Where can i get 30 litres of crude oil?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by blacksquare, Jul 9, 2010.

1. blacksquare

blacksquare New Member

hi all,

i'm a visual artist seeking to obtain a very small amount of unrefined crude oil (30 litres) in Australia for a project/exhibition in 2012.

so far i have been in contact with two refineries and have had no luck. the primary, and i guess justified issue is one of 'duty of care' with the oil companies and in there potential liability for any risks involved in the handling of the crude, in both the production of the artwork and in its exhibition...."chain of ownership, product stewardship".

i am well aware of the potential hazards intrinsic to this project, however this was to become an intrinsic component of the project, the potential to merge science and art into a very tightly orchestrated occupational health and safety presentation and performance. i have the backing of a faculty in a major university, however this has yet to prove credible to the refineries approached.

anyhow...if you know of any means in which i could bypass the refineries/large mega distributors in Australia/Sydney please let me know.

i'd even opt for a back of the truck routine. send me a discreet email if need be. [​IMG]

there has to be a way!!!!

cheers,

2. Adam

Adam Junior Member

Come over to the U.S. Gulf Coast., there's plenty to go around over there! You might have to wring it out of some pelicans, though. (Ok, we all know someone was going to make the joke so it might as well be me...)

But seriously, what sort of project/exhibition will you be doing? If it is only for visual purposes and you can't find a source of crude oil, then chocolate syrup has a very similar look and consistency.

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Oil refinery?

4. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

In one of my past lives I was a mechanic. I remember making really beautiful toxic spills out of red transmission fluid and green glycol coolant over a base of used dirty oil.It was very influential in forming my attitude i.e. such a bad thing that looked so good.cant help with the crude but bitumen paint may suffice.

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

OP a few years ago, someone made an installation in the National Gallery of Canberra using oil. I don't know if it was crude but you could try to contact the gallery and ask them about it. I think it was in the mid to later 1990s. I find it odd that you've come here to ask for this.

6. cooloola

cooloola Junior Member

7. blacksquare

blacksquare New Member

thanks for responses.