What to plant now in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by bloodychooks, Apr 20, 2007.

1. bloodychooks

bloodychooks Junior Member

I want to get a vegie patch up and running and have no idea what to plant!

FYI We are prone to frosts too.

2. seussrules

seussrules Junior Member

Hello Bloodychooks

I'm in Melbourne with a patch that gets decent, but not full, sun. I have recently planted coriander, asian greens (tatsoi, choy sum), rainbow chard, broccoli, kale, bloomsdale spinach, and mini cauliflowers. It's a good time for quick growing lettuces now, too (they like the autumnal conditions, but not the frost).

Cheers

Jo

3. sammiiz

sammiiz Junior Member

My gardening is pretty haphazard, i follow guidelines where i can, but in the end, i just grow what grows... :? :oops: I am far from anything like an expert.
    But my (albeit uneducated) two cents anyway.

At the moment, my vegie garden has carrots, garlic, onions, broad beans, cabbage (just dug up by chooks... grr), cauliflower (followed the cabbage...grrr), spinach, radicchio lettuce, some other lettuce (can't remember the name), rocket, coriander, silverbeet, parsley, basil, potatoes, chives, rosemary - all at varying degrees of 'just-in', 'in-a-while-ago', 'about-to-go-in'.
    Hopefully i'll get something decent out of that lot.

I just sowed a winter green manure down one strip too.

Your local nursery will know whats good to go in 'now' for your area, or you can have a squiz over a few fences, see what those around you have growing (if anything)...
    Green Harvest is always good for info like this.