what is the best manure?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by d_donahoo, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

No offence taken Tezza :D . I use chemical wormers on all new arrivals to my property, so am accutely aware of the caution folks need to pay to the subject of contaminants in manure.

Tam

2. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Poos

I don't know much about this subject but a friend who has a horse put horse poo on her garden and her dog contracted tetnus, which the vet said was from the horse poo. So make sure animals or kids dont come in contact or adults for that matter. contamination is generally through cuts.

3. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

He's right Penny, the tetanus bug lives in the intestine of horses. It only becomes dangerous when entering the body through a puncture type wound.

I keep my whole family, including the animals up to date with their tetanus shots.

My uncle died from tetanus, so too did one of our best polo horses. I wouldn't wish is on anybody, especially as it's avoidable.

Tam

4. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

Hi,

Couldn't resist a thread about poo..... heard some interesting gossip from one of my microbiology profs (ask and ye shall recieve biofarmag)...chookie poo is naturally VERY high in ammonia, yes its the concentrated wee thing....high levels of Salmonalla, E. coli (and Streptococcus I think) result from the conditions the birds are kept in, (from a micro point of view, conventional ag/animal practices suck butt) so these things occur naturally, but are magnified by cultural practice.....so tonnes of battery derived chook poo are a real health hazard as biofarmag pointed out (as well as the EPA).

The reason that chook poo burns plants is that when it begins to break down it starts to gas off :lol: :lol: :lol: ammonia, and later other forms of volatile gasses :lol: :lol: :lol: that do much the same thing...... if the animals that were eating the stuff died, it could just as easily be nitrate poisoning as bacterial infection. Same with the bloody noses in humans (yep, nitrate/nitrite poisoning can affect humans too)....black spots on the toms, either burning or spores of a plant pathogen contracted from the dust....( for his sake I hope its burning).

butt :lol: :lol: (feeling a little childish today as you can probably tell) when raw chook poo is spread on the ground and left the gasses also act as a fumigant, killing pretty much all of the microbes in the ground and in the poo, sterilising the soil.....but after the gassing off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: good buggie numbers (actinomycetes for example) rocket up......some promising results were obtained using this process to kill soil pathogens such as Phytopthera, and pests like nematodes, note it pretty much it kills everything though..........also weed seeds to some extent, I haven't tried it personally but maybe covering a weed infested patch with chook poo would eradicate some of the more persistant weeds (whatever that word means to you), but the bare patch would have to be sown after...

Dealing with tonnes of the Chookie stuff requires caution (I mean its tonnes of poo right?)

Other poos :lol: don't have anywhere near the same levels of ammonia as chookie poo does, so they don't burn the plants and they're safer to work with....relative of course, its still poo...

Butt a note here, (he he) chook poo from a chook house won't have anything near the pathogen levels of battery poo, nor as frosty and tezza pointed out, the chemicals....can it be called dirty poo I wonder? I think the large volumes (tonnes) of this stuff should be handeled by professional composters, for safety reasons. Handling smaller stuff that comes from off farm, if you're worried, can be done safer with a face mask and gloves, till its composted well and then its gold! Or brown.

Thanks for the poo-diful afternoon :lol: :lol: Ichsani

5. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

And to think ..people say i talk a load of crap....

Thnx ichsani i feel better allready about your crappy story..

LETS HEAR IT FOR FREE RANGE CHOOKS?POULTRY

:p :p :p :p :p :p 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Tezza

6. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

:lol: Thanks Tezza :lol: