where to get a lot of mushroom compost?

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Cassie, May 20, 2009.

1. Cassie

Cassie New Member

Hi All,
    I'm looking for compost and mushroom compost and anything else that will make my garden grow. unfortunetly i have put the vegie garden on a whole lot of sand left by the last owners. they used it to fill in the whole left when they took out the pool. as you can tell this is not great for the vegies.
    does anyone know a mushroom farm close to brisbane or logan?
    does anyone in the brisbane area have a lot of clay soil they want to swap for some sand?
    i have seeds cuttings and a few odd plants that you might like to swap for some compost too.
    thanks
    Cass

2. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Re: where to get a lot of mushroom compost?

The ones I know are at Woodford northwest of Caboolture and at Withcott near Toowoomba. Withcott puts theirs out on Friday/Saturday I think and is based on an honour system for $1.00 per bag. I don't know what Woodford do.

3. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

mulch will do and will be a lot cheaper than mushroom compost

I use sugar cane mulch -

when we started we had clay on top of sand on top of clay on top of an old sand dune - we laid mulch about knee deep - seriously - and let nature take its course - - during that first year we planted everything like the back yard was a no dig garden - simply parted the mulch and put the seedlings - maybe with a handful of potting mix (no compost at that time) and watched them grow.

when the mulch went wwe apllied more and then got chooks - and let them free range until I got sick of losing every seedling I put in - - we can now dig just about anywhere in the garden with our hands.

the chook poo is still spread regularly - the plants get a regular dose each in turn

4. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Hi Cassie,
    I would definitely reccomend trying to get hold of some mushroom compost if you can, it is definitely worth the effort. I travel 1 hour to get mine (unfortunitely it is not handy to you....up near Townsville). I have noticed a dramatic improvement in my garden. I then cover the compost with sugar cane mulch to prevent it from drying out. You not only get great vegies, but you will get plenty of mushrooms too. I have been eating mushrooms for the last two weeks off a load I got a month ago!!! If the garden has shade you will get plenty, just keep it slightly moist.
    Happy gardeining
    Lovingmygarden

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Didillibah (near Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast) $6 for 8 bags. They are about 5kg each. I got 16 bags recently -some to go in the compost bin, some for the chooks and one to go under the back deck that is producing a harvest now.

6. spiraleddie

spiraleddie Junior Member

Pine Rivers markets every Saturday has a mushroom seller that always has a trailer load of mushroom compost as well, he sells them for about $5/bale depending on quantity. he comes (obviously) from a mushroom farm and you can go threre to buy more, you need to ask him for address, sorry.
    Pine River Markets, Old Gympie rd lawnton.

7. gardeningyogi

gardeningyogi New Member

There is an ex-mushroom farmer at Rothwell (Redcliffe area) who sells bags of compost for $4 or a trailer load for $20 (I think). He does it all organically and uses cow, horse, chicken manure and hay. It's the best stuff and makes a huge impact on growing veges! His place is located: Off Anzac Ave on Bremner Rd. Turn at Bunnings and go through the round-a-bout and around the curve in the road and his place is just around the corner. There's a sign on his front gate.Good luck!

8. alfamick

alfamick Junior Member

Hi,

There's a mushroom farm at Rochedale - it's on Miles Platting Road. They have the big flat bags of mushroom compost for $2 a bag, and they say they do bulk lots by appointment. Definitely worthwhile if you're on the south side.

9. ibrunner

ibrunner New Member

Hi there - I have just joined. I live near Maroochydore and would be grateful for the address in Didillibah for mushy compost. Many thanks.

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It's on Didillibah Road. If you start at the Nambour Connector Road end in Woombye, it is about 2 k along the road on the right side. I was there 2 weekends ago and it is still $6 for 8 bags.

PS Welcome to another Coastie!

11. Comeilotei

Comeilotei New Member

Sorry to sneak into your thread Cassie....I was about to ask this same question and noticed yours. Like you I'm interested in sourcing mushroom compost by the trailer load.

Anyone know where I can source mushroom compost in NSW Southern Highlands and/or South Coast area? Thank you.

Comeilotei

12. ibrunner

ibrunner New Member

Great, thanks so very much for directions - this site is proving a godsend - have learnt lots already.
    All the best and happy gardening!

13. viviennef

viviennef New Member

Hi
    I went up today to get some from diddlebar. It was very funny - I am a bunnings kind of gardener so was shocked to have to stand in puddles of water/compost and load bags (read open/flat bits of plastic full of poo) into the back of our brand new hilux. Very funny.

thanks for the info though - so what do you do with the compost in terms of your worms and chooks? I have both but not sure why I would use it there. I am going to get a couple of trailer fulls delivered for the garden as what I got didnt go anywhere and woudl be interested to know

thanks!
    V

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hi Viv

I toss a few bags in with the chooks to scratch into the ground - I use a chicken tractor so I'm planting when the chooks move. I don't give it to the worms as it doesn't need processing. I also put it in the compost as I have lots of dry stuff and it helps to retain the moisture. And stick a bag under the back deck to get a few mushys for dinner....

You can use it straight on your garden. Particularly useful in a no dig - sandwich style bed.

If you are lucky you'll catch me there on sunset sometime in my good clothes getting it all over the back of my car too!

15. alfamick

alfamick Junior Member

I found one of those $1.50 plastic drop-sheets from Bunnings protected the back of the car pretty well from it. Definitely worth the $1.50!

16. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

Since this thread has been resurrected - does anyone know of a good place for mushroom compost in the Gold Coast area? As far as I can tell, the closest place mentioned in the thread above is Rochedale, but that's already an hour's drive.

Thanks!
    Ståle

17. wezzy

wezzy Junior Member

I live in Logan City at Waterford West and get my mushroom compost from the mushroom farm at North Maclean. I think it is every Sat morning and it is about $40 for a big trailer load.

https://www.aussieweb.com.au/details.aspx?id=1822770

18. wezzy

wezzy Junior Member

Just a follow up on my last post. The mushroom compost is available on the 1st Sat of each month - the next one being 5th December from 7am to 11am. The cost is $30 for a trailer load which is about 1 cubic meter. The address is 4700 Mt. Lindesay Highway, North Maclean.

19. Hinterland landscape

Hinterland landscape New Member

We have Mushroom Compost for sale by trailer, bag or trucks loads at our Landscape yard at Pomona on the Sunshine Coast
    Please email or ph 54854321 for prices

20. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

make your own , !