what veg like shade?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by knighter, Jan 28, 2011.

1. knighter

knighter Junior Member

I've got a fare bit of space to grow my vegies at the back of my rented house, in the summers there seems to be sun on the space all day about 8ish hours but i've been told and i can see for myself that in the winter month the sun will be blocked out by our big beautiful trees.i'm dont think the sun will be completly blocked out but most it will be ,what vegies do well with little sun as i'm still eager to grow,the soil in our space is really good, i live in north nsw sub tropics.
    Thanks
    Knighter

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Nothing.

3. knighter

knighter Junior Member

not even ginger or any herbs or nothin just nothing hurhurhur

4. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

Don't despair !

My gardens full of trees and I've found there are loads of things I can grow under them as long as there's a bit of light. Lettuce and the cabbage family and Swiss chard do OK if they have enough to feed on and aren't too close to the tree roots. Some varieties of beans will do well.

Soft fruit is fantastic under trees, my best raspberry patch is about two metres away on the north side of a young oak tree and I've loads of blackcurrants producing well under fruit trees. Strawberries need shade so they're fine dotted around the drip line of trees.

[​IMG]

It depends on the condition of the soil and how close the trees are together but if there are patches in your garden where something is growing, then you can substitute that something for plants you want.

5. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

Mushrooms and ferns!

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    I agree light is more important that shade-free. The tricky thing is finding plants that will tolerate summer sun and no winter sun. I grow parsley with no direct sun at all and it does really well. Many other herbs will be ok like this too - fennel, mint...

I grow lettuces in full shade too, but they have light, and it's summer.

What's your climate?

7. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

I grow herbs like Melissa and mint under this this Shaking Aspen and I keep a lot of my cuttings under it because it protects them from the hot sun.

[​IMG]

On the other (west side) there are Chives, Amaranthus and Coriander still perfectly edible in late autumn growing under the Aspen tree.

[​IMG]

If you get sun in the garden in mid summer - there's loads of fast-growing summer veg you could plant.

Do you have any photographs of the plot ?

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Speaking of mushrooms... truffles! Though i realise that idea is a bit far fetched.

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Actually i've grown tomatoes well in shady areas. They seem to put out a more bountiful crop that way.

10. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Many salad plants and herbs like parsley, Melissa, lettuces, Asian greens cope with some shade.
    Passionfruit
    Asparagus will cope with some shade
    Rhubarb with a little.

11. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

When you say 'shade', do you mean heavy, dense shade (practically need a flashlight), dappled shade, off-and-on shade, shade with reflected light... ?

Peas (esp bush types), just about all the salad greens, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts. And I've heard potatoes and bush beans, but never tried them. Lemon balm.

Sue

12. knighter

knighter Junior Member

Thanks all

i'll try and explain, view from house looking at garden the width is about 10m by 15m on the left hand side there is a bank that i've been improving the soil for some time now, the shade comes from the trees on the right side of the garden one iron bark one massive palm and i'm not sure what the other one is at the moment there about 25ft ish tall the suns trajectory is great as its summer and the bank gets alot of sun 8ish hours but come winter the sun will be behind the trees, i'm sure a little sun will reach the bank and light deffinatly will but not for hours. Its not dark flash light shade but shaded by big trees the bank is open and there is nothing either side of the trees so it is light but not direct, am i making any sense. we are in sub tropics.
    Thanks for helping
    knighter

13. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

14. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    I've been growing garlic and potatoes in a very shaded area and have seen figs grow in same as well.

15. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

My cucumbers, capsicum, lettuces, stevia,and tomatoes all seem to do well in a fair bit of shade (a couple of hours of morning sun only)
    Sub tropics
    I will be putting my mint, ginger and oregano in the shady bits too.