When to harvest potatos when plants are burnt

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by petal, Feb 5, 2009.

1. petal

petal Junior Member

Hi,
    I live in Melbourne. Our potato patch was growing well until 4 days with temperatures over 40 degrees Celsius last week. The plants were basically burnt to the ground by the hot sun. Some of the stems are still green. They were approaching harvest time and we had been digging up a few as needed.
    Now the plants have been damaged, will the potatoes store better if left in the ground, or should we dig them all up now?

Thanks,
    Petal

2. IntensiveGardener

IntensiveGardener Junior Member

Re: When to harvest potatos when plants are burnt

i would harvest them.
    Spuds do keep better in the soil over winter. At the moment though we're at risk of more weather like that and spuds left in the soil could cook or turn green once the protection of their plants is gone.
    ig

3. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

Hello - I would also imagine that it is better to harvest them if it is so hot and the plants have gone but I'n not an expert. I left sweetpotatoes in the ground as I wasnt sure if they would grow bigger or not and they got eaten below soil level by some kind of grubs so I imagine that would also be a risk for you.
    Just curious,
    I have been told where I live that I cannot grow potatoes - it is a climate with maximum temperatures ( except for April May) of about 33 C but its not that temperature in morning or evening and not very hot at night. I have been wondering why everyone says you can't grow potatoes here(none I know has tried) and now I hear of potatoes being grown when the tempretature is in the 40's I'm wondering. Actually I experimented growing some in a big sack but they got some blight or something as it was in the middle of the rainy season and I cut them down fearing it might spread to the tomatoes.
    Might it be worth giving them a try again in a drier time of year or am I just wasting my time?Could they produce tubers in such a climate?

4. ppp

ppp Junior Member

sindhooram.

The climate in which the 40+°C has been is hot and dry in the summer and cold and wet in the winter. Your mention of "rainy season" indicates to me that you live in a tropical or subtropical climate? It might therefore be that it isn't the temperature, but the seasons that could make growing potatoes difficult for you. I have had trouble growing potatoes in the subtropical climate of brisbane, though others may have had more luck.