What's this growing on my plants?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sbrokvam, Nov 30, 2009.

1. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

These may be very obvious, but not to me, so here goes:

I've got some funny things covering a few of my plants. Suggestions would be very welcome.

First, this fuzzy white stuff on a zucchini plant, which looks like this:

[​IMG]

Next, I just noticed some strange white oblong (egg-like?) blobs, a few millimetres long, on thin thin stalks or something, on the underside of one leaf on our tahitian lime.

[​IMG]

Sorry I could not get sharper images. The zoom on our camera is a bit wonky. For a bigger version of this, click here: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2Z4OR8FMRkY/SxNzokDAMJI/AAAAAAAAABk/hQ4OMKBMtew/s400/IMG_1917.JPG.

Thanks!

Ståle

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: What's this growing on my plants?

1. Powdery Mildew, though it looks like someone attacked it with the talc powder :mrgreen:

2. Looks like scale... Try wiping them of with a cloth dipped in vinegar (just use your finger not the whole cloth) hose off immediately with running water.

3. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

Thanks, I'll google for further info. I haven't yet had to deal with much in the way of pests or diseases - rather new to this, obviously :)

Ståle

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

Oi, Eric, can you please diagnose my fig tree?! :mrgreen:

5. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    I agree that the first one is powdery mildew; this can be stopped by spraying a water/milk spray, at a ratio of 10:1, spray on all surfaces and it will stop the mildew in it's tracks.
    Really bad leaves can be removed.
    Even untreated it doesn't do the plant much harm. This is usually caused by low air circulation and dampness.
    Can't help with the other one I'm afraid.
    cheers

6. permup

permup Junior Member

The second one is a type of fungus. The spores grow on hair-like threads. I guess this would indicate that the area is quite moist - thus the powdery mildew. The fungus is completey harm-free as far as I know, and I've only ever seen it in small amounts. No need to worry about it.

Paula.

7. geoff

geoff Junior Member

8. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

Yes, I suppose I should ease up on the watering a bit. I guess I'm just projecting - hailing from colder climes myself, I find Oz a bit toasty and so I'm thinking the plants must feel thirsty too. :)

I've removed the worst affected leaves, but haven't tried any of the suggested treatments yet. Will just see what happens if I cut down the moisture level a bit. One cucumber plant was kind of badly affected, and the whole plant looks a bit pale green. In general, what are some common causes of plants looking a bit 'anemic'? (I have a few corn plants looking pale too, but I know the soil is not great in that particular corner - I'd scored some topsoil from a neighbour's garden that he was going to take to the tip).

As for the egg'ish things, whoops if they were lacewing babes. I'll look more closely before removing if I see them again.

Thanks all,

Ståle

9. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

Just don't get the water on the leaves - you can give them plenty of water into the soil.

10. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain

One thing I learnt was to NOT walk through any sort of pumpkin/melon patch when it was wet and especially not near the end of the season when they are ripening and its humid.
    When I kept people away and wouldnt let them check out the pumpkins I usually didnt get powdery mildew but always do otherwise.
    I dont think they like their leaves being brushed against

11. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

I'm trying to crouch down and water the soil under the leaves, but the plants are spreading so much it's very hard to avoid them - pumpkins, cucumbers, zucchinis and squash - they're getting a lot bigger than we anticipated when we planted. Watering is actually starting to take a bit too long when you have to be that careful. Ah well, better getting too much food than too little.