What's on in Girralong

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by helenlee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

They just made a barbecue out of an old Soviet mine :)
    They had to use explosives to cut it in half.
    It's pretty awesome :)

2. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

All these people want is more. Here is a bit of a description in the review of this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FVVXZ5WY8K2SXVVV2F8

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm here between Kevin's too! Gotta go - he's back on in 10….

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Is that man sex on a stick or what???
    YUM :)

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

OK - the Lou update is going to have to wait until tomorrow. I'm done in.
    Short version is she's fine thank you :)

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The thinking woman's sex on a stick. I thought of Baz when I saw the gasifier. Love the copper roof. I so have to make my own place one day so I can make copper roof shingles from hot water systems.

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

He's just too yummy for words :) And Wills pretty sexy too ... he has such a great attitude :) :)

The gasifier was mad :) I thought of Rob. Hi Rob!!! Hope it's absolutely awesome out there babe:) sigh. I miss having him to run stuff like that past :(
    The scissors lift, on the other hand, was my nightmare. I felt absolutely sick & was holding on to the couch (yes literally!) when he had it fully extended in the junk yard.

That copper was SO exquisite! I would have had it inside on the walls. It was divine. Did you see the hand made glass he did for his first shed? It was simply stunning! I'd love to make glass - but I'd need a bloke to help me do stuff like that - I'm scared of things that heat up to those temperatures! I'd love to learn to weld too. That would be so handy.

I've always wanted to build my own house. sigh. I need someone who wants a crazy hippy lady with too many dogs & spoilt cows to want to build it with me :) I'm too worn out to do it on my own now. I wish I'd shot the last couple of dickhead blokes I've lived with, conserved all that energy, & done it on my own. sigh again. I really would have loved to build a green, solar passive house - it's been my dream for a long time.

Did you see the fish candelabra last week? I was thinking of mouse when they did that & wondering if it was possible for anything to be more offensive to vegetarians! Although those penguin burners they used to use back in the day ... I can't remember where or for what ... I'll have to google it ... but they probably topped the candelabras in the offensive stakes!

Should I mention the toothpaste? Perhaps not. I think I'd have stopped short of the urea ... the cuttlefish bone would have been enough on its own I'm sure. I'll be sticking to Vicco! :)

Have you seen some of the places he's featured with sod roofs? Or the ones that were 3 parts buried underground? I've never really been wild on them before - less enthusiastic about the sod roof than the earth-ship type idea ... but seeing some built has turned my thinking. The 3 parts buried would be the easiest way to achieve awesome thermal effectiveness wouldn't it? I reckon I could live with that - so long as it had a LOT of light inside - & there have been some great ideas on the show about getting light into the house. One was some groovy new reflective thingy on the roof. It was a first for the guy who designed it & it worked a treat :)

I wonder if you can get all the design ideas in one book?

8. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Spellbound Lou: update

Now. The promised cow update. Not sure how much you want to know songbird? I've been meaning to get back on here & update, but I was just so exhausted & depressed about the whole cow situation I guess I avoided it. I think I mentioned at the beginning of the Lou thread that I had lost a cow to mastitis several months before Lou got sick - a very beautiful, valuable, registered jersey who was only a couple of months off calving with a jersey heifer. I euthanised her after months of round the clock treatment & a huge vet bill that left me broken hearted & exhausted physically mentally & emotionally. So when Lou presented with mastitis & such a high temperature I was sure I was going down that road again. It was an ordeal I wasn't prepared to face, & when things turned around for the better all I wanted to do was put it out of my mind for a while. Sorry about that to anyone who was wondering ...
    I could write a big rave about it - including a heap of detail about why dairy cows are such fragile critters & why we should all be super grateful for any dairy products, let alone organic ones, & why if people had to care for & milk their own cow, there'd be a lot fewer people eating dairy I promise you!
    But I'm guessing you guys just want to know she's OK & be spared the rave: :)
    Well yes, she's OK. In fact, she's good :)
    I had a hell of a time with her for a while. I hate having to give animal injections & she was having intramuscular & i.v injections of antibiotics/pain relief/anti-inflammatory drugs every day plus oxytocin- a drug that causes a let-down of milk reflex in mammals (as well as doing other things). It was horrible for Lou & for me. I dumped the milk I hand milked during the withholding period (while she was begin treated with antibiotics etc) & then after the withholding period was over I bottled & froze the milk for the dogs for a couple of weeks ... I'm very "Catweazle" about some things & I always give any withholding periods much longer than that manufacturer indicates :) Her big calf was getting as much milk as he needed - I left him with her to keep her other 3 quarters empty.
    In the end my hands just gave up. My arthritis was too sore to be milking 4 times a day every day, plus hours of massaging her udder. I woke up with numb hands every day towards the end of it all. And I was tired, & cranky, & totally over everything by that point. And Lou still wouldn't "let-down" (her milk) for me - making the situation impossible & dangerous (the danger being the mastitis was never going to clear) Some cows like to be miked by their human "calf", but she is a cow that lovesher real calves much more than she loves me & she views me as a horrible milk-stealing calf-hater :) In normal circumstances - when not dealing with mastitis - I lock her up away from her calf overnight (just in another paddock - they can still stand next to one another on opposite sides of the fence. If the calf was smarter - or hungrier - he'd learn to nurse through the fence :) ) & milk in the morning. Even then, I only get about 6 to 8 litres! She just gives me the excess that she absolutely can't hold up, & when I've got that she switches off the tap & the rest is saved for her calf - which although rolling fat & happy, is always standing somewhere nearby bawling its head off about how dreadfully cruel I am & how terrible the whole situation is. sigh.
    Anyway the best & easiest solution was to go get another calf - a new born (2 days old - calves have to have colostrum from their mother - or another freshly calved cow - or they will die). So I went out to a dairy farm about an hour & a half from here & got a 2 day old Aussie Red/Murray Grey cross bull calf & brought him home & got him sucking on the affected quarter - which by this time was much better & giving milk that looked like milk again & she was through with all her antibiotic etc treatments. It worked well. I still had to bring Lou up to the yard & supervise the baby calf nursing 4 times a day for quite a while, because he was so little & the other calf was a weaner sized steer, & the new calf wouldn't have gotten his fair share otherwise. But at least Lou was letting down for him & he was keeping the affected quarter empty & the milk cycling through it without me having to milk her - which was the whole point of the exercise.
    I went out to get some photos of them yesterday afternoon, but it was drizzling & Lou & the calves weren't co-operating, so I'll (try &) post an older photo I took of the 3 of them. Wish me luck with the stupid photo posting ... :/

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Lou, Big Red & Little Red

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

11. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The mothers club (sans Lou!) checking out Little Red on his first day home :)
    Lou knew who'd be looking after him I think ... she was off sulking :)

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

View attachment 2286

"Just do your work. And if the world needs your work it will come and get you. And if it doesn't, do your work anyway. You can have fantasies about having control over the world, but I know I can barely control my kitchen sink. That is the grace I'm given. Because when one can control things, one is limited to one's own vision." — Kiki Smith

I just stumbled across this!
    How Awesome!
    I SO needed to read this right now!
    Thank you synchronicity :)
    :) :) :)

13. Terra

Terra Moderator

Thanks for the update on the Cows Helen I loved the bit you wrote ( She views me as a horrible milk-stealing calf-hater ) brought back memories you can see it in their eyes .

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It's hilarious & utterly depressing at the same time. I mean this cow is queen of the joint - nothing is too good for her, I knock myself out making sure she has great pasture, the right food, the right routine, clean fresh cool water & that she is never too hot or too cold or too any bloody thing, & all she gives me is that snooty glare when I dare to milk her. I wish I could speak cow so I could give her a piece of my mind & tell her all about how the stupid bleeding calf isn't providing her pasture or grain or supplements or vet treatments or giving her the life of Riley where she gets to keep her bloody calf for as long as she wants in the first place! I wish I could point out to her the reality of the lives of cows on commercial dairies. Sigh. No such luck. I just have to content myself with telling her what an old bit@ch she is every now & again - but even then, I know she knows I don't mean it & I actually love her to bits :) She's such a great cow - dead quiet, lovely udder & 4 good sized teats that you can get a hold of to hand milk, great tasting milk, she's a great mum & a very good foster mum - fosters unsupervised in the paddock. Produces enough milk for 2 calves plus me & the dogs on only a moderate amount of grain. Can't fault her expect for the holding up for the calf bullish!t. And that makes me SO mad some days I want to murder her - but only for a minute :) ;) And she doesn't care when I do lose it anyway, she just gathers her little darlings to her side & rushes off down the far corner of the paddock with a scathing glance over her shoulder at the nasty calf hating lady as she goes. Ya gotta laugh :)

15. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    ah, thanks! good to hear the news. lovely pictures of green grass, fat and happy cows, the youngster, :) reminds me of living 14 yrs kitty corner from a dairy farm. the farm is still there now some 30yrs later, but the barn has fallen in and much of it looks overgrown, but there are still cows there. no idea who is running it, but probably for meat.

myself, too many times having had large animals try to run me over or what, but i would not get in a small enclosed area with a cow ever again. being chased through a field by a bull, cow pies, fresh, or not so fresh, squirting milk at the barn cats and watching them doing flips to jump into the air to catch the milk. i didn't ever actually help out there as i was too young at the time, but i still spent a lot of time there just watching and talking to the guy when he was milking.

had a horse go through some clotheslines once and it panicked and ran pulling the ropes off which managed to tangle in my arms. rope burns, walked around like frankenstien for weeks with my arms out front. luckily no permanent damage, but leery for sure. then was on a nice leisurely tromp with my family on our one outing riding horses because my sister wanted to go. the lead horse sees a snake and takes off. none of us are expert riders. some went through trees and brush, others like me just fell off like sacks of potatoes. yes, we laugh about it now. at the time it was like, "oh, holy shit!" *thunk* ow, ow, ow...

yes, i like my critters small, right now worms are about the right size. :)

still, i do like a cute cow on the right side of a fence, and me with a bunch or two of carrots or handfuls of apples.

i am glad that Lou is fine, that you've gotten past the bad spell.

16. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

:) :) :)
    Childhood memories of such things are very precious. It was a wonderful time, when kids could ramble around the district for the entire day, talk to the man up the road for hours on end, & come home when the sun went down. Life seemed slower & somehow so much better then :)
    The horse in the clothesline story sounds like it could have easily been a LOT worse. Oh well, you lived to tell the tale :)
    My daughter tied a horse to a lawn mower (!!!) once when she was about 7. She wanted to come inside for a drink or some such. Of course the horse moved, & the mower followed. The horse panicked & shied several yards, pulling himself & the mower into a tangle with an electric fence just behind him! Holy mother of god wasn't that a drama to sort out. I will never understand why she tied the reins to a lawn mower! Last I looked there were several full grown trees in that yard & a clothes line - lol - perhaps better she didn't go for the clothes line at least :) ;) I still bring that up every now & then & ask her about it ... she's 20 now ... & she just laughs & says she doesn't understand why she did it either. Kids :)
    Remind me one day to tell you the story about when I went down the paddock on foot to separate a stallion & a cow that he was menacing with nothing but a stock whip & ended up with me on top of an electrified barb wire fence screaming for help but the kids couldn't hear me because they had the stereo up so loud. I was lucky I survived that one. Ah yes :) Those were the days :) :) :)
    Thank you for the good wishes regarding Lou :) She's fine & dandy :) The bad spell - well it didn't end there - things aren't good, but life goes on & at least this go round Lou is still going round with it :) Always grateful for small mercies :)
    You had any more of that white stuff over there? :) ;)

17. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I was just looking at google maps to see where you are songbird ... my sister lived in Guelph for a few years ... I'm sure you'll say "Well Guelph is nowhere near me!" but when you're in Australia looking at google maps it looks sorta close enough :) ;) :)

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Yes - I'm stalking Kevin. I have watched every episode of Grand Designs at least twice and saw all of the shed story last year and was so excited when I saw he was doing another series with his shed. The man should be inducted into the permie hall of fame.

And if you ever find that completely amazing Kevin - like fella - ask him if he can cope with polyamory and if the answer is yes call me!

I've just been reminiscing on Facebook about how playgrounds were properly seriously dangerous when I was a kid. We were latchkey kids so my brother and I (my sister was more sensible and stayed home and played with Barbie dolls) would dump our bags and head out into the world and see what we could get up to. Mostly it was the playground a few blocks away that had a slippery slide made of metal that would scorch the hairs on the back of your legs as you slid down in and a see-saw that was so heavy that if your brother jumped off you'd go flying down and smack so hard you could break a tail bone. An monkey bars that you could fall off and break your arms. Sometimes we'd drag a kayak each down to the river and head out for a few hours and try to spear stingrays with sharpened sticks.

As the sun went down Mum would lean out over the verandah and holler our names so loud you could hear her for miles and we knew it was time to come home.

There's no way I'd let my kids out to do any of that stuff now!

19. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Lately I've been thinking I should just get over the dim hope of ever finding a great bloke & change teams :) After all - how many single great blokes are there out there? And how many single great women? Makes sense huh? :) Maybe you & *I* should just get together - cut out the middle man :) :) :)

Yes ... it's amazing any of us lived. I grew up on the Mary River & we spent most of our waking hours not spent at school down there. Swimming, borrowing fisherman's dingies, walking half a mile up the "bat hole" which was an enormous storm water drain (!!!) that came out on the river not far from out house. We had slug guns & real bows & arrows - the slug gun & bows & arrows belonged to my older brother, who had left for the army, so we were minding them for him :) ;) My father had a circular bench saw at the house & the neighbours rang my mother at work once to tell her my older brother had it on & they were worried sick. That was the same brother who burnt one wall of the kitchen when the wind blew the curtains into the gas flame on the stove. He was making "Uncle Albert" balloons we used to call them (hydrogen balloons) after school.
    How none of us were killed I have no idea.
    At the same time I sometimes wonder if we've done our children a disservice by protecting them so much.
    As in all things, it's hard to find the right balance :)

Edited to add: There were crocodiles in the river when I was little. I remember being dragged home when I was about 4 & given a hiding for being down the river bank. Next day I was caught down there again. My mother was incredulous. "What were you doing down here when you just got a belting yesterday, & I told you there were crocodiles down here?"
    "If there are crocodiles, down here, I want to see what they look like" was the wide eyed, innocent response :)
    Honestly, how can you tell a kid there's crocodiles there & not expect them to want to find one??? :)

20. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    you can find our corner of the world exactly 2 miles due east of Brant, MI, USoA.

i've driven through/around Guelph several times on the way to/from Toronto and while visiting a friend who lived there. if things had gone better perhaps i'd be living there now. "only if" is a phrase that you can rewrite whole futures with. two words.

Brant is a cross road village with a grocery store, a bar, a church, the township hall and a few dozen houses along the road. i used to walk there once in a while, but the dogs along the road now are mean and the owners deserve a swift kick in the hindend, but that's just me...

the white stuff comes and goes. -8F tonight's forecast with winds so perhaps -25F wind-chill. not too bad... blowing snow and stuff like that tomorrow. nothing i've not seen before, up north i used to walk for hours in the blizzards, biggest hazard was the snow plows, now i've got a nice fat book to read and nowhere to go so it's all good. :) i've softened up in my older age...