What is eating my eggplant and tomatoes??

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Duckpond, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Duckpond

Duckpond Junior Member

I have been trying to groweggplant and tomatoes, and have had a few fruit. However something is eating them. I spray everything with Dipel to combat catapilers, and get very few outbreaks. I have found a small grub in the affected fruit, but do not know where it comes from or how to beat it. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. aren

aren New Member

Fruit fly?

Depending how many plants and how much time you have, you could try bagging the tomatoes/eggplants while they develop so that whatever bug is getting at them can't get in.

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

4. BigNev

BigNev New Member

i also have this problem but not as bad as the pic mine only seems to be on the bottom of my developing green tomatoes that starts as a small black spot then develops to what looks like a bug has eaten in to it it then makes it go mouldy i suppose you could say does any one have any ideas of what i could put on the tomatoes to keep them still developing well do you also think that stinkbugs could have something to do with it as we have them everywhere in the house we live in

i havent been able to eat any of the tomatoes yet which i am a bit bummed about :cry:

5. permup

permup Junior Member

I havn't had this particular problem, but have found a few solutions to fruit fly. Bagging has been good in the past but this year just hasn't worked for some reason. My best success this year is from spraying with Neem Oil and water. You have to spray every 2nd day but it doesn't take long and I've had great results.