which perennials worth in subtropics?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hedwig, Jun 13, 2007.

1. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I think about growing some perennials in spring.
    Which are worth growing?
    Especially the relation of space they need compared to annual vegetables.
    I thought of Taro Waterchestnut and???
    Our land is flat. How do you grow Taro? You lay down some plastic sheet or dig out?
    I've got a Arrowroot yet, but I didn't dig untilnow (don't know when) it grows beautifully and is very ornamental.

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hedwig,

Asparagus, asparagus and more asparagus and then just for variety... a choko vine... :D :D Eggplants can be grown as a perennial.

floot

3. dunmovin

dunmovin New Member

Asparagus, globe artichoke, sweet potato (dig only as needed), Jerusalem artichoke, taro, cassava, I've had a capsicum fruiting for several years and some of the climbing beans.

4. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

really globe artichoke? I've got two but not really thriving!
    and jerusalem artichoke as well? thought it is more temperate- but if you tink tha's subtropical I'll go to the grocer..
    anyone grew taro? What to do to hold the water (bathtube or only hilling the earth around?

How about yields in comparison to annuals?

5. greeny

greeny Junior Member

I am just a bit south of Brissy and Jerusalem Artichokes are easy to grow. But they do take quite a bit of space. The flowers are fabulous. But they are as perennial as potatoes. Globes didn't work for me. Madagascar bean is an extremely hardy climber ( I grow it up pawpaws. ) it produces small crops many times each year. The Yam is climbing all over the avocado and water tank. Capsicums are a few years old and chillies and some basil if chopped down in winter. Buk Choi self seeds easily as does coriander. and other greens like parsley. I have no luck with eggplant here. Turmeric and Galangal and Ginger also are doing well. I want to grow some taro. i was shown an extremely hardy type in Nimbin and given a few tubers. They didn't take. The most common way to grow is to place a branch cutting in a bucket of water and planting it when vigorous roots have developed. It would be an amazingly useful survival food.

6. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

7. greeny

greeny Junior Member

Hi Hedwig yes yes , the Jeruselum artichokes die back after flowering and If the animals dont dig them up they will regrow so I dont consider them perrenial. Do you?
    I am on the foothills of the border ranges and surrounded by forest. The soil is shallow and clayey. I have lots of shade and so many things dont do well including tomatoes. sob. The eggplants got gobbled up by little black beetles .
    The madagascar bean is a mottled red and white lima type bean. You can plant it and forget it. The sort of plant I need where I am . As I am in constant fight with native animals for digging up or eating my plants.
    Oh I think its a giant yam. I have to put rocks around the roots to prevent the bandicoots from digging it up. I hope to learn of more annuals and perrenials for my area too.