyone when your crossing the road , they are in a tearing hurry to get somewhere , where ever that is . We only have a large regional town and it only takes 5 min to ride across it on a push bike but you would think the end of the world is near by the way people behave .

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Oh OK :)
    I'll be in it too :)

Cities ... I hate the fumes & the noise & the scary traffic & all that ...
    but

I love:

All the freaky people & all the kooky houses & backyards & lane ways & shops in the old areas ... I love to check them all out.
    Cemeteries ... big old overgrown ones with stunningly beautiful, amazing & awesome monuments, & heart wrenchingly sad stories, & old trees with possums living in them :)
    Book shops.
    Antique & vintage shops.
    Charity/thrift/op shops.
    Architecture - the whole array from the tiniest settlers cottages to the grand, majestic old buildings, to bridges & fences & ... everything.
    Food. Yep. All of it :)
    The lights ... especially on rainy nights when you're up high enough to be able to see main roads from a vantage point & you can see the miles of street lighting & the car lights & all of it is reflected back from the wet bitumen.
    Light shops ... I adore to go at night when they're closed & stand with my nose pressed against the glass & my mouth open, staring at the chandeliers & art nouveau & art deco & art everything else lights glistening like Aladdin's cave :)
    The atmosphere - in the old suburbs & the poor suburbs & the working class suburbs & the old but newly fashionable suburbs where students & artists are reclaiming & reforming the culture & the aesthetics for themsleves.
    The graffiti.
    And absolutely best of all I love dumpster diving! That is one thing I dearly miss. I adore it & have found the most awesome things in dumpsters! One place I went to in Canberra - where they have a lot of diplomats with families about to get on a plane to go home - it was like going shopping! There was stuff still in the boxes that hadn't even been opened! There were brand new, expensive art supplies, barely touched! It was amazing - & sad & sobering at the same time.

You're right Pak. There's a lot to love about cities. It's mostly the way the noise & chemicals & fumes affect me that freak me out.

11. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Attached Files:

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Attached Files:

13. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Is the bee beard shot comming up next ?

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

No. Certainly not! :)
    But if I'd known then that bees are most docile when swarming they would have been in a box & in my car boot in a heartbeat :)