Where to get rockdust?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Cosmic, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I have been reading about rockdust and would like to get some. I thought it would be simple to get but I can't find it. Where could I get it in Brisbane?

2. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Re: Where to get rockdust?

crusher dust is a vailable from most landscaping places (eg the gap etc) for ~$52 for 1/2 cubic meter (this is ALOT). In addition to "dust" size particles, there are normally particles up to a few millimeters in size. - Crusher dust is more commonly used for Tank bases etc.

I do know that The Gap Landcaping place gets theirs from the Keperra quarry which is a basalt quarry (supposed to be good as a rock dust).. purists may say that crusher dust is too coarse, but I'm SURE it has at least some fine particles and is made of the right stuff (rock)

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

Crusher dust is ground concrete I have been lead to believe. I am after dust made from actual rock. I have bought crusher dust for under our water tank. It's a different medium?

4. Paul Cereghino

Paul Cereghino Junior Member

I have been unsuccessfully following up on local leads cold-calling quarries that produce and wash crushed rock (with fines settling in settling ponds). So far I'm getting lots of confused admin assistants. Maybe you'll get better luck. I distinguish rock dust as a general nice thing from actual bona fide nutrient amendments like granite dust from plagioclase feldspars (high in potassium), rock phosphate (limited global distribution high in Phosphorus) or greensand (marine sedientary deposit high in potassium and micronutrients), and all the Calsium/Magnesium sources (Limestone, Dolomitic Limestone). From my perspective, composition, and therefor value comes from mineral content... but I've heard your ancient soils down under come with a range of micro-nutrient deficiencies due to eons of leaching. I wonder about oceanic nutrients for y'all (kelp, ground shell) as another source serving the same function.

5. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Try asking for "cracker dust" We have a hard rock quarry close by who I was getting it from, well I was getting it from next door as he used to drive for them but he has since left.

Ask them what is the finest particle rock or dust you produce, my dust is 1-2mm or smaller with lot's of powder.

If I get a truck load in the close future I'll PM you.

Are you on a farm of urban area?

Paul try and talk to one of the truck drivers, they might offer more helpful in sight.

Baz

6. ppp

ppp Junior Member

the crusher dust I have bought is definitely made from crushed dolerite. I enquired at the quarry, where I could perchase their chrusher dust (produced in the gravel crushing process) and they put me onto the landscape yard at the gap. I also work with geological materials for a living and the stuff is definitely made from rock.

I have never seen crusher dust made from concrete.

7. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

I just bought some from Remin:

https://www.remin.com.au/index.htm

They're local to me (Jamberoo, south of Wollongong). It's great stuff, ground fine like talcum powder. They recommend about a cup per square metre.

It's $15.40 per 20kg bag, but you'd have to be willing to pay a fair bit for shipping to Brisbane, I'm afraid. That said, they are happy to ship if you want that.

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I think blue metal (fines) and scorea (volcanic marbles
    may fit the bill but I am not positive.

9. Gardening guru

Gardening guru New Member

Hi,

I recently brought some rockdust from my local nursery, they stocked munash rockdust. They have a great small 2kg bag and a 10kg for larger area's. Check out their website www.rockdust.com.au. They are stocked by lots of nurseries, hopefully near you.

Happy gardening

10. adiantum

adiantum Junior Member

If you or anyone you know has a well drilled into bedrock, the well rig will spew a bunch of rock dust off to the side...free for the taking! Of course what kind of rock depends. When it happened to us in Georgia (USA) the rock was basalt and granite...two of the best types....

11. philthomas

philthomas Junior Member