What I've done recently.

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by S.O.P, Nov 11, 2013.

1. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Jackfruit have finally germinated. Had to move them from the shade to sun so soil temperature is definitely involved. Hopefully a percentage of them haven't rotted:

[​IMG]

General update on the wicking beds. The Cauliflower/Broccoli one is slightly overstacked:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the Loofahs became ready:

[​IMG]

Bunyas are turning into Bunyas:

[​IMG]

Nursery is ever expanding. The empty pots are Bunyas awaiting tuber germination (see above):

[​IMG]

2. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

Looking Great :y: I really underestimated the need for a nursery when I first started out. Now it is on my essentials list (along with a fence for it to keep the ruddy dog out)

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

It's in the manual!

Can't find the exact quote that I'm thinking of but this is another one of Bill's for 2-5 acres:

Source: https://permaculturenews.org/2009/02/09/phases-of-abundance/

4. Australian Beekeeper

Yeah yeah but it didn't sound as exciting :p

I was wrong to not find it exciting!

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Another member of these forums, Void Genesis, recently built himself a new nursery/greenhouse. I don't know if he has ever linked photos to it but it's a nice little setup he wrangled using galvanised tubing (from memory).

Shelves, hothouse, shadehouse, watering and you are good to go. Anything off the ground on a table is dog-proof. Hothouse is reaching nursery levels, add in some bottom heat and misting and you are in cutting heaven.

6. grantvdm

grantvdm Junior Member

Metallurgist
    Great Stuff S.O.P.! I love reading your thread. How are you finding the air-pruning pots?

7. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

https://imgur.com/a/jMhDU - photos of root development

I haven't updated that album in a while but that was the 8L development. I was reasonably pleased with it but, for my tiny scale, 8L is far too expensive (as in the amount that gets used and the pots if I had to buy them) with the potting mix.

I bought the 1.5L airpruners new, and that hurt the wallet. I'm yet to plant any out yet so I will let you know how they developed. I've planted Jackfruit direct into the 8L ones and then pulled them out and the juvenile roots were as expected, pruned at the bottom and strong lateral growth. Most of the trees I plant are either 100mm or 150mm pots (4" and 6" and that's 0.9L and 1.5L) so I figured that would be the best balance of a young tree, good roots and potting mix amounts.

I do hope that the Jackfruit and Bunya turn out (bit worried I got to the Jackfruit too late - will try again next year) as they are both heavy bearers and I would rather have too much food, than not enough.

8. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

For you AB:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two closest Buckinghamias were replaced (one with a hoop pine and one with another Buckinghamia and the Macadamia got crushed by a falling branch off the Melaleuca). The Backhousia at the front was replaced with the Moringa and Lomandra:

[​IMG]

This is the area where the chickens are. You can see the trunk of the E.curtisii:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the photo I think I use as the beginning of the album. You can see near the tank I've recently planted the Riberry as the neighbour took out all their trees at that point and we could see directly into their yard. Can't see the Acacia there yet. The mulch does not yet join on the street trees up the side street where you parked:

[​IMG]

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Tonight's harvest. All from one wicking bed bar the Nasturtium (other wicking bed), Sweet Potato tips (green manure wicking bed) and the Moringa (southern side dirt garden).

[​IMG]

From top left to bottom right:

Moringa, Warrigal Greens, Brazilian Spinach, Garlic Chives
    Kale, Silverbeet x 2, Tatsoi, Brocollini, Nasturtium, Sweet Potato tips/leaves

4-6 wicking beds, on rotation, could surely minimally feed a person every day. I've taken minimal off one bed. If I had more sun, I'd have more growth too. Curiouser and curiouser, wonder if it's possible... You'd get thin though...

10. Australian Beekeeper

Nice greens :y:

What a change! Great to see where it all started, it has come such a long way. Crazy to think how quickly it happens when you can see the change as pictures on a page. I see you did that great looking outdoor patio/deck too. Looks like a great addition.

that curtisii had some size. Much more than I thought they ever got.

11. grantvdm

grantvdm Junior Member

Metallurgist
  12. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Yep, one of the biggest I've seen. Shame, really.

13. LeeWilde

LeeWilde Junior Member

I don't think I've commented here before but I just want to tell you how much I like this thread! I catch up on it whenever I come here and love the pictures and the progress reports. Your nursery has me envious too. i need to do something about an organised propagation space here.

That's a decent harvest, especially from one bed with not-much-sunshine. Probably better than I could get out of my huge rambling garden at the moment, actually, if you take into account your diversity.

14. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Well thank you Lee.

I have often thought of giving up, like most of the people/blogs/sites I used to follow and just concentrate on what needs to be done for myself.

But then I think of how much I've gained from those original people sharing and how disappointed I was when they stopped so I do the next best thing from nothing and that's allow some photos to keep it going. I'm glad you are getting something from it and cheers for letting me know.

15. Australian Beekeeper

Sharing in this way, you will alway help a lot more people than you realise. I often get vital info from forums that I never even join. It is great that you share and continue to do so. I hope to do the same into the future.

16. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

I'm not a quarter devoted as I used to be, and not nearly as good as the people not posting any more (say Purplepear for example) but I will say this to people reading...

..I'll try and answer any question you ask.

But it does worry me, that it becomes with age, less and less sharing/doing as you tire. Fingers crossed.

And true that on the forums, the internet is devoted to some amazing things and niche forums continue to blow my mind. That and Youtube make people empowered to get something done themselves more than ever.

17. Australian Beekeeper

How is it going over your way? So propagating tomatillo and Maringa seed... I know it is best to do when it is warm but wondered if you had any tips for propagating now and getting a head start on spring?

18. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Mr Impatient!

Heat, warmth, any of those things. Even if it's inside but as soon as they germinate, out into the sun.

Did the truncheons die? I could only assume they, if they make it, would grow mid-Spring.

19. Australian Beekeeper

That is me :) I can hold out a little longer but not too long!

Truncheons are still alive but are not doing anything. We shall see in spring!

20. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Been on holiday, came back to a flowering (in places) green manure wicking bed so I harvested the tops, set them aside, dug up some Asparagus plants and put them in with worm castings. Threw some castings over the top, laid the green manure tops back down and then a layer of mulch over the top to keep it in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a walk by shot of one part of the nursery. Mostly baby Lomandra around the place at the moment.

[​IMG]