why going to seed?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by knighter, Aug 10, 2011.

1. knighter

knighter Junior Member

can anyone help me, i live north nsw sub tropics i've planted cos lettuce boc choi leafy greens, chilli, snow pea.
    useing good mushroom compost and organic soil and 6hrs morning sun, why has my leafy greens gone to seed and some lettuce not grown as good as others?
    Any help would be great
    knighter

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I'm tempted to say "climate change" but the situation is too serious. It is a tough one to answer from so far away but we have experienced it a bit here at Purple Pear with bok choi and tatsoi and I have put it down to fluctuating temperatures. Lovely warm weather has suddenly given way to cold and windy days and some chilly nights so the plants get a little confused and worried about their future and set seed "just in case" Six hours of Sun seems a little shaded for a vegie garden to me too. Different lettuces grow better in the winter - you could try Corn Salad as a winter green. I am warm temperate here so it may be that you have different climate up in Potsville.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Is the soil too dry?

I've grown lettuces in the shade. Not in the winter though.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Inconsistent water can do it, i.e. dry out, get wet, dry out.

Also if they are planted out as seedlings, they may be a bit 'old' or too long in the punnet. The chinese cabbages (bok choi, etc) seem to be particularly susceptible to it.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Try some varieties that are slow to bolt, that's usually the phrase in their description. A particularly cooperative bok choi is joi choi, I can do it on a cool coast in the summer! And I am guilty of not getting transplants in quickly enough. They may look just fine, but the whole process seems to set them off unless they are plunked in rather early.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Don't forget that it's OK to leave some of the ones that have started to flower to attract pollinators to your garden. They are a useful part of integrated pest management too. Use them as a "sacrificial" crop for pests.

7. mike

mike Junior Member

I reckon its moisture,not consistently moist and maybe too much warmth.Crazy as it sounds in winter you might grow them under a light shade cloth.