What cheezes me off...

Discussion in 'General chat' started by milifestyle, Nov 20, 2009.

1. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Get it off your chest...

This is a good thread to complain about anything thats bugging you...

Please remember to argue the point... not the person.

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: What cheezes me off...

Windows wound up, 3 kids (under 10) in the back seat and 2 adults M/F in front seat... Couldn't tell you what they looked like as i couldn't see past the Cigarette smoke... :twisted:

No wonder asthma amongst kids has skyrocketed.

3. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

isnt there a law against that now?

4. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

For many, law is worth about as much as the paper its written on, even the ones designed to protect us...

5. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

that is a fact

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day

Re: Big "L" law

For millennia, humans have been introducing more complex, more voluminous, and more inane laws into society; the 'no smoking in cars with children present', is just another in a long, long line of legal folly. Making Law, prescribing it, enforcing it - it's all to do with business. Law's make money. Does anyone here seriously think that a Law is going to stop people from smoking in their cars while their children are present? Sure, the smack on the wrist fine might make them think about it a little, as their pokie (gambling), beer, and tobacco funds are eaten into. But at the end of the journey, if they smoke in the car, surely they smoke in the house, too. What next? Introduce a Law to enable random house inspections for smoking in front of the telly (television) while kids (children) are present?

No. No more Laws! More EDUCATION! Please, more education is what we all need.

Here's an excerpt from our local rag (newspaper) showcasing our local primary school's talented students:

Students have resources to be sustainability smart
    https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/new ... 83555.aspx

I wonder how many of the above kids 'allow' their parents to even smoke, let alone while they are in the car? 'Pestering' (read: educating) by my younger ones was one of the primary reasons why I gave up the 'evil weed' (tobacco).

Cheerio, Marko.

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Hi Mark,

I agree, Laws are Business. They are there to make money. I agree with the Law. I disagree with the penalty.

How would you suggest we protect Ourselves, Our families and our property without Law ?

There was an experiment done some time ago where fleas were put into a bottle. The lid was left off and it was timed how long it would take the fleas to jump out. All the fleas jumped out so quickly it was hardly worth timing it.

Another experiment was done where fleas were put in a bottle but a lid was placed over it. The fleas tried to jump out but kept hitting the lid, pretty soon they only jumped to within mm of the lid.

After some time the lid was taken off the bottle and the fleas stayed in the bottle. They continued jumping to within milimetres of the top of the bottle. They were that used to hitting their head on the lid they were trained to stay in the bottle...

Baby Elephants are tied up with a heavy rope when they are young. When they reach adult size they can be tied up with almost a piece of cotton because of there training...

In both examples, something was used to train these animals to act in a certain way (I don't necessarily agree with them but they are good examples). The restraints became law to them animals. The Law trained them to act in a certain way. Education, could also be called a Law, because we are tought to do something in a particular way.

In nature, animals create their own laws. The food chain is a Law within itself. Each animal above the next creates his own law.

8. ecodharmamark

G'day Eric

Just as an aside, have you ever read any of the links I have previously provided pertaining to alternative systems for organising society?

That is a very good question, and I am very glad that you asked.

The political ideology of Social Ecology, Libertarian Municipalism, provides you with an answer (indeed, the only one that I have been totally satisfied with in my lifetime) to the very question you ask. Communalism (otherwise known as Libertarian Municipalism) is the only rational system of organising society that can provide our communities with the freedom from authority (whether that 'authority be state-sanctioned, or administered by thugs) we crave. We could implement Communalism any time we wanted to in our local community, the only thing that stops us is our desire to live 'independently' of those around us. Our (human's) psyches have been 'conditioned', through 10,000-plus years of 'civilisation', to 'claim our own' patch of dirt - our 'property', and to defend it as if our very lives depended upon it. In this sense, we are nothing more than 'trained' animals, prepared to fight over a bit of something that we could never 'own' anyway, planet Earth. For graphic examples of this scenario, take a trip through Gaza sometime, or even just out into the peri-urban belt of any large city, where on any night of the week you will see people literally arming themselves in preparation of 'teaching those bastards next door a lesson'. Madness! Insane members of society that a supposed 'right' to individuality has created. We give up our innate nature of mutualism at our own peril.

Throughout human history there have been many isolated examples of where people have lived in harmony with both Earth, and with other members of the human species. Some of these Intentional Communities (ICs), or at least the politico-cultural structures that define them, continue to exist today. Of course people always want to know why these communities never flourish to become fully-fledged self-governing, autonomous (of the dominant political/cultural/economic paradigm) regions on a global scale. The answer is simple, and never alters - there is no profit to be made from a free, autonomous, self-governing society. Greed is the only reason why we do not today live in a state of utopia. Greed, expressed by the many, and enforced by the few. Greed, coupled with state-sanctioned Laws, and enforced by threats to injure, is basically the system of administration that we have come to recognise as neo-liberal, democratic society.

I could provide you with a plethora of links to material that supports all of the points I have made above, but I feel that it is much more beneficial for individuals to conduct their own research in the pursuit of knowledge, thus empowering one's self rather than perpetuating the authoritarian system we have all (well, most of us) come to accept as the norm. Of course, should you wish to tap into my resource bank at any time, I would be only too happy to provide any or all of my collection on the subject.

Yours in the fight for a free society, Mark.

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I fully agree with your last paragraph. I prefer to provide ideas in such away that gives reason to look for more information... I also agree with your other points, I guess I just have a different way of implementing them.

10. ecodharmamark

G'day Eric

And, I totally respect that. Diversity within our species (in thought, speech and action) is a beautiful thing, and something to be celebrated.

Peace Bro, Markus Australus.

11. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Through the Translation of Stephen Mitchell I will allow Lao-Tzu to speak for me on this...

If you want to be a great leader,
    you must learn to follow the Tao.
    Stop trying to control.
    Let go of fixed plans and concepts,
    and the world will govern itself.

The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

12. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Or perhaps even more succinctly...

If a country is governed with tolerance,
    the people are comfortable and honest.
    If a country is governed with repression,
    the people are depressed and crafty.

When the will to power is in charge,
    the higher the ideals, the lower the results.
    Try to make people happy,
    and you lay the groundwork for misery.
    Try to make people moral,
    and you lay the groundwork for vice.

Thus the Master is content
    to serve as an example
    and not to impose her will.
    She is pointed, but doesn't pierce.
    Straightforward, but supple.
    Radiant, but easy on the eyes.

13. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

"...When a Kitten escapes the safety of its nest, the Mother cat is quick to bring it back to the nest, even if that is by a strong hold to the neck...''

14. ppp

ppp Junior Member

what cheezes me off is hoity toity communist rants which are completely off-topic when people states something like not liking seeing parents kill their children.

15. frosty

frosty Junior Member

what cheezes me off is people who claim to want to live simply and care for the environmnt yet think it fine to run an Airconditioner !!

16. ecodharmamark

G'day ppp

My, get out of bed the wrong side, did we? Well, it is a 'what cheezes me off thread', so I guess you can be forgiven...

I can only assume that you are (mistakenly) referring to my posts as being "...hoity toity communist rants which are completely off-topic"?

In actual fact, and you would probably have known this if you had taken the time to read the said posts carefully, I am not a communist. Communalist (see: https://www.communalism.net/) yes; communist, never! There is a world of difference between the two ideologies.

As for being off topic: I did not bring up the subject big "L" law; the two posters that preceded my own did. I merely commented on the direction in which the thread was already heading. In relation to my communalist 'rant', it was in direct response to question asked of me.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to get another plug in for my favourite political ideology :mrgreen: .

Seriously, if you think my posts are bad, you should try living/working/studying/traveling with me; my family/colleagues/friends want to kill me at times.

Finally, I truly am sorry if indeed it was my post/s that upset you. I will try and temper my political fervour in the future.

I genuinely hope that you have a great day.

Peace and best wishes, Marko.

17. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

Television. Frequently. (Which, I guess, means it's my own fault really, since I'm frequently close enough and listening with at least one ear).

But seriously, opium of the people.

18. bernado soares

bernado soares Junior Member

I think you will find that religion is the opium of the people and television is the labotomy.
    What cheeses me off is if I want to go kill some one i dont know i can join an army they will give me a gun nice boots three square meals and a dashing uniform put me on a plane and point me the right way..
    If I want to go help someone I dont know ,I got to fund that myself buy my own clothes get my own ticket and bring my own supplies.
    Thats what cheeses me off human beans,they taught me to play nice in kindergarden,to share,not to be greedy,not to bully or fight and when I am all grown up it just turns out to be alot of shit......
    Bernado

19. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

Agreed, Bernardo, most definitely. Regarding opium and religion, though, I've heard the argument made that the true religion in much of the world for decades or even centuries now has actually been one of worshiping 'progress': scientific progress, economic growth, dominion over the whole world and even space one day. Seen in that light, TV is just the means of pushing this gospel that I find most intrusive in my own daily life, sending my children messages I don't agree with.

20. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Providing there are no personal or religious attacks i am not against any public airing of religious programs... if i don't believe with or agree with something i see, i simply turn it off or tune out...

What i really dislike is when one religion belittles another for any reason, especially personal gain.