What's the best way of treating Coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Dani, May 11, 2006.

1. Dani

Dani Junior Member

One of mum's new 6-10 weeks olds appears to have it.

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Hi Dani

my goat book says "chooks infected with coccidiosis recovered when goat manure was added to their litter" ........ :wink: meaning they eat it

goat manure is high in lots of vitamins

frosty

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I have occasionally lost a chook to coccidiosis [i think]. I always suspected it was part genetic susceptibility and basic chookyard hygiene.

I would scrub out water and food containers, add multivitamins and also move the chooks to a drier area. I also then over-fed them on clean grain so they had no need to forage.

It was never an issue with the chooks except sometimes in the wet season. My pigeons didnt ever contract it and it only ever seemed to affect enclosed birds.

Looking across the internet I didnt find anything useful on a natural coccidiosis cure. Check with your vet next time and see if he has a natural cure.

floot

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Coccidiosis.....In allmost 18years of chooks Ive only had the Problem Once.

and that the last attack was 5 years ago....

This is how I have solved this problem......

I bread some baby chooks from my flock,,As i was needing to buy some feed for the little darlings I bought them a bag of Chick starter.
    On the Bag on the information bits,It said that a chemical that (whatever)
    stops Coccidiosis in chicks..I started to feed the newly hatched chicks with this feed....Allthough it does say Dont feed to laying hens,I felt comfortable feeding to Mum and about 10 babies on this stuff,Unless you got a lot of babys lots gets left over and goes off quickly once bag is opened.From memory the other chooks used to get into and start trying to eat the food aswell(why not ).anyways over a period of a week or two i noticed a few hens were showing the signs,runny poos,yellow/white all types pooy feathered vents etc etc..I banged my head on the wal as Id bought the Show birds from a mate 4 months earlier and had NO probs at all up till then,over a week if went from 1 to 5 hens with this discharge..

Needless to say i rang my mate up.he came out to visit and we spent an arvo trying to work out what was happening,I trusted my mate,hes been breeding for longer then i have....
    We couldnt figure the problem out,"UNTILL" i happened to use up the last bit of chick starter to feed the chicks.He told me off for using it With the hens.I explained it wasnt normal thing just greedy hens pinching chicks food....

Anyways I stopped it.within a week it had stopped again and the flock went back to being normal and healthy again..Apparently feeding chick starter is enough to start coccidiosis off again in Chooks that have been given anti coccidiosis in their diet when they were chicks,,Apparently giving them a cure give them a weekness to re catch it later....

Needless to say I dont use starters anymore and if i do only use of babies,with out natural mothers..eg incubater hatched chicks....
    Raising day old chicks from an incubator is a difficult job finding small sizes healthy feed for them, untill they can go outside safely and forrage..

My chooks live in a open ranging system here, and when with mother they can more then happily survive without commercial feeds, but day or two olds dont have the nessesary knowledge to free range feed,but after expermenting in those important first few days/weeks,i am able to remove chick starter from my shopping list,

Needless to say, that my one and only Coccidiosis plague,started and finished in less then a fortnight.and never had a repeat since...

In my opinion (some) manufactured feeds is to be avoided unless nessasary tokeep alive......
    Ive bread hundreds of chooks over the years and have never had the problem again,

Terence

5. Loris

Loris Junior Member

If it is any help, I feel my new babies on rolled oats that I whizz in the food processor for them and mum can teach them to scratch and eat them. Move onto unwhizzed rolled oats and then onto larger stuff but by then they are chasing bugs anyway.

6. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Coccidiosis

When I let my chooks free range I never had a problem.

Lock them up,
    then I got Coccidiosis

7. macree

macree Junior Member

It's my understanding that the coccidiosis 'bug' only breeds in wet conditions, that there are a number of different viruses in chooks that look the same as coccidiosis and the only way of confirming is through an autopsy and that you can buy 'stuff' from the vet to put in their water to treat them if they have it. Old timers used to use condies crystals (sp?) but I think they took it off the market.

Cheers

Ree

8. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

I don't know if he was referring to coccidiosis or not, but Geoff Lawton recomments garlic in the chickens' water to keep their insides healthy.

9. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Condies Crystals

Condies Crystals are (i think) Potassium Permanganate
    You may be able to get some from the chemist or from a winemaking supply company