Who's been following this?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ~Tullymoor~, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

2. Sly712

Sly712 Junior Member

Yep, I been reading about it in ABC Organic. Notice the property was due to go to auction on the 10th of Sept wonder how it went....

3. ~Tullymoor~

Nope, didn't sell at auction...it's on the market.

Pretty clever idea I reckon. She writes and sells a book and makes her property famous....not to mention the challenges/experiences of actually having done it.
    Good on them!!

4. Jet

Jet Junior Member

Yeah I've been following it from the start, I'd love to try something like it but I live 35ks from town and 8ks from the school ( no bus) so I can't not have my car. Mind you I only go into town about once a month. I looked at getting a Toyota Prius but I don't think the roads around here would be very kind, that and I'd be to scared to take a car with an 900 volt battery through a cause-way!

5. ~Tullymoor~

Hi Jet,

I used to live up your way on a sheep property near Bendemeer....way back when I was 16. I got $60 a week plus board and keep. :D

I was employed as a governess, but worked harder on my 2 days off than my 5 days on out with the men and the sheep and the horses riding through that awesome country. I'll never forget it.

Tell us about your place?

6. Jet

Jet Junior Member

Hi Tullymoor,
    It is great country a little dry but slowly getting better. We have only been here five months. We're on 100 acres. Our main focus for moving is to live a more self sufficient/sustainable lifestyle. We came off one acre so for us 100 is huge.
    I'm passionate about growing our own organic food. When I was a kid I used to run wild through my pop's garden picking strawberries and apples and as dim as those memories are I think that is where my love of living a self sufficient life was born. I want my kids to be true children for as long as they can, I want them to eat the food I ate as a kid, when an apple tasted like an apple, an to have respect for the land and what it can provide us with. So here we are on our little piece of land half way beetween Tamworth and Gunnedah. We have a house cow, a pig (not for long) chickens which I would never be without and four beef breeders so I can supply my family with meat that is not pumped full of chemicals and antibiotics. We are also about to go on a planting rampage and put back some of the native trees that have been cleared for cropping.
    Our vegie patch is up and running and we are just starting to have full meals from it, can't tell you how good that feels after five months of store bought food. Anyway thats a little about me and our plot I guess you could say we are those horrible "lifestylers" you keep hearing about.
    What about you? Sorry I've kidnapped the post.

7. ~Tullymoor~

Sounds great Jet, good luck with it all :D Your kids are lucky.

I haven't a map to see where you are and my memory is a bit unreliable....anywhere near Manilla?? That was our nearest town, Bendemeer was just our nearest pub :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

When in doubt give Earth Google a call :)

9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I have been following it through organic gardener mag, but have only now looked at their site. Am amazed at hown much stuff they are growing on half an acre. Must be pretty chockers. I found it a little ironic, given the organic nature of the whole experience, that the house is made of treated hardwood. I wonder how much has leached into the surrounding soil.

10. Jet

Jet Junior Member

Tullymoor- We are at Somerton, bustling town of around 100. We have a roadhouse/fuel and a pub, huge!
    Veggie boy- I'm not sure when they bought the property they were into it as much as they are now. Permaculture is something ( i think) that grows on/with you. We started out with a tiny patch and a few tomatoes and seems to me the more you learn the more you want to know. It's a bit of an addiction. My house is a long way from perfect in a perm/organic sense but I think you work with what you have. Maybe thats why they are selling. I think on their site it say's they are looking into building a straw house. I'd love to start from scratch one day.

11. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

My place is also far from perfect from a permi point of view - prabably couldn't be worse. Lowset brick and tile. Above ground pool - $55,000 litre water waster - with a treated pine sleeper deck (about 180 sleepers in total). I dread to think how much poison has leached from the deck into my soil, been meaning to get a couple of tests done, but got quoted over $70 for each sample and over $50 for water sample test.

12. Jet

Jet Junior Member

Veggie boy,
    Sometimes I think it's best not to know! Ignorance is bliss. If you paid for the test and found out what was lurking in you soil and water you'd end up living in a bubble. Do what I do make the best out of what you have and take comfort in knowing your not adding to that toxic mix!
    Jane