when a climax species loses its niche,,,it is displaced, or worse.

Discussion in 'General chat' started by kimbo.parker, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Immigrant from Britain. I'm not sure how the term came about.

This from wikipedia:
    I can see it as a derivative of pompous for some reason, but that's apparently wrong.

2. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

I can imagine a fog-induced fair-skinned English sunless resident would turn into a POMegranate in Australia. Ha!

3. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Southern Louisiana is no better, but I must say that I tan rather well. My sister, on the other hand....red as a beet!

4. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Those swamp cypress grow well here!
    what do you use em for?

5. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

I'm trying to imagine how you could twist 'immigrant' and 'pomegranate' into rhyming slang!
    Pomegrant?

6. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Back in the day, cypress was used for house construction. Now, it's use is limited in the coastal south because they finally figured out that it's our hurricane protection. But yes, it is a very good wood.

7. Rick Larson

Right on!

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

We Aussies are known for our murderous use of the Queen's English. And of course our cousins across the Tasman are known as Kiwi's and the inhabitants of north America are Yanks. Nothing is sacred.

9. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

hang on -

i believe the question was " what's a Pom "?.

in the traditional sense, a whingeing white wanker from england.

in the contemporary sense, any white from england.

i see controversy looming !
    because i feel there are;
    no black poms,and there are no muslim poms.

and this leeds me to the recognition that Aussies ( the ones who decide if a Poms a Pom )
    are doing a neat little bit of social sorting and something of a dance.

'we' have decided that even if the english have become generally black and muslim, a Pom keeps its cultural identity in the hearts and minds of australians .
    there is no doubt that little england, along the coast north of Joondalup, is packed with Poms, of the traditional - non multikulti type - having fled cultural displacement in old, lost england.

typically a pom is a white guy, burned red, irritating accent, wouldn't know good football, sings badly, frequently and out of place. Total pricks to share a sports ground with. Unaccustomed to good cold beer they reach their peek as police officers - Pomy cops are the best in the world...

they like to fly 2 flags in front of their houses in Western australia; the union jack and their soccer teams
    they have no food culture,,,and most of the women are 2 axehandles across the arse.

i like them as a culture and a people that i can tolerate within the inner perimeter of 200 km.

i appreciate them as a climax species and know they have the capacity to hold niche.....I can work some synergies with them.....
    they make a reasonable barb wire fence - just them being them.

i wouldn't want them inside the inner 200km. but i'd have them as close as i'd put any 'other' culture.

k

just like the bogan word c*nt,
    pom is stepping its way to becoming a term of endearment.

10. Rick Larson

How long are your axehandles?

11. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

England's cultural displacement came at the hands of the Romans and then by the Catholic Church(differentiating the two can be a fun exercise). What's left are half known pieces of lore that some people frantically try to put back together and call it Druidic. My cultural inheritance was lost thousands of years ago and the little that is known is now viewed as barbaric, crude and vulgar by the country of origin. Trying to find out the "Old Gods" is difficult enough, but there seems to be some consensus about at least a Mother Earth figure, which probably dates back to those Gaia Figurines that pop up from time to time.

I don't view Rome's Legacy as my own. There may be some Americans who feel the same way, even though their nation has taken up the Roman mantle after England couldn't keep up the Empire anymore. I just hope nobody picks up that mantle after America drops it. Let it rot in the dust where it belongs.

12. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Interestingly the two words are often used in conjunction, but with the adjective version of Pom - Pommy.

Pommy C*nt, which is not yet much used with endearment, but perhaps also going that way.

13. kimbo.parker

Classic Pom

Andy Murray's heart attack fear
    Wimbledon champion hits out at Australian Open organisers over the extreme heat conditions.

classic - white guy, funny accent, very red, whinge-ing about australia to australians, and about the temperature.

me heart, me heart !!!
    Bwwaahhhaahhahaaa - sorry

call that professional ? how much was he paid to take the heat for a bit?

it is a funny thing; upon hearing of this behaviour by a person, anyone, the australian psyche arcs up in preparation for a fight, in defence of that illusive (elusive?) national identity.
    yet, the minute they hear it was a Pom,

the smile returns, they relax knowing that 'its all been taken care of, long ago.
    and they want to know details;

how hot was it, how red was the pom, how loud was the whingeing, was anyone laughing, was there cramping, did any one mention the cricket, etc.

k

14. Terra

Terra Moderator

Poms sent many of their own to Australia many years ago to SUFFER what do they expect .

Andies welcome to come shearing with me I can teach him quick about comfortable.

15. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

:) :) :)

You crack me up :)

16. kimbo.parker

this is Utopia,

this is the multikulti australia

someone ought to tell the refugees.....

[video=youtube;ht8_5UlcgSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8_5UlcgSQ[/video]

17. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

That looks like a solid film!!!

18. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

19. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Going with the vein that culture is akin to a species simply because it can evolve over time or die out, there are still a lot of questions that I need answered. First, Europeans have displaced a lot of indigenous cultures from Canada down to the tip of South America, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, and even India. One could also say Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Palestine too. When Muslims(which is a religion and maybe not a culture) move to a predominantly European country(say Australia, or you could plug in America in to this context too), what culture are they displacing and what is that culture's right of ownership of the country?

If we're talking about indigenous cultures, then I'd be more behind you. If we're talking about a watered down version of European culture, then it gets sticky. However, culture like the life it imitates, is made to change. If a culture can not adapt, it is said to be a dead culture(Ancient Egyptian, Babylonian, Ancient Greek for example). Life is constantly in flux, usually from an outside influence(climate). The planet used to be a lush, tropical rain forest, and because of the changes in climate, other species came about and took over as climax species during their particular epoch. Why does anyone assume that culture should stand still in a steady-state?

I'll go ahead and throw one of our current dilemmas in to the mix: climate change. We're seeing extinction on a pretty large scale right now because these living organisms can't adapt. Ecosystems are now seeming to be coming to the end of their life cycle because we're losing apex predators(hunting could be a part of this, but we're now beginning to see the links in other places). What happens with these ecosystems remains to be seen. We now know that humans are more than likely responsible for this. We have the technologies and knowledge to fix these things. We don't fix anything on any appreciable scale, at least not yet. But these ecosystems have to either change, or die. We think that life on this planet will continue in some fashion even with rapid change because it has in the past. We assume that we're a climax species, but that remains to be seen. We could easily become a climax species, don't get me wrong, but our willingness to destroy is our limiting factor.

So with climate change, how do we choose what tree species is a climax species? I know what are supposed to be the dominant trees in my area, but will that be true in 50 years from now? How do I plan on which trees should take over in 100 years from oaks, maples, tupelo gums and pine trees if the temperatures and rainfall won't be the same? Right now, I have a fair idea that I can control water with earthworks. But if the temperature does go up by 4C, some of those climax species may not make it or be so riddled with disease that they are a hazard. Then we have the issue of CO2. Data is limited on what species of trees perform better with high atmospheric CO2(there are studies being done to see how native trees are handling excess CO2, at least in my area). There's talk about the gulf stream collapsing again because of polar ice melt, which may plunge Northern Europe in to another ice age-like situation. This in turn may mean that heat buildup in my area may be more than just the average 4C. If so, then what? I can't plant tropicals right now because they'll just die in winter(though the banana plants do come back yearly). That's assuming that I make it to tropical status and don't just flat out become a desert.

Which brings us back to culture. What, exactly, is a climax culture? Is it the most dominant culture within a political(artificial) boundary? How do we choose what's a dominant culture since each person has a slightly different view on their own culture? What if, for instance, we go with sates within a country? In Louisiana, the dominant culture could be viewed as Catholicism, or as Cajun. If we look at the US, then it's a watered down version of European(Colonial English) culture mixed with Protestantism. The cajuns came from France via Canada(twice displaced). But this level of confusion can easily be placed back to climax species of plants. At what time frame do we stop the clock to say if something is a climax species(culture) or not? Should we stop the clock at all?

All of this simply brings me back to Permaculture. It's fair to say that Permaculture may not be the answer, but it's the best we have right now. There are plenty of examples of Permacultural thinking that has attained enormous ecological benefits and are simply not called Permaculture. I'm not closed minded enough to believe that all we need is inside of the Designer's Manual, but the ethics, principles and design theory just seem a natural fit for what we're facing. We know they work. But as has been said in the past, Permaculture is more like a tool chest rather than the tools themselves. It's the foundation on which we use our tools. A hand plane is nothing without woodworking as a framework.

20. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Permaculture really impressed me as being the most practical answer to a whole host of problems & addresses multi-layer issues by working from the ground up. For me its brilliance is in its simplicity & it's focus on doing the bleeding obvious - or what was the bleeding obvious before we lost our way & became a tribe of infants. The aspect I most value is it's ability to transform the lives of women & children, being especially useful in third world countries, & giving women & children stability & security is the essential foundation for healing the planets ills. When the basic building blocks of family life have a foothold, more & more complex culture can grow. When basic needs aren't being met nothing thrives & the focus remains on survival at any cost.
    I don't have much experience with its application on larger scales, & have to say I was never very interested in that. For me it sort of misses the point, which I thought was that keeping things small scale makes them more manageable & therefore more likely to succeed. Permaculture does however offer many techniques & principles that can be used to greatly improve current common practice methods in many areas, & we will certainly see interest grow as fuel, materials, fertiliser, herbicides & pesticides become increasingly expensive, & weather patterns become more erratic. Permaculture principles will be adopted on a great scale, although I doubt it will be referred to as Permaculture, it'll be the latest new idea some mainstream agency touts as their own : /