what is the best manure?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by d_donahoo, Aug 11, 2003.

1. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

so. i was talking to a collegue about the corner of a paddock in muckleford that is always full of cow manure. you can basically shovel it into a trailer and i'd ask the owner if it was ok, but i don't know which house is his and i haven't run into him/her - yet!
    i suggested it was good for conditioning the soil and our relatively newly aquired chooks would provide excellent nitrogen content (after being composted with a heap of other scavanged organic goodness).
    he said - 'you should just get pig manure. it is the best manure'...is it? has anyone done analysis of all the different manure types and categorised them. i'm guessing what comes out is often only as good as what goes in - so anything fed on lucerne will be heaps better that something trying to get by on what has been growing in recent drought effected paddocks.
    any personal favourites? or great combinations? - i have an uncle in woodend with a stable - is horse manure worth the trip? (about 40min drive)

cheers

2. Mont

Mont Junior Member

I'm not a real turdologist Dan but Jackie French reckons in 'Soil Food' in which she discusses pig, horse and other manures, that 'chook dung is perhaps the richest of all manures'.

3. Marcus Hamilton

Marcus Hamilton Junior Member

Organic Gardener had a recent article on this, I should hunt it out, but pigeon poop is the best, not very common though.

4. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

yes - pigeon poo. i have heard this, also that they poo 90 times a day! and that they are being used in some parts of australia to protect orchards from other birds that eat all the fruit...much of this is ancedotal. but i'll head for a recent issue of organic gardener and see if i can't find the article.

cheers

5. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi,

I read the article in Organic Gardener as well that Pidgeon poo is best, but how many ppl u know have pidgeons? I studied that pig poo is great as well and have compared it with other manures and it wins hands down(sorry dont have me college notes handy on me)! Again not that easy to source, the most readily available i can source is me own chook poo, which in itself is good as long as its well composted.(like all manures)

I well composted horse poo and still got weeds galore... plus horses get drenched a lot and use all sorts of anti-biotics these days.... i know i wont be using it anymore, studies are showing that it can create harmful pathogens in the soil and get into food!

Thats all from me.... i can chase up my notes and list comparisons if you like?

Cheers........Dave

Cheers Dave

6. Mont

Mont Junior Member

I got weeds galore from horse poo too, from a Sydney supplier who alleged it was not only organic but weed-free. Never again.

7. Jeff Nugent

Jeff Nugent Junior Member

In my opinion the best manure is the one you have. I suspect that organic humanure is the very best because of the great diets we eat, but getting enough ???
    I prefer to throw horse manure into the chicken\garden system simply because the chooks eat the seed. Horses digest about 20% and eat and crap heaps. Hence the saying "eats like a horse".
    Pig is good and cow is too. The closer the better, the more the merrier.

8. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

ah. good ol' humanure...when you questioned 'where to get it i had this strange image of the world's biggest rotaloo attached to a high rise apartment building in the city...with hundreds of toilets feeding it...probably a long way off...unless we start 'eating like a horse'.

good comments of horse manure too - i guess it all comes down to the processing of your manure - 'well rotted' tends to be the most used term...

can anyone perhaps give a little rant about the value or problems with dilute urine as a nitrogen fertiliser. i understand it is soluble...so therefore should not be used around water courses...how does it work?

9. Benn

Benn Junior Member

I remeber going to an info day on waste water at Southern Cross Uni (lismore) last year some time. They had a display showing appartment blocks in Europe (forget which country). The toilet was designed to separate ones and twos. Both of which were stored under the building and sold to agriculture. I think they had to let urine sit for two years ???
    Can't remeber details, but it is being done. Try tracking down SCU for more info...
    Cheers,
    Benn

10. Benn

Benn Junior Member

Hey, sorry. I am registered, just forgot to log in before posting that bit!!
    :p

11. Yoti

Yoti New Member

I just found this site today and I'm enjoying browsing. The big "poo" question comes up a lot in gardening. You can pick up a good fact sheet on poo if you visit:
    https://www.abc.net.au/local/perth/radio/gardpoo.htm
    it gives you a nice little run down with the N,P,K content of all the different kinds....domestic only, doesn't cover exotic stuff like zoo poo etc.

My husband and I are just in the planning stages of our sustainable lifestyle, so will be listening in on your chats with interest and will have lots of questions along the way.

Yoti

12. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

Hey! What about red wriggler worm castings, ah la watered down?
    Want to hear a worm story?
    Re the ordinary type garden worms - in ten months my barren piece of mining slag/desert has been transformed into a green paradise with worms as big as asps patrolling my vege garden. I kid you not!
    God bless you Bill Mollison for your magic mulch formulae
    Regards
    TriciaM

13. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

This one too

Tezza

14. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I use tons of horse poo, it's great stuff as it's free, I use the poo from our three horses which are organic, we use natural worming etc here.

I also use tons of poo from the race horse trainers next door, this is mowed into my grass areas and non food producing areas. It's a free resource which I would be silly to knock back.

I use the poo from here as a mulch around trees (covered with sugar cane mulch), developing garden beds, in the compost and the worm farm.

Race horses are fed high energy foods, grains, seeds etc, I often see whole seeds in it, if they gem, just pull them as they root inside the poo and it pulls quite easily.

All my chook poo ends up in the compost or worm farm, it's to hot to spread on trees.

15. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

The best form of organic matter is that you can get easily and cheaply. If you're near to chook farms, get chook poo. If you're near to stables, get horse poo. If you're near the zoo, get elephant poo. If your nearest piggery is 200-300km away, then don't give yourself the cost or the grief. Yes, chook poo tends to be higher in nitrogen. It also tends to be the highest disease risk. And anything, be it horse or cow, that eats in weedy paddocks is going to have weed seed in it's poo. That's why you need to compost it properly.

16. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Why is chook Poo so bad??????????????

Are we talking batterie hens or Totaly organic chooks .I wouldnt trust any poos really, without a bit of history on the stuff..Ever seen what horsey people give their horses.....(not aimed at you tam) i know a few horsey people,good or bad people, still use chemicals if the vet or someone tells them too.I personally Dont trust much from anywhere except my place ....Now im not a fussy person ,But with organics/Permaculture etc etc.I MAKE sure that im happy or i dont do it...no exceptions.....Too many whod give me shit if i stuffed up, or worse got pinged for chemicals when i STATE i use no.ZERO chemicals or additives....If it dont grow or survive without it i just dont grow/produce it.......Simple!!

Call me mad Call me for lunch I dont care.....

Tezza

17. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Why is chook Poo so bad??????????????

Are we talking batterie hens or Totaly organic chooks .I wouldnt trust any poos really, without a bit of history on the stuff..Ever seen what horsey people give their horses.....(not aimed at you tam) i know a few horsey people,good or bad people, still use chemicals if the vet or someone tells them too.I personally Dont trust much from anywhere except my place ....Now im not a fussy person ,But with organics/Permaculture etc etc.I MAKE sure that im happy or i dont do it...no exceptions.....Too many whod give me shit if i stuffed up, or worse got pinged for chemicals when i STATE i use no.ZERO chemicals or additives....If it dont grow or survive without it i just dont grow/produce it.......Simple!!

Call me mad,, Call me for lunch. I dont care.....

Tezza

18. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Tezza I totally agree about knowing the poos history !

we keep pigeons just to get poo :lol: we also use our goat poo and chook poo and we need more so we are thinking of getting more animals ........ bringing in poo is not worth the risk

we used to use a lot of horse poo before our old horse died but we kept him chemical free ......... we used to say he had retired to become a professional gardener :lol: :lol:

next doors have horses but I wont use it because they worm plus feed chemical additives

we also have composting toilet .......... we use that on our veggies but have to be wary if we have had visitors ( which fortunately doesnt happen often ) because if they take prescrition drugs it come through in the compost ........ we want a separate visitors toilet :oops:

aquaponics would seem to be a good solution to our lack of poo problem

frosty

19. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

Chook poo seems to grow fine salmonella and other nasty organisms. Why? Dunno. It just does. I'm sure a microbiologist could tell you why. What I can tell you is a few case-histories:

(a) Chook poo is available quite readily and cheaply in some areas. Chook producers can only store X-amount of the stuff on their properties, before they get in trouble with the EPA. So they'll offer it cheaply, eg. I've heard of it going for $30/tonne SPREAD on the paddock. End result, cattle and horses wolfing down mouthfuls of the stuff when they graze.....and DROPPING DEAD!

(b) Tomato grower I know.....had a neighbour spreading raw chookpoo on the paddock across the road/laneway from his crop.....wind blowing toward him. Result? Two pickers had to be taken to hospital, blood pouring from their noses. The dust that landed on the tomatoes burnt black spots onto them.

Why this doesn't happen with horse poo, dunno. I suspect the burning was from the ammonia in the stuff. Remember that birds do poos and weewees at the same time, so the poo is mixed with wee, unlike horse poo. The cattle and horses dying though, definitely bacterial.

20. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Tezza, me mate, this is a shit of thread! :lol: