where do you dry your clothes in wet weather?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by forest, Dec 1, 2005.

1. forest

forest Junior Member

I refuse to use my clothes dryer. I've had it for over 20 years and it still works, but I don't want to use all that electricity. At the moment, we are in the middle of huge rainstorm. I've brought the clothes I had hanging on the clothes line and they are now pegged on a rope on the back verandah. We are lucky that we installed a big verandah front and back when we bought this house. It cools in the summer and gives the dogs and us places to sit.

I'm wondering if anyone else dries their clothes like this in wet weather or if others use dryers. I also want to know if anyone has building instructions for one of those old fashioned wooden clothes hangers that you can fold up when not in use. I'd like my Dh to make me one.

2. bjgnome

bjgnome Junior Member

My wife just hung up a load of laundry right next to the computer here 5 minutes ago. We have a portable clothing rack, we use as a drying rack. We hang shirts right on clothes hangers, and then put those on the rack to dry. On sunny days the whole rack rolls out on the balcony, and it comes in when it rains. Seeing as sun and rain alternate pretty frequently here in South Florida, this works best for us.

Jonathan

3. murray

murray Junior Member

i'm into the energy conservation thing too, and avoid using the dryer.

instead, i drive my clothes around at 120kmh, hanging one piece out the window at a time.

4. forest

forest Junior Member

LOL. Murray, you make me laugh out loud. 8)

5. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

thanfully got rid of ours years ago

Tezza
    it helps to have 7 pairs of ever thing at least......it never rains any longer does it :lol: :lol:

6. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Don't have a drier.. Makes it hard in winter during footy season,,, and you forget to wash your gear after training thursday night, Sat morning comes around and you relise you have dirty gear... :) and it smell s like deep heat and sweat.

7. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

we also don't use a dryer. most of the time, even in huelo, the land of rain/sun/rain/sun/rain/sun, our clothes dry out on the line pretty well most of the time. if it is just too wet, we are lucky to have enough covered space to hang things. It can get pretty hard to find your way through the laundry on a rainy day though! A clothes line, right under a tin roof works well, as even when it is cloudy the tin roof heats up and helps to dry things out.

8. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

I don't have a drier either, and the old hills hoist had to go as there isn't enough room in my backyard. I bought the two largest right angle brackets I could buy about 500mm x 500mm, and screwed them to the wall at the side of the house under the eaves.. Then strung washing line cord backwards and forwards between the two brackets... keeps out of most rain being under the eaves, and it was cheap.

9. teela

teela Junior Member

drying washing in the rain

Rain? what rain? With just 300mm yearly rainfall we don't have that problem very often, but when we do I'm just so happy that its raining the washing can jolly well stay out and I don't care at all.

10. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Teela, that's the 2nd time in as many minutes you made me LOL. :lol:

Dan, yuk! Tezza, that's what we do! Murray, hahahaha!

Forest, our climates a lot different to yours and when it's wet here, it's usually also cold, at least at night it is, so I've got 2 really nice new clothes airers (my old one did the slits at 2 in the morning and caught on fire a few months ago! :shock: ) which my mum bought me and I sit them in front of the fire before going to bed. During the day I usually move them outside onto the verandah. It's a bit of a challenge moving a fully ladened clothes airer through doorways etc, that's why the new one's good, cos it's made of some sort of allow I think, and doesn't bend under the strain.

Yes, I do have a clothes drier, but only use it in emergencies or I put it on cool just to take the damp out of a batch of towels or sheets which may have been left out on the line for too long, and rain's forcasted. (by emergencies I mean I'm about to get dressed to go to a wedding and find that my only bra I can possibly wear with this particularly revealing dress has baby sick all over it!)

Is this thread like the confessional booth? :oops: I thought I made my confessions the other night!

Tam

edited to add - I forgot to mention that I have a whopping great big hills hoist. The best I've ever had. I can fit sooooo much washing on it, which sometimes stays there for a whole week! :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

HUH????????? Did I miss them???????????????? say them again lol go orn

Oh, I have clothesline rope strung under the carport but my washing usually hangs on the line for days/weeks on end like Tams.....I couldn't care less about it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

13. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Oh yeah, that's right...ya big piss pot!! :lol: :lol:

14. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

That was the problem. I haven't had a drink in so long, they went straight to my head! :oops:

edited to clarify: they were proper red wine glasses, so yes, quite big, but as required by etiquette, only 2/3 full.

15. christopher

christopher Junior Member

We get over 5 meters of rain a year here, so we designed our house with wide over hangs and a veranda on all sides. We hang our laundry on high tensile wire strung between posts on the outside of the stone verandah on the first floor during bott the wet and dry season.

The house is on top of a hill, so it gets a breeze of there is any wind blowing at all.

We have a Staber washing machine, made in Ohio, designed to use less than 20 gallons of water per load and 153 watt hours. It was made for the renewable energy market. It spins the nclother so fast that when they come out, they are onliy lightly moist, which makes the balance drying easier.

The staber is a life saver...

Best,
    C

[/i]

16. frosty

frosty Junior Member

we have a drier that hasnt been used for about 5 years ........ currently thinking of turinng it into something more useful ........

motor to replace the sick one on the cement mixer and the cabinet looks like it might make a chook nesting box 8)

we usually use the SOLAR dryer aka hills hoist :lol: :lol:

but when it rains we put the closes inside on a folding clothes rack ....... it works well in winter because we always have the fire burning

frosty

17. Guest

um, on the verandah's Forest. As far as I remember Qld NT and NSW homes have had 'big wet' design features pretty much dating back to the early settlement huts. Even in SA, we had sunrooms...

18. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

we always lives in flats and dries our clothes on this foldables lines. One time I had one which I put on the top of the washing machine in the bathroom.

19. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

I have a verandah, a wood heater, a clothesline under the verandah and a dryer. During summer the clothes go on the line of course, on sunny winter days they go on the airer(s) outside (yes I know the difficulty of getting a full airer from in front of the fire and onto the verandah!) but once winter kicks in properly the front of my fire is usually inaccessible for bum warming due to bloody great amounts of washing drying.. My dryer is used so rarely that it is really hardly worth having.

20. HoneydaleFarm

HoneydaleFarm Junior Member

Drying clothes in winter in Tassie can be a pain, they go out wet, they come in wet and cold! So we do the old put them on a rack near whatever heating source is around, and it helps keep the air moist too as it can get too dry with heating!!

I heard the funniest story from Billy Connelly the other day about having a mother over from Scotland in Sydney I think, and when he showed her the view over the houses on a sunny blue afternoon, she was heard to exclaim...

"ahh its such a shame. On a day like this a no-one has any washing out!!"

...subtle but actually quite thought provoking!