When designing your place did you???

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Pakanohida, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I am curious, did anyone make a sacred area for themselves, or a meditation area to sequester themselves away?

The recent discussion about 8 fold living, etc has me thinking about it.:bow:

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Mine is called 'the garden'. I sequester myself away in there as often as possible. The kids are learning how to find me out there but I have some crafty little hideaways that still protect me ;)

3. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

I have found that such areas are already there it is up to me to identify utilise and nurture them.It is difficult to explain such areas but you just know there is something special when you come across them.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I agree with that PS, there is a spot under a willow tree down the back fence. It is a nice spot that we like to picnic under. I sometimes sit there and just look out.

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I found a lovely spot to meditate under the fig in my forest when i started out but it wasn't long before it became unsuitable because the marchflies have come and its impossible to meditate when you have biting insects around. If i do create such a place and i think its a nice idea, I will probably incorporate some mosquito netting and a roof for when its raining.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I never thought of that, too concerned with practical things at the time, unfortunately.
    I havent done much meditating for ages now and have been thinking about getting back into it again too, since sunburn started posting the 8 fold path.
    There is the park bench along the side fence line but it isnt very comfortable, I find the path or the long grass on hubby's side is much nicer to sit on.

7. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

We built our house on the edge of a hill, just inside the altitude circle in the photo. (The house is the black square.)

[​IMG]

I thought it would be auspicious to have the house in a protected area of a vesica piscis, so we placed all the zone one activities like the animals shelters and the potager within the second overlapping circle and used the altitude circle as a guide when we made swales and terraces.

At the back of the house, just inside the vesica piscis, there's a lovely flat shady place where time seems to stand still and everything just seems to "fit". I love sitting out there and so do our animals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funnily enough, I hosted a PDC here for a day a few months ago and at the end of the session everyone in the group just gravitated towards "my" space and sat on the ground for the "wrap up" session. I was very moved.

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I have an area that is a paved circle covered by a dome shaped trellis with a passionfruit on it. It is called the meditation dome or the passion pit depending on the mood I'm in. I use it about 4 times a week for meditation. Can't wait for the vine to get a bit bushier. It is getting a bit warm in the mornings out there now.

And can we ban HWH from posting any more pictures? She puts the rest of us to shame.... ;-)

9. hardworkinghippy

I like sharing the things we do to give other people ideas and the courage to do stuff but if you keep saying things like that, I'll run away and hide and won't post for ages because I feel embarrassed . :blush:

Oh yeah ?

That's a whole new thread if you ask me ! 8)

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Don't let me stop you posting, I'm just jealous that my place looks like a weed nursery at present, and yours is stunning! And sadly the only passion that happens is the way I look at the passionfruit on the vine with lust. But I live in hope that may change!

11. hardworkinghippy

Well I hope so too !!

Our place is full of weeds and brambles and areas of rubble and old metal things but we weren't talking about that - thank goodness !

Even if you're living in a place which is full of stuff you don't like, it's important to have a quiet little place where you can just "be" and appreciate what you have already. ;)

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Your photos are inspiring.

Eco... heheheheheheh

13. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

I have not designed any sacred places into our garden. Our garden is so new that I haven't yet found such a place, so I try to sit down every once in a while and just watch.

This was part of what we called the "Green guild." Salad green and shade tolerant plants. Since it was the first week of July, temps were soaring and our brassicas were the first to bolt. Gardens like these are worth spending time in, so much is going on. I can't wait to see what happens next, especially as our soils improve and diversity increases.

[​IMG]

Great thread and beautiful pictures!

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Wait till your endive starts to flower - pretty purple blue. I grow lots of it because it is 1. easy 2. the chooks love it 3. I can add it to a salad and 4. the flowers are pretty!

15. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

16. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

ebunny, I like the second place a lot. Conifers bring to mind stability, for that reason I like to sit under them. They do well to help center oneself and, of course, their deep shade is nice in the summer.