Which Permaculture course is for me?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by scottgraham, Sep 20, 2006.

1. scottgraham

scottgraham Guest

I'm ooking for some advice on which course to take.

Tossing up between the one starting on the 8th Jan in Melbourne and the 22nd in Tassie. I have very limited experience in Permaculture to date so am keen to learn the principles and concepts. But at the same time i would like to gets some hands-on experience too!

Anyone got advice on which would be better?

ta,
    Scott.

2. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Hi,

You'll find lots of info on PDCs on this site from previous and recent threads. If you do a search you'll find them.

Cheers,

Sonya

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Scott,

What exactly is it that you wish to gain from undertaking a PDC? Do you wish to apply the learning outcomes to your own site or situation? If so, are you likely to remain living in the Brisbane area? If so, you may find that Victorian and Tasmanian-based PDC's do not deliver outcomes that are easily adaptable to your own site due to climatic differences, etc.

Maybe you are just interested in the general principles of permaculture, and as such undertaking a PDC based on this premise rather than regional factors could mean that both the Victorian and Tasmanian PDC's will fit your bill.

You suggest that you want to get some "hands-on experience". Many PDC's can lean towards the theoretical rather than the practical, so this may factor into your decision making process. As Sonya has so rightly suggested, PDC's are a big topic of conversation on here from time-to-time and it may pay you to do a search and have a look at what many have previously had to say on the subject.

Finally, for the ultimate in "hands-on experience", and if you have the time and inclination, get yourself a WWOOF book and check out any of the 1500-plus host properties that are listed here in Australia. Many practice the principles of permaculture and you are sure to come away from this experience inspired and full of ideas for how you can apply the principles and ethics in your own life.

Finally, check out your local permaculture scene. There are many, many places and people practicing permaculture in your part of the world, and i'm sure they would only be too happy to point you in the right direction.

Below are some links that you may find of interest:

https://www.wwoof.com.au/

https://www.northeystreetcityfarm.org.au/

https://www.crystalwaterscollege.org.au/

Cheerio, Mark.

4. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Also try the Brisbane Organic Growers Inc (BOGI) - they have their annual fair on Oct 1 - google their name and you'll find their website. There is the Beelarong Community Gardens at Morningside too.

I'm doing a PDC at Eumundi next month.

Cheers,
    Sonya