Where Did Everyone Go?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Dani, May 18, 2006.

1. Dani

Dani Junior Member

I tend to be a bit of a spasmotic poster; and so sometimes don't visit for periods; but i started reading the forum again recently; and lots of posters appear to have vanished!! Where did Tam, Tully, RF etc go??? Did I miss something? Anyhoo, just wanted to say that I was really sad to see that they don't seem to visit here anymore, everyone has positive and negative attributes, but each individual adds something special to this forum; and it doesn't seem the same without them, its strange how you can miss people you've never met ;)

2. clonte

clonte Junior Member

Hi Dani,

I guess that time passes and when you are on the land and have family committments etc more time passes...
    we are still trying to finish drying our fruit after a dreadful harvest, it has been unusually wet and cold for Mildura, and lots of the horticulurists of all types are struggling, along with our cousins all over Australia I suppose. our vege patches and chooks sometimes have to take second place and we forget to keep in touch. so hi to all who have been too busy to post and hurry back.

clonte :wink:

3. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

4. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Dani,

There was a period here, over a few weeks, when a group with an agenda went on the attack. Nothing was sacrosanct, sadly, every issue was to be used in two ways - either taken as offensive or used to attack.

Tragically, Rainbow Farmer and others just left. Others went on to become super-dooper administrators/regulators/moderators at a site called sublife or lowlife, which is probably definitive. Should be able to google it, if not, the link is posted in this forum on a regular basis.

I think given the massive number of lurkers we now have on this site they are not too far away.

Nowadays you can post whatever you want in this forum and be neither misconstrued or suffer an orchestrated attack.

So good luck and keep posting

floot

5. Richard on Maui

I don't know. I don't think they're lowlife's over there at all. I like the lot of them, but I just prefer the consistency of this forum, the format and all... I think the name of Sublife is meant to indicate something about subsistence or something?

6. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Dani,

Tam and Tully are both over at Aussies Living Simply (which was called "sublife" before), with Fran, Kimble, Forest, Joel, Baldcat, Bazman, Cornonthecob, Jez and a bunch of others who used to post here, or post here and there, like Gardenlen, me and Tezza (aka Terrence).

Rainbow Farmer left over a thread about aquaponics, which you can read at: https://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewt ... aquaponics

You can decide how attacked she was. After she left, Bigag left. Those are the only two who left that I know of, who didn't end up at the other site.

RF leaving was too bad as she had a tonne of info, and it is doubly a shame that she misread what people wrote in that thread as an attack.

Anyway, I posts at both sites. I don't think I am a lowlife (hahahaha!!), but I'm not a superdooper administrater, either.....

This site has become a much nicer place than it was in those tumultuous months, and appears to be about as active as it was in September and October of last year, albeit with lots of different faces.

Best,

C

7. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yeah Funny how alot of them just shifted away..Most hang around Sublife witch is a very nice web page covering lots of handy hints re orgnic growing etc etc etc.
    Trouble was SOME were fence sitters,those who didnt really know much about permaculture,but hung around,because they got the attention,
    Attention Seekers allways moove along to find new people.Some of them particulerry Joel were allways there to answer anyones queeries and answer
    all questions.Chris was another ever present answering everyones
    Questions.Trouble was we musta attracted a few ring ins..Those who are born shit stirrers who came in to make mischeif and cause mayhem.there was a lot of pettiness around a lot of negativity.People arguing and fighting over nothing at all...

Trouble was We were all behaving like normal human beings(that sums it up)

People allways move around a bit at times.Some people just dont care,and like you say have become busy as a result of the knowledge gathering expertises...Unfortunatly some just grab the info and run,

Thats human nature for You.....

There is only one Permaculture,and to call it anything else would just confuse everyone..

I want Permaculture.No where else will u find it..Not like this anyways,

I think Murrey does a great job on our boards,Permaculture isnt about Controling people its about Helping People.If he was to delete anything he thought maybe objectionable there wouldnt be much in here some days..
    Permaculture means no censorship i hope. As humans we ll need to get along with our neighbers...(no choices)

It is everyone right to come n go in here without fear....

Living Simple is that ..Living Simple great site great news and ideas.

But its not Permaculture. In fact, if disscussing various subjects and using the word Permaculture would be classed as illegal woudnt it?

To use the word Permaculture,would require an accepted certificate stating your credentials....

So its their loss not ours.......

I prefere to chat as a permie,not a so n so part time green minded nobody.

Terence

Saying that id welcome all our previous posters back anytime they want

8. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Life is about constant change and evolution. It does get rather difficult to keep up with everything nowadays but I hope that there should be no bad feelings between members, whether they be past, present, or just not here as often as they used to..... :D :D

It IS good to see that some things never change, while other are in a constant state of flux...

9. naturally inspired

naturally inspired Junior Member

Why do you need an accepted certificate to state your credentials in order to use the word permaculture?

10. Ev

Ev Junior Member

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au had never been there before
    Simple has a seed & plant exchange sounds useful anyone be able to tell me about it n save me the trouble of signing on please

11. Richard on Maui

Naturally Inspired, the way Bill set up the PDC was that you have to take one in order to be able to use the word in an enterprise... I guess the idea is that it prevents people from cashing in on the name recognition without actually knowing the basic principles. The whole idea that the word and logo be copyrighted though, is pretty offensive to most practitioners that I know...

12. teela

teela Junior Member

where did everyone go

I've tried to get on to that "aussies living simply" site but it seems to have frozen. Anyone know if they are having probs? or is it just me lol?

13. naturally inspired

thanks Richard. I guess it just annoys me that there is so much exploitation in the world and that people doing the right thing have to suffer for it. It really sux!! a person who genuinely wants to practise permaculture cant do so unless they have a certificate (well not if they want to sell their excess produce anyway). and of course taking the PDC is likely to be a good idea and you can earn lots from it but what can a course really teach you when permaculture is sooooo amazingly diverse and each persons little piece of land is different and therefore requires different application of the permaculture principles. plus if you live remotely or somewhere where permaculture is rare, getting to a course could cost quite a bit of money. (these are just minor issues-the annoyance over exploitation is my big issue)

ah well. just gotta live through it i guess and do my best to change the things i dont like about the world. starting with changing my own beliefs and actions, then moveon to other interested souls.

14. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

Hi everyone, I hope this helps:

Cheers. :D

15. naturally inspired

thanks for that alex!

16. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

How very interesting. I left this forum due to backbiting and sniping, and lo and behold, I venture back and what do I find?? Backbiting and sniping.

Quite SIMPLY I cannot be bothered. I will go elsewhere to learn more about Permaculture. I might even get accredited in order to be able to utter the word without being hailed a heretic.

Shame on those who still feel the need to judge. "Lowlife"?? How very rude.

:(

17. murray

murray Junior Member

hi lolly

nice to see you again.

interestingly, the board is humming with the most amount of positivity and helpfulness that i've ever seen in my five years running it and my stats are certainly showing the highest traffic numbers and most new registrations ever.

it's a good time to be here and you're very welcome to participate.

cheers

m.

18. christopher

Murray,

In fairness to all, this board has regrown a lot, but, Murray, you are wrong. The most peole ever on line here was back in September of last year, a period of flourescence and growth unparalleled by this recent spurt of interest and activity, when we had 95 people on line at one time. This board has not seen numbers like that since. Many people left, Murray, because they did not feel this place was "theirs". It has been YOUR forum.

At ALS, in the absence of threatening tone, objectionable (racist, sexist, etc) content, none of the moderators would delete an entire thread with out talking about it with the participants first, like you unilaterally decided to do with the Fluff thread here. That thread had many, many months of community effort in it, with dozens of different people involved, and had more posts on it than any other 5 threads combined. It had over 30 pages of content. heppily, I reread it a week or so before it was deleted. I laughed a lot reading it.

Tam, apparently, left over that decision, and before you deleted that thread, she had over 1000 posts here, many of them lengthy and well informed on subjects like rare breeds of chooks, goats, milking, and her participation here was a very positive thing. She left, in part, because she felt this place doesn't belong to the people who make it happen. WSether or not you see it that was a loss to this forum. She was a valuable contributor.

If this board belonged to us, the people who contribute to it (which you have said, occasionally), then you would have asked us if you could remove it bfepre you deleted it. I said it before, it was a thoughtless act of vandalism on your part to delete it.

The other, ALS, site has developed a very strong community feeling to it, and people exchange different info, keep in touch, maintain photo albums, while away the hours in chat room, etc, etc

That is what was happening here, that is where this site was going, until last year Oct/Nov/Dec, when many people bailed out over silly eruptions from a few people, most of whom have moved on, too, small and stupid arguments about things like wether ot not Round Up was a good thing, when Jeff spouted off that Round Up was good, that cheating organic certification was fine, and that he encouraged that, and made racist jokes and public bufoonery (which appears to be gone, now... ), without censure, and people debated if Round Up was a causative or an agent of suicide, or not, if aquaponics was a good thing, and "ignore" became an option (my vote:
    1. Roundup: BAD
    2. Aquaponics: GOOD :wav:
    3. "Ignore" : STUPID)
    and went to the other board. Most of the active people from that time are over there now, in part because things like calling all the participants who fled the hostility here and found refuge there "lowlifes" would not be tolerated there, and appears to be here. Those people, and I am one of them, like one another, just like I like a lot of people here.

Now I am happy to see some life returing to this board, albeit with different faces, and, as Dr J pointed out, life is change. The original people who posted on this site are all long gone. Read back and see. There is no sign of any of those people. This community is flexible. It grows, it dies, people get active, they lose interest, the stay for a while, they move on, just like life. Life is change. In one years time, maybe only a few people active now will still be here. Tezza will be one of them!

I think, for many of us, rising to the bait of puerile and sophmoric people and their silly utterances is a waste of time. Agree to disagree (especialy with those who are, as we say, "disagreeable". Better than being "Ignorant")!

Peace!

19. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Whatever happened to Dani?

floot

20. christopher

You don't want to know.