What is the best way to go about getting a Diploma in Applied Permaculture?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by LillyZ, Feb 2, 2013.

1. LillyZ

LillyZ New Member

I have been practicing Permaculture since 2010 following my first PDC. I have been converting 3.2 acres of chemical monoculture GMO into a thriving Permaculture property with swales, food forest and natural buildings in northern Thailand. I was told I could get a Diploma following 2 years of practical experience from the PRI at Zaytuna Farm. Previously I could find information regarding this on their website, but now no longer. Does anyone know if this is still an option? Anyone have any information on obtaining a diploma based on 2 years of experience in the field? Thanks!

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I understand it is no longer an option since Bill and Lisa did a dummy spit a couple of years ago and no longer run the college effectively. That may be a bit harsh but something of the situation as I see it.
    If you want credentials in permaculture you can start by establishing your own. You do this by developing your site into a model for others to look at and they say you are doing it great then you draw up your own diploma on a word document and print off a copy for your wall or cv. Or if you can not get the demo site working then write a book.

You could contact Robyn Francis as she has devised a great system for obtaining accredited qualifications in permaculture.Or you can get recognition from Craig here at PRI and when people see the you are PRI accredited they will no longer need to see the diploma.

For me, doing (living) permaculture is so much more important than getting th paperwork sorted.

3. cdoug_e

cdoug_e Junior Member

As I know it, many people are certifying diploma's these days in different parts of the world. I am a Diploma in training mentor through the organization permaculture.org of Scott Pittman and company. I was certified in education and Toby Hemingway is apart of the overall certification process. Its North American based but I am a itinerant permaculture teacher ad having many students throughout the world. By the end of the year i should be in Asia teaching and doing design and implementation work. I also work in Europe quite a bit. I could possibly be you Diploma mentor with the folks from Permaculture.org being the certifiers. https://www.permaculture.org/nm/index.php/site/professional_practise_pages

The catch is that we have to meet at some point. Also there is Gaia University, there is a place in Chile El Manzano with Grifen Hope of NZ. There is the British Association of Permaculture, I do believe the French have a process as well. I know the Portuguese are working on it through the British to have their own system.

So many have their perspective on who is officially allowed to initiate these things. So I am just offering that there are many options and that all have their process and prices. I am glad they are sprouting up all over the place as I know getting mine was a great learning process for me. So find a mentor, a certifying board, get ready to document and create, and voila. Ciao

Doug- treeyopermaculture (at) gmail.com

4. macey

macey Junior Member

There is accredited permaculture training at cert 2 cert 3 cert 4 and diploma available in Aus. if you are after a piece of paper that is recognised by mainstream education it is the same type of qualification as any TAFE course offers. As Mark has said Robyn offers this course and is the assessor in NSW the course is also offered in Melbourne at Eltham college. I have asked before and credits can be given for practical and design work already completed but there are a number of compulsory subjects that would need to be taken.

Permaculture subjects are available as electives as part of a masters degree in sustainability or something similar at RMIT I think....
    As far as I know that is about it for courses 'accredited' through mainstream education systems.

However I don't think this is what you are asking.... the diploma from the institute gained through demonstration of permaculture work and a recommendation letter, although nice to have wasn't actually any kind of recognised qualification outside of the Permaculture world and as others have said having strong demonstrable skills are equally as impressive.

It really depends on what it is you hope to gain from having a diploma etc. I guess if you are looking to demonstrate having a recognised qualification to anyone outside of the Permaculture world then most of the 'diplomas' available aren't really worth the paper they are written on (like a PDC in reality). If you're aim is to demonstrate skills and learning to those who already have some knowledge of Permaculture then the PRI recognition or diplomas offered by various permaculture teachers are valuable maybe?