What to do with 3 x 44 gallon drums

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by annette, Aug 28, 2011.

1. annette

annette Junior Member

While wandering around the bush yesterday I came across 3 x 44 gallon drums in pretty good nick that had been dumped. Being the recycler that I am I ran home, got the car and took them back to my place.

I'm thinking I will cut one of them in half and use both halves to grow potatoes. Another I may use as just a barrel for when I kill some chooks and ducks to dunk them in etc.

Has anyone any suggestions about what else I can use them for?

2. adrians

adrians Junior Member

one for making compost tea?

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Raised garden bed? (use crossed star pickets to sit half a drum on)
    Cut the top off, lie it on it's side and use it to store timber for the fire, to keep the rain off? Or as a kennel?
    Cut it in half the other way and make 2 small ponds.

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Are they plastic or metal? Do you know what's been in them?

5. annette

annette Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions....keep em comin..

Hi Pebble, they are metal and not sure what was in them. 2 of them have a strong smell (smells like kerosene but not so strong) and I thought I would put some detergent in and high pressure hose them and then leave them in the sun for a while before I use an angle grinder to cut at least one of them in half.

6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I saw a really good bbq done using half a barrel. It was chopped lengthwise and welded to posts so that the top was about waist height. It was yummy on a cold night. It could be made a bit lower too. I"d suggest the right height for sitting around.

I think dunking chooks and ducks in is not such a great use. Specially cause the water will make the barrel go rusty. but they are too big for that. Unless you were going to put htem all in at once.

I find its not necessary to dunk chooks at all for defeathering. And even for ducks, i find it only necessary after i've done what i can without hot water. The one time i tried to use hot water wiht a duck, i couldn't even get the water to penetrate to the skin. I don't find plucking ducks that difficult if you do it when they are hanging by their feet in a wire hanger.

There's a woman who paints lovely images on her barrels. I should get the link though. blue sky, green earth and a the rest is little naive figures doing something in the landscape.

7. TheDirtSurgeon

TheDirtSurgeon Junior Member

Yeah, angle grinder is ok. Don't ever cut up a barrel that had petroleum products or anything else flammable with a cutting torch. It could explode.

8. derekh

derekh Junior Member

I was going to suggest a Rocket Heater/Stove (https://www.rocketstoves.com/) but then saw that you are in Pine Rivers just down the road, it doesn't get cold enough here for a heater.

9. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

could make a rotisserie or spit out of them, they are not food grade so care might need to be taken in that area. and out in the weather they will rust away in time.

len

now north of gympie (again!)

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hi Len - have you got a new garden started at your new place?

11. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I use half of one as a 'fire pit'. I generally use the other one as a rusty ornament in various parts of the garden. Sometimes as a 'garden appreciation platform'. :D

Actually once I used it on it's side as extra shelter for some babies chooks I had in a dome.

The same one I used as a tool hold for shovels and the such. You could fill it up with sand, and a bit of old motor oil and use it to store your tools in, it cleans and stops them from rusting when eve you put them away in it.

12. gardenlen

g'day eco,

gotta build first only 1/2 way through buying land so far.

but gardens for sure just under 1.25 acres so plenty of fruit trees as well.

len

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Make a smoker in order to preserve food out of one or more, it's a high priority here in Salmon / Elk country. :D

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Sounds nice Len. Is it land that was going to be under the high tide mark if the dam went ahead?

15. gardenlen

no eco,

this is high best you can buy here land, north aspect app' 4% slope or less, grows good grass and we have view of hip range to the north.

be very difficult to get cut off from gympie by flood as well, mary river over to the west of the highway

len

16. annette

annette Junior Member

Gee thanks everyone. some great ideas for me to ponder on. I've changed my mind about using one for the chooks and ducks now. I will have to reread the thread on slaughtering animals when the time comes. I love the fire pit and smoker idea and all the others as well. thanks again.

Len I hope you enjoy up there around Gympie. Very nice and very glad Traveston Dam didn"t go ahead. You must post some photos when you get some time. It sounds like you picked a good spot.

cheers
    a

17. gardenlen

g'day annette,

hope you find plenty of used for the drums

yes the reprieve from the dam for now is a respite i think, i reckon it could be dusted off and go ahead, have heard they are still building a pipeline to traveston. coal exploration is also on the agenda for these areas.

yep some pic's in due course

len