Which greywater system do you use/plan to use?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Cly, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Cly

Cly Junior Member

Systems I see on many sites/see around here and there use electricity, I'm guessing this is to ensure the pump goes off every 24 hours per health guidelines if the water is not used. Now I could be wrong but my home will be up on stumps...will silly council regs allow me to use a gravity greywater system w/grease trap or will I need a pump to keep the money grubbers pacified? I read and read and read and can't find definate answers. Now it's getting closer to the time where I'll be purchasing my block, the little things are coming to mind. If you built your own without electricity, did you run into any council mess? Did you use purchased plans or did you design your own?

I've made up a simple plan for my own (tank with removable top for intermittent interior cleaning, diverter, small tank stand, grease trap for kitchen sink pipe and misc pipes), prior to this I had planned on purchasing this one: https://www.enviro-friendly.com/eco-care ... ater.shtml

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day cly,

the council up here accepted a grease trap and a tank to hold the water as it drained out to a fruit tree orchid. all that does in reality is the grease trap smellies up the water as it sits in there and the same goes for the holding tank as all the water never drains away. silly realy good grey water should have just gone to the holding tank no grease trap and it would be good. they jsut have to have their say. and they wouldn't accept a smaller grease trap just for the kitchen water they wanted the larger much more expensive unit as per regulated grease trap.

len

3. Fee

Fee Junior Member

Rosemary Morrow has a model of biological cleansing in her book Earth User's Guide to Permaculture, p44.

Prince Charles built a system of reed beds and gravel and I think he also had a flow form to cleanse grey water and black water too from memory.

Bill Mollison's book Permaculture a designers manual describes the treatment of black water pp177-179.

Hope this helps.....

4. Cly

Cly Junior Member

I never considered reed systems because of my budget. It's either a solar system or a reed system, solar is more important me thinks.

Thanks for the info on the council :)

5. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

It doesn't take me long to lose patience with government.

Do many people built the system as your council insists, then run a bypass when they're gone?

Sue

6. Cly

Cly Junior Member

I believe so heh, my Grandfather certainly knew how to get around the crap.

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

My brother said it's all in the designing. You plan it out for both ways, set up the "legal" way, then change it after they leave. If you have to sell, just change it back.

Funny thing about greywater recycling here in the U.S. There is virtually no town or state where it's legal, but they will tell you how to do it!

COMPOST IDIOTS! (Start with government employees)

Sue

8. Cly

Cly Junior Member

Yeah from the running around I've done over here I've learned the same thing about greywater systems in the USA, which is a darn shame but any thing alternative - especially if it cuts in on the regular building industry in any way is always going to come up against the 'suits'. Councils are such a pain in the butt, my uncle is part of the Brisbane City Council and man he can tell you some stories.

9. darrenhatina

darrenhatina Junior Member

Renew Magazine has been doing a trial of a number of greywater systems(see latest issue) and the basic conclusion is simple is better, although councils might not agree. What they don't know may not hurt them though as long as you're mindful of your neighbors and do some due dilligence on reducing risks such as; waterlogging, overflow, flushing household nasties, odour, and human contact.

The simplest system I've seen remains the old three way diverter to some ag pipe covered in deep mulch. If you want to experiment that might be a good start.

I've often wondered if systems really could get clogged with hair and grease anyway since I put all that stuff into my compost bin and it magically disappears. I'd have to say that compost has got to be the best deodourizer in existence. Maybe the odd scoopful down the kitchen sink now and again would keep the pipework "regular".

In general...
    start small and simple
    observe
    redesign
    implement
    grow
    repeat
    once it works... reproduce

Darren Hatina

10. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

This isn't really on-topic, but a guy I knew who was a plumber for 40 years said if every household ran a large potful of boiling water down their sinks once a month, they would put a bunch of plumbers out of work.

Cheap. Simple. Easy. I've been doing it for 25 yrs now, and haven't had a hint of trouble. And yes, it does fine on plastic pipe, too.

Sue

11. Cly

Cly Junior Member

Hehe, doesn't surprise me at all about the hot water down the sink comment. That' still very much on topic don't worry and it's a great tip to keep for future use, thank you. :)

As for being mindful of the neighbours, the 1.5 acres we've had reserved is on an ecovillage, so the council will be very aware of all our buildings going up, especially considering the main village hub is all Cob structures - what a bullseye. Can't get away from it I'm afraid but we're looking at ways to work around council nonsense with the greywater systems as we really don't want to have to put in all the extra bullcrap just to make them happy. It's a waste of resources and money which could be better spent on the solar power system. If we manage to get around this crap, I'll be more than happy to post how it was done.