What sort of chooks do you have?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Imarni, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Imarni

Imarni Junior Member

Just wondering what other people keep. I have some hybrids, brought long ago before I decided to get purebreds, 3 Cochins and a Cochin Rooster, 1 Silver laced Hamburg, she has one little chick at the moment. 3 Wyandottes a blue and a Silver laced and a Columbian Buff. Had 2 Barnevelders down to 1 now though. Am finding Cochins are a VERY broody bunch really, lovely gentle birds though.

2. geoff

geoff Junior Member

We've got a horde of bantams of all sorts of mixed heritage, a couple of isa browns, new hampshire and rhode island reds, a lot of light sussex and two dorkings. We did have barnevelders at one stage, they were great, and I'm thinking we'll get back into them again, though the dorkings were great meat birds.

3. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I breed silver grey dorkings and bantam blue australorps. I sometimes have barge plymouth rocks and rhode island reds roosters as meats birds, I get them as day olds from a local breeder as they don't want roosters. I have between 12 to 40 chooks at any one time depending on the season.

4. Imarni

Imarni Junior Member

Now I have no Barnies, my Ridgeback got rhough a small hole in the fence dug under another fence and killed it yesterday, bit devestated such good layers and lovely coloured eggs :(

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

This is probably a good thread to discuss the personailities of the respective breeds to compare notes.

I've got what i think are black astrolaubs - they have some bantum in them too apparently. They can't be pure breds because one of them is quite red. I find them flighty, untrusting, fairly aggressive about food. When i tried to catch them all once so we could clip their wings, the noise was like we might have been torturing them. I've for four chooks and one randy rooster. One is their mum. As yet she's the only one laying.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

My thoughts go out to you Imarni. Very sad to lose a good chook.

7. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

I did have two barnevelders three isa browns and six australorps and one australorp roster .Until the neighbours dogs got in now I am down to two isa's.

8. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I think if you can keep two different breeds in two different areas you should be able to keep a year round supply of eggs, because some birds all go into moult at the same time they stop laying, and sometimes all the birds go broody at once. The silver grey dorkings are a very friendly bird that I often pick up and pat which they quite enjoy and the roosters are not to nasty. My bantam blue australorps are a very stand off type of bird but are good layers and would be great for a small backyard. I sometimes have rhode island reds and barge plymouth rock roosters, both can be a bit jumpy and I never turn my back on the reds as they will jump at you.

9. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    We have Isa Browns at the moment but would love to replace them with Buff Orphingtons.
    Wouldnt mind having some bantams again too.

10. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

We have two Isa Browns, which are good layers and very friendly, though I've heard that's not generally true, and two wyandottes who are suspicious and one always seems to be broody and moody. We get 2-3 eggs a day and I'm not sure about the meat side of things as they are house chickens and not for the pot.

We are thinking about two more, as our leghorn chicks turned out to be roosters and had to go (ah suburbia). But not sure what breed we should get. Would like something friendly that are good layers. any suggestions?

11. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Befor we swapt the burbs for the bush we had silkies on account that they are less invassive with their scratching.Now we have 5 Isa Browns(Pure breds) and one thing I do like about them so far,as they haven't started laying, is that they don't seem timid and I can lead 'em round the block and back in the coop real easy.They will chase grasshoppers all day long also.All we have to do now is pick a good breed for meat that lay and hatch without too much complications,any thoughts would be great thanks.

Glenn.

12. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

Glenn,

Over the years I've interbred a real mix of different breeds of chickens mostly for eating so I tend to go for bigger breeds but we get plenty of eggs too. I've about 50 hens.

We change our cockerel most years and this lovely Brahma is the friendliest we ever had and not at all aggressive. Most of his hens were Marans for their lovely brown eggs and his daughters are really chunky and lay dark brown (But not chocolate coloured) eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our latest cockerel is huge and very orange ! He's a real mix probably with a lot of Buff Orpington and is extremely docile. A friend gave me him as an egg.

[​IMG]

He's provided us with an awful lot of lovely youngsters this year and I might be tempted to keep him another year.

[​IMG]

Our chickens are free-range and I shut them up at night but sometimes the fox takes them during the day. Once the land behind the chicken shed is properly fenced against foxes, I'd like to start breeding some unusual types and keep two different "families".

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Damn you HWH! You've done it again. I have to start saving for the trip to your place. It is SO beautiful.....

14. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

Thank you very much. :blush:

I like building nice things and I love gardening so the two tend to go together. Everything we make is very practical and there's no reason why permaculture can't be beautiful too. ;)

I must admit that one of the reasons I like this new cockerel we've got is that with all his offspring really liven up the garden with flashes of orange everywhere ! This winter it's been really colourful.

15. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Yes roosters are beautiful, even the most ordinary of them. Its sad to have to cull them.

I've just found a woman who has geese, lots of them so i am going to try to buy some from her. She's only getting started with the guinea fowl so I may not be able to have any of those but they are also very pretty.

16. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

HWH - your blog is an inspiration! I agree with Eco but may have to content myself with a virtual visit.... And I love your orange rooster - he's a beauty.

17. adrians

adrians Junior Member

we have mainly light sussex, they are white with black tail and around their neck, very nice we think.
    They seem to cope well with our climate and are expert flying bug catchers.. they will run full pelt, dodging left and right to get one. They lay ok, plus they are a heavy bird. THis morning, for the very first time, I harvested three light sussex hens and roosters that we have grown out from our own eggs.
    Though quite young the birds were a good weight and they had a good thick layer of fat on them.. very healthy! Though the job is not my favourite, they have had a good life, particularly the last month where they've all been helping me to clear my vegie garden jungle.. lots of bugs, worms and greens.