What's on in Girralong

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by helenlee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I forgot to say thanks for asking :)
    It feels very lonely sometimes when you're struggling with this stuff & everyone else thinks you're nuts for living like you do anyway. It's nice to know someone is thinking of you :) Thank you :)

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

So how much do you give & how do you give it?

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

Im feeling your pain sorry been flat out in the grain truck didn't switch on last night .

Ok out of Pats Cow book Black Mastitis 20cc intramuscular (injectable vit c) 3 x a day as well as the usual tablespoon of dolomite and powdered vit c in the feed until improvement.

Quick discussion with Mrs T from what we can remember with Gypsy (our cow) we used 2 x 50ml bottles over a couple of days

Its not guaranteed of course but weve brought 5 animals back from the grave with vit c injections so worth a shot and helped a few less sick ones as well .

Rob

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thanks for looking that up Rob :)
    My vet here doesn't "believe" in giving injectable vit c. roll eyes.
    I'll have to try & get it online, or get someone to post it to me.
    Lou is doing better :) The hardness has reduced in size to an area of about the size of a kids football (not a rugby ball - a kids size ball). I got oxytocin from the vet & I am finally able to get her to let down & I am now getting somewhere with it. Got about 1.4 litres from the bad quarter this morning & then smaller amounts at lunch time & tonight. Last teat infusion is in tonight so I am going to enjoy sleeping through for the last time. Tomorrow night I'll start the 2.00 am milkings again - groan.
    I'd like to have the vit c on hand - it's supposed to be good for snake bite too.
    All the cows get dolomite sulphur & copper in their feed every day ... I've stopped the seaweed meal lately.

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i'm glad to hear things are improving, i may not say much, but i do read along and hope the best for you and Lou.

6. Terra

Terra Moderator

Sounds like shes improving , we get the vit c at animal feed stores / supply . Good to have on hand yes vets will say that and fair enough , it doesn't replace their treatments . We only have one vet that will handle big animals they are difficult and can be dangerous when in pain , so its not surprising that some avoid them , Have friends up the far west they are 5hrs from a vet and vit c is really their only option for saving critters with first aid .

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thanks for that Terra. I replied this morning ... the aether net must have swallowed it up :)
    I'll try Horseland - the rural feed stores here don't carry many drugs. They are almost exclusively a vet line over here.
    She's definitely out of the woods & is improving every day - which is a relief - because I'm pooped :)

8. Terra

Terra Moderator

I bet your pooped , big contract its not like injecting with antibiotics and waiting for them to get better we have to get the muck out , the cows don't understand , there is pain involved they don't understand why , this affects the relationship , and on and on it goes every day . So then we have to rebuild the whole process of having a calm happy milking cow .
    get well soon Lou.
    Rob

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Glad to hear things are on the mend.

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thank you!!! Thank you for taking the time to write that. It is such a wonderful feeling when someone understands!
    Yes - it's been exhausting. And unfortunately the very much needed rain came just as this started so I'm sloshing around in mud & cow poop every time I have to go down there - which is adding to my woes.
    I didn't go down & milk during the night last night. I feel I should have, but I'm just whacked. My hands were completely numb when I woke up yesterday morning & again this morning. I have no idea how people used to milk a lot of cows by hand, every day back in the good old days!
    The oxytocin is saving the day here. Without it I would have been up the proverbial creek.
    I'm going in to town to the dentist again today so I'll see if I can get the vit c & some other alternative therapy thing that was recommended - oil of oregano I think it was ... I already have the organic coconut oil.
    Thanks again :)
    I hope everything in your world is sunny :)

11. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thanks eco :)
    She certainly is a whole lot better than she was. Temp is down to normal - it was alarmingly high when this started. And I am getting some milk out of that quarter - yesterday it was 1300 ml morning, 800 ml lunch time & 800 ml in the evening - which is a huge improvement on just a few globs of thick yellow crud. She seems well enough in herself - she's lost a bit of weight & looks a little depressed - but given how I thought this was going to turn out (that she would die - after a huge amount of effort & a huge vet bill!) that;s not so bad :)
    Thanks for the kind thoughts :)
    (((hugs)))

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hello????

Did I miss something ?
    Has everyone stormed off to eat the 85 rich people & I wasn't invited ???
    Where IS everyone?
    Its hot as hell outside - you can't possibly all be out working can you???
    And who would go to town in this weather?
    Hm.
    No answer was the stern reply.

13. Terra

Terra Moderator

Noticed its warming up on the east side we had our share last week , not bad here today about 25celcius only had to work 5hrs and finished the job and got a cheque , so that will keep the wolf from the door for awhile.

Whats your seasons like there we get usefull rain from mid May to mid October usually , lately its been cutting off 2 weeks early , so the summer mths require plenty of watering.

After tomorrow I can catch up a bit on links and video ect our allowance disappeared into somewhere and pictures ect take forever to load , so ive been around just a bit quiet .

Do rich people taste ok , this subject got me thinking I don't know any wealthy people that I actually like ive worked for a few and was glad to get finished and go .

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It rains here Jan Feb March & then keeps falling steadily until September ... then picks up through Oct Nov Dec.
    Hottest day this month was 32 with an average of 29.2.
    Those temps are for Bowraville & I'm 30 kms west of Bowra - right at the top of the Nambucca Valley. Unfortunately I don't have a weather station here - I've asked Santa for one for about the last 20 years but he must be out of them - so I'm not sure if the temps are identical, but they're in the ball park.
    I have no idea how rich people taste :) But I'm never easy around them either. Not sure what that's about.

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It's 8:30 pm and the thermometer next to me says it is still 32 degrees indoors. And sticky. It's too hot to do anything much even at this time of the day.

16. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Oh good grief! That is too hot! Can you leave the doors & windows open or do you have mosses/midges?

17. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i was waiting for an update on Lou and then it all fell off the radar. :)

isn't it amazing that 85 people can control that much gunk? would you
    want it? i'd have no trouble with it myself. like Warren, i don't think it
    would change my life that much in how i felt about myself, what it
    would change is that i'd certainly be owning more land and doing
    permie stuff on it. i don't know if it would do much good, but to set
    up permie places for 1/85th of 3.5 billion people sounds like a fun
    goal for a person if they needed one.

perhaps one will read this and do something? i can dream right?

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Yes - how is your cow after all that worry?

I had all the windows open and the fans on. A little storm came over and cooled everything down quickly. Looks like we may get another tonight.

19. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hang on - I just have to watch Kevin :)
    Then an update :)

20. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hang on ... now I just have to watch the other Kevin show ... & they're about to blow something (else!) up :) :) :)