which uncommon vegetables do you grow?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hedwig, Dec 1, 2006.

1. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I think there are plenty of gardeners who are frustated trying to grow european vegetables in the heat. While Okra and Eggplants are relatively easy to grow. Well, both of them are not uncommon, buit wich uncommon herbs and vegetables do you grow and were do the specimen come from??
    (and were do youi buy the seeds)

2. Anastasia

Anastasia Junior Member

Warrigal greens (NZ spinach - but its a native)... heat tolerant green. I will also be growing ceylon spinach when I can get around to germinating them (tropical green). Seeds from Green Harvest.

Also will be growing watercress and kangkong (edible water plants). Seeds again from Green Harvest.

ETA: I'm also attempting to grow yacon (edible tubers) but it either hates the heat/humidity or being in a pot. Not doing so well :(.

3. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

both malabar spinach an NZ spinach was no problem to germinate.
    But some of the NZ spinach nearly died in the draught (in bad soil)
    I've planted new guinea bean for the first time, still small plants.

4. Mrs Parker-Bowles

Mrs Parker-Bowles Junior Member

I rather like to grow lambs letuce or corn salad. I had to look high and low for seeds. No-one ever knew what I was talking about or where I could find some. I eventually found some in the eden seeds catalogue thank goodness. I love it!!!
    It makes a really nice salad with some finely chopped onion, tomatoes, walnuts and walnut oil.

5. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

6. Anastasia

Anastasia Junior Member

Ah looks nice! Mine seems to be shedding leaves :shock: . So it has about 4 leaves on it, but they are constantly growing new ones and shedding the oldest ones. I probably don't water them enough.

7. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

well...ummmm....errrrr....yes! lol mine haven't shedded any leaves so that might be your problem! :)

And mulch really well.

8. Anastasia

Anastasia Junior Member

REALLY well mulched. REALLY REALLY lol. I add to it the higher it grows!
    Okay more water it is.

9. han_ysic

han_ysic Junior Member

Jerusalem Artichokes

I am growing jerusalem artichokes this year, they are part of the sunflower family, with beautiful flowers, and produce an edible tuber that is great in soups, steamed or baked, tastes a little like water chestnut. I received a few tubers from a friend who planted two or three she got from another friend a few years ago. Now she is getting kilos of them and giving them away.
    I also grow warrigal greens, and we are trying yakon as well. It's in a pot, but does like the water. Do you have a saucer underneath it to hold some water in reserve for it, I find that really makes a difference for plants in pots.
    One of my all time favourites is cape gooseberry, the kind that is a bush and the fruit is inside a paper casing. My grandma grew these when I was very young and I had vague memories of eating them, and the sweet tart tast of the berries, I was describing them to my friend last year (oops, the year before) and she said she thought her grandma had them growing. She did nad now I do too. It's easy to grow, just get a few ripe fruit and plant them without the paper casing (so there is more chance of germination.

Hannah

10. bamboogirl

bamboogirl New Member

Cassava - a starchy tuber used liked potato. Can also make into flour. Tapioca is actually derived from cassava. Can also be fermented - i had some fermented cassava cake for morning tea today - delicious. This is an easy to grow staple food -- only needs water at beginning when propogating. Leaves can be used as chook fodder if dried out for a couple of days.

Chineses Artichoke - these grow like weeds. The artichoke is the root that grows underground -- it looks like a spiral sea shell.. it can be eaten raw, is crunchy but quite bland - great for using with dips. I grow them in large pots otherwise they would take over my garden.

Gourds - just harvested my first bottleneck gourd. Also ready to plant out my first flour gourds!! These are weird as they actually have a white substance that coats the skin ( hence the name) and apparently are great keepers.

Chilacoyote or perennial squash - my first vines are growing.

Also have licorice root, taro, coco yam and my favourite -- old fashioned choko!! I have green ones rampant, but have just acquired 3 white ones i am shooting and getting ready to plant.. These can be used in sweet dishes when you are short of fruit.

11. strud

strud Junior Member

I have all the the typical stuff (tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, silverbeet, winter spinach, turnips, swedes, cabbage etc) but have just got some more seeds (from edenseeds), some of which are a little out of the ordinary.

- White beetroot (hoping to try brew some beetroot beer/wine!)
    - Yellow eckendorf (yellow beetroot) - maybe animal feed or for soups
    - Chickpeas - will grow it all the way to peas I think
    - Icicle radish
    - Leek (autmun giant)

CS

12. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Chinese Spinach....green leaf with a red centre and Perilla....purple leaf were my unusuals this year. Have some extrra seed to share.
    Cathy

PS Yacon failed as I could not keep the dog from digging them out of the pond and eating them

13. pauloz

pauloz Junior Member

unusual veg

Speaking of yacons does anyone in Western Australia grow them or know where to get them from over here

14. han_ysic

han_ysic Junior Member

I just got an ice cream bean tree, just a small seedling, very excited about. Also got some thai tamarind seeds and want to try to germinate those. It's alright, I didn't smuggle them back through customs, although I really was tempted, a friend told me you can buy the dried fruit here, and I finally found, and it has seeds inside. Here's hoping they sprout.