Where to buy bulk grains?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by fourth, Feb 23, 2011.

1. fourth

fourth Junior Member

I recently bought a home mill and have a bag of grain, but the price was pretty high ($55 for 20kg).

Does know of any better places to buy? Primarily I'm only looking for Wheat, but I'm half interested in maize as well, and of course am curious about what other things I can grind and use at home...

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    We need to know where abouts you are ie at least what country so you get appropriate replies.
    If you are in NZ you can get hold of biograinsNZ and check out their prices which I think are cheaper than what you paid.

3. fourth

fourth Junior Member

So sorry! I was even thinking I shouldn't forget that as I was typing. I live in Sydney.

4. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

local stock food store would be best place to try .. strangely enough regulations for animal food can be stricter than for people.
    taste of fresh ground flour is amazing .. Mum had a very heavy duty grinder with steel and stone blades .. she would mix in some different grains like rye and buckwheat .

5. fourth

fourth Junior Member

This is a good idea. However as a person living just a few km from the CBD the closest 'stock' store is probably up in the hunter. Perhaps out Richmond or Picton way, maybe 1-2 hours drive...

6. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

Ask around if any of your local farmers buy what you're looking for, and ask them if you could buy a bag or two at his cost (delivered) plus a bit of markup. Just make sure he knows what you're using it for, and that it isn't treated SEED, instead of FEED.

Sue

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Is there an organic supermarket close by? You might be able to talk to them about buying in larger quantities for you cheaply.

8. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member