Where to buy chickens in victoria

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by shae, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Tezza has just informed me that his above post was meant to be in PM and that he is sorry it was in the forum. I would like to say I want no more PMs from you Tezza but would appreciate you explaining here, in the forum, just how it is that you think it's OK to PM me that message but NOT put it in the forum????

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

In my post I mentioned a lot you only answered 1 question..I did sugest you read it a "couple of Times"...remember shell grit egg numbers the list did go on..

The reason why it was inadvertantly posted in wrong post i Clicked on wrong
    button,.. The reason for Pm ..was because of your sensitivities to your previous attack on my good nature...It was merely an attempt to query something,re yourstance of the poor illconceived ISA brown chook..

I agree my typing isnt the best,but single digits never were anygood anyways
    i type single finger not as fluent as some of the others here.i know but im trying,

For many in our state chooks are inexpensive, but not many dealers as o/e.a huge proportion are or were sold as ex batteries.No one says there Show stock.....There sold as Chooks who must lay lots or theyd not be used by proffesionals chook. (stand to reason)..

Ok you may get the odd bad one or those with toes missing,feathers missing,beacks even missing.Is that the chooks fault?.Im sure most people who purchase ex batts do for a reason.mainly egg production.

The concept of chooks being worked to any eartly grave by making them lay eggs. :?: Isnt having an ex batt in a yard saving their lives,Do you know where or what an ex batt does after its been yanked out of a tiny cage.......They need the rescuing,Actually the farms should be dismantled
    etc etc etc.

Also...Ive never had any problems with isa laying,after removal from cages,the shock of temp changes,light hours,and FREEDOM cause them to
    shut down mode.ieNo Eggs.They go through a full molt and are fully feathered in allmost exactually 6 weeks.
    These birds after being rescued are so pleased and happy they allmost become freinds for life if treated kindly.very good with chooks ,there allmost able to be hand held some of the soft buggers,even had 1 who kep jumping on my back whilst i was bending over cleaning the trough.

My self I beleive that if ya not sure, pefectly in here, then i keep my mouth shut,unless i know something. People in here,and Im not blaming you totally Tam,....Well sometimes i think it maybe detrementle to the info we come here to get...If your a newbie asking bout, say tadpoles,or silk worms
    and someone just happens to type in that A breed (may) croak noiseier then frog B.When they might not know for sure,well isnt that a bit confusing,for the frog searcher,especially if the infos wrong.or hearsay..OR even worse an old wives tale....

Hey CAn we drop the guessing,and if we dont know ,we dont know, Its as simple as that...Im sure we got enough here who do know, who can and do manage to answer all our questions here, and pretty dam fast and efficiently too.
    Ive rescued a few thousand isa.s over the years and Guess what!!!
    I dont get many if any complaints..People allways remark about there hens..

This was not meant to be a personal attack On Tam or anyone else in here

Tezza

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Tam,

You didn't deserve that tirade from Tezza.

Tezza, mate, you were off base, for a couple of reasons. First, you should work on being nicer when you disagree with someone, especially someone who shares so freely of her massive amounts of experience (that is, of course, unless they are promoting Round Up :lol: ).

One of the reasons is that preserving these breeds is extremely important work, and Tam is to be commended for her dedication to keeping these historic breeds alive. Those breeds are extremely valuable resource for the future. Every time we lose a domesticated breed, we lose the intelligence and forethought of previous generations, forever, along with all the chosen and desirable genetic expressions that created the breed in the first place.

While some of the qualities these varieties have are less useful to you, they were useful enough to generations of people to ensure that they were bred.

Just so you know, I also raise RI Reds, and they are great birds. They lay alot, they forage well, they are good birds. I am crossing them with local chooks, but I would LOVE to be able to raise pure bred Silkies, Australorps, Dorkings, Isas, RI Browns, whatever kind of bird I could find! They all sound excellent, and as a food security strategy, building your flock from a context that values biodiversity is a fantastic way to go.

What you are doing, Tam, is %100 valuable work, raising these varieties. Even if they give less eggs, or meat, or whatever, those breeds themselves have intrinsic value, and their genes are so valuable that they need to be rescued before we homogenize the poultry of the world down to three or four varieties.

Tezza, even if the only value was in Tams enjoyment of her interesting breeds, that is still valid. However, as I said, raising these breeds is so impolrtant as they are all being displaced by other varieties.

And Tam is right. Birds that lay heavily, especially on forced diets high in protein have shorter and miserable lives.

Yer awesome, Tam! So are you, Tezza! Tezza, you be nice! If you need to beat up on someone, find someone worth beating up on (wheres agrobigfarm when you need him?) Tam is wonderful, her work is extremely important, and she didn't deserve this from you.

Love to you both,

C

4. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Mmmmm, I think your itchin for a fight Tezza, but your dancin around and treading on toes you have no reason to be treading on. I just read through the whole post and I can't even figure out what your upset about. Ok, you may not agree with what Tam has said, and thats fine, we'll never all agree about everything but you made what I thought was a very personal and aggressive attack at Tam... And yes I did read through your post more than once...

It's a little like ford vs holden (not that I like cars), but obviously chook breeds are something close to a chook breeders heart, and you can probably argue about it all day long, yet at the end of the day it doesn't change anything... The breeds are still the same, and anyone who has been following the discussion trying to figure out what chook breed to get, has just given up on the idea of ever having chooks, it's easier just to buy the eggs. :?

Tam, you don't need to defend your statements by giving links to information, there was nothing to defend in your posts I found them informative and very unbiased.. When I asked if you thought that australorps were THE best all round general purpose breed in a different thread, you were very politically correct in saying that they were your FAVOURITE.

Now Tezza, come on, I thought you'd just got back from holiday, from a break away at the beach... Your meant to be chilled, man..... 8) 8)

5. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Tully thinks>> To purchase battery hens is doing them more harm than good....it only encourages the bastards!! $$$

6. christopher

Joel,

Yer completely of your bloody rocker, mate. Fords and Holdens. Please. Toyota is obviously the only way to go. Any wanker can tell you that. You should know better.

C :wink:

7. ~Tullymoor~

Tully also sadly thinks>>>>> This is more to do with Tam politely suggesting Tezza read and edit his posts before hitting submit (In another thread, can't find it to link to it :evil: ) Isn't it Tezza?? :(

By the way Joel, Australorps won an egg laying comp run over a year in the US and were touted as the best egg layer in the world! Will find the link to that too if I can....up to my neck in washing and housework and repotting all my succulents.
    What a MAGNIFICENT day it is here today!!

8. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

I feel this will be a silly question, but on the subject of egg laying. Is it true that if a laying box isn't provided then chooks won't lay as often??

Did that make sense? I want chooks, but want them more for the work they can do for me as opposed to the number of eggs they will give.

9. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

yeeaahh, thinkin of tradin the tojo in on a holden 1 tonner....... Or maybe a volvo.. :D :D

Not....!

10. ~Tullymoor~

Corny, G'day, mine don't have any nesting boxes, they lay in the hay on the floor of the shed. They are all descendants of Jungle Fowl and would really rather free range all day and roost in trees at night etc....I don't think there are any nesting boxes in a jungle...are there PwCw?? Never bin to a jungle :lol:
    If you're freeranging them and using them as workers they would lay under, in and around shrubs etc...tall grasses would be good I'd think..pampas grass would make me wanna lay an egg :D Mr Mollison speaks of his Grandmother's hens (sneakily) laying under a box thorn bush, perfect as it has mongrel thorns for protection from predators and a million little berries to eat as well. Go for it, they don't "need" all these houses and boxes and stuff that we go to so much trouble and expense to provide them with.....not really.
    We do all that stuff so *we* feel good...I think :wink:

11. christopher

Tullymoor (D :love7: ) and Corny,

Here in the deepest jungle, we keep our birds in a pen until noon, that way they lay their eggs in the house where we can find them. After 12 they free range all about, eating whatever they can find.....

We get periods when our birds only lay a few eggs a day... we thought... until we find a cluster under a lime bush... or under the steps in our stone house....

Anyway, that's been our experience....

C

12. Cornonthecob

Bugger! thought it wouldn't work...never hurts to check though. We only eat so many eggs and you can only give away so many too. Plus throwing them at passing cars soon loses it appeal.

Would pigs eat eggs?

13. ~Tullymoor~

Corny, where's that lateral thinker gone?? :D You sell them...with your Lychees, salads-in-a-bag and all your other bits!
    I *think* pigs would eat a shit sandwich...if someone made it for them :D

14. Cornonthecob

it's just the thought of having to go egg hunting every day...wouldn't mind if they were chocolate eggs!

15. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Hey corny.... You might be able to hard boil the eggs and feed them to the fish....... :D :D :D :D :D

16. Cornonthecob

Yeah??

bloody variables! Don't be playing with my emotions now.....fish would eat that?

:)

17. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Well Said Tulls....apparently they are all desended from the jungles.

No ive never seen a nest box on my travels in forests either.
    Chooks if given the chance will lay in a box,but if feeling threatend,(someone keeps removing or eating her eggs) will move to a more secure place..

Yes its hard finding a bunch of useless old eggs hidden..but thats nature.Mums are so clever sometimes....I keep my chooks off the floor as its bad for them to be sleeping where they poop.thats where scaley leg,stick fast and a host of bugs develop from.....Ive tried trees,there ok as long as there sturdy to hold chook weights.In my town if they got left out 365 days a year theyd die of cvold in winter ,or drown from the rain...The tip is to help em find their own best way.My plan over time is to establish an outside place to hide or keep warm..but needing to take into consideration the fact that babys hatching out at altitude makes life complicated or the day olds to get around.

Tezza

18. christopher

Tullymoor (D :love7: ),

Why I Don't Eat Pork (or Pigs Eat Shit in Belize)

By Christopher Nesbitt

The village of San Benito Poite, located 4 kilometers from the Guatemalan border, is a small Kekchi Maya community, mostly recent immigrants from Guatemala, refugees from the crushing poverty, high population densities and that nations troubled internal politics and civil unrest. In the spring of 1990, when this story takes place, there were about 20 families there, with maybe 180 people in the whole village.

The village is mostly corn farmers, making a living from slash and burn agriculture in a semi timeless cycle of clearing, planting and harvesting. Many of the people there speak no English and no Spanish, so if you want to learn Kekchi, this is a good place to go...

The village is spread out, with most houses not in sight of the neighbors house. There is a school in the center, run by the Catholic Church, and a small informal catholic church. There were also two different Pentecostal churches nearby, churches where the worshippers roll around on the floor and babble in tongues, where little old ladies get the spirit and dance like 19 years olds on the beach at dawn in Goa after an all night rave.

In those days there was no road to Poite. You had to walk in. There were several ways to walk in, but I always liked walking in from the equally small village of Aguacate, where the road stopped and the trail began.

Its still a 12 mile walk from Aguacate. The walk out of Aguacate, goes over a range of hills, and runs up the upper reaches of the Moho River.

The Moho River is a wonderful body of water. Most of the walk from Aguacate, the river is prety close, and there are small trails off into the bush to pools along the river.

The upper Moho is a series of waterfalls and pools, one after another, after another, miles and miles of cascades. The pools themselves are all world class swimming holes, each and every one worthy of a Disney movie... and the river is beautiful, and sort of hard to belive its real, considering the overpowering beauty of the water.

On both sides the bush looms over head. Howler monkeys can be heard, sometimes even seen, and iguanas sit in the branches, looking warily down at you.

By the time we reached Poite, oh those many years ago, I hed developed a powerful thirst. Reaching the centre of the village I was happily surpised to se Edward Higinio, a guy I knew from Punta Gorda Town, back on the coast. He was equally happpy and as surprised as I was to find me there, in this remote village, nestled between the Moho River and a smaller tributary.

Edward had been working in the village for the previous year. As a Garifuna, an Afroamerindian, he found life in the village a bit lonely. Tho he was widely respected as the Principal of the local school, he was also black in a remote Kekchi community.

The Kekchi Maya are pretty xenophobic, as well they should be given their history. Time after time, outsiders arrivals in their community meant displacement, loss of land, or worse. So fear of outsiders is wide spread, and racism against blacks is common, especially in the more isolated communities like Poite.

Edward invited me in to his teachers house, put a kettle on and we talked about his work there. He liked the village, and had been mostly well received.he was widely respected in the community, in part because his Kekchi was near flawless, but after some time in thie remote location, he obviously wanted to talk about sports, music, politics, anything other than bean and corn harvests, weather and all the sorts of topics likely to come up in a remote agrarian community.

We sat, drinking coffee, talking sports and politics, making plans to go see the Maya ruins of Pusilha, and then, as sometimes happens after drinking coffee, i had a powerful urge to, :oops: um, well, defecate.

I asked where the toilet was and was pointed at a trail off into the bush... which I promptly walked down a ways... and it petered out to nothing. I looked to see where the trail went, and... as I looked and the urge be came stronger, I realized the trail went exactly there....

I squatted down, and began the process....

As I was in the squatting position, I heard a trotter coming through the bush, >oink, oink< right at me, from over my right shoulder. Go away, I yelled, flailing my arms in an attempt to somehow, in my very vulnerable stat,e to look intimidating. Mr Trotter veered off course into a holding pattern, circling around me, in the bushes, as i finished my, um, business.

As I left, Mr Trotter swooped in and I could hear him devouring my warm tasty shit behind me.

There were, at that time, no toilets or pit latrines in the whole village.

I am all into nutrient cycling, but this is the ultimate closed loop, and I have to say I did my best to avoid eating any pork in the village, that trip and every other time in Poite. I did, however, eat some chooks, since the meat was organic and my Kekchi was inadequate to explain my vegetarianism without offending.

So, yes, Tullymoor, pigs will eat a shit sandwich, even if you forget the bread.... and that is why I don't eat pork (and I don't mean to offend any of you wonderful people out there who raise nice clean pigs.....!)

Maybe someday I will bore you with the sordid details of how I was offered a wife in Poite for USD35..... luckily I waited for Dawn....

19. ~Tullymoor~

Instead of responding with wow, great story, beautiful river, interesting peoples, YUKKY-POo pig etc etc....After loving reading that I just wanna say Man, you are having the BEST life aren't you mate? You are living a life uncommon.

20. christopher

Tullymoor (D),

Most days my life is pretty good, but plenty days my life is pretty messed up. Keeping busy is how I deal with the bad days.

The good days mostly out number the bad days.

I'm glad you liked the story. Its pretty funny, now, but at the time I thought I was going to get bit in the ass by a 300 kilo hog..... which wouldn't have been funny, at least not for me....

C